UConn v UMass 2023 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn v UMass 2023

Reaction Score
I’m with you on this. For all its faults as a football venue, playing at Fenway would be fun and there is much more to do pre and post game in Boston. At Gillette there is a strip mall.
Agree and you can take the T in as well from Riverside. But I did have a pretty good time after a Springsteen concert in a hotel/motel bar whose name escapes me on Route 1. Fun is where you make it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But I did have a pretty good time after a Springsteen concert in a hotel/motel bar whose name escapes me on Route 1. Fun is where you make it.
Sounds like the Fusion Lounge to me.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to this getting announced 2 weeks ago? Lol...
I think it’s going to be announced with along with our other CBSSN games before the end of May.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the Fusion Lounge to me.
It probably was the Fusion Lounge but that concert was about 11 years ago. I see that the lounge is now closed as announced by mymustang.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I wonder if the fact we are @ BC in late October is playing into a location decision?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Fusion Lounge in Foxboro is closed
Recently? I was there last month.

1684870001812.png

Reaction Score
If a “neutral” stadium is required, Yale Bowl is more accessible to both fan bases than Gillette. Another option……play at The Rent, and allocate 20,000 seats to each school. If, and only if, either school does not sell out its allocation 48 hours before kickoff, those tickets go on sale to the general public.

20,000-30,000 at The Rent would be much better TV imagery than the same at Gillette. My fear is only 15,000-20,000 at Gillette…not a good optic for building UConn’s brand to a potential Power conference suitor.

Reaction Score
If a “neutral” stadium is required, Yale Bowl is more accessible to both fan bases than Gillette. Another option……play at The Rent, and allocate 20,000 seats to each school. If, and only if, either school does not sell out its allocation 48 hours before kickoff, those tickets go on sale to the general public.

20,000-30,000 at The Rent would be much better TV imagery than the same at Gillette. My fear is only 15,000-20,000 at Gillette…not a good optic for building UConn’s brand to a potential Power conference suitor.
One game is not make or break our power conference chances. Only reason this is happening in Foxborough and not at UMass is cause the pandemic cancelled our home game, so this "neutral" game will make us even.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not the one at 105 Washington ave. The website said it's permanently closed and the last review on facebook dates back to 2018
I hate to break it to you, but the internet can be wrong. I had 2 Capt' Daughter's at the Fusion Lounge 105 Washington Ave on April 25th of this year before repairing to my room. Barely a hint of Carpet Fresh in the air, although the Blue Bunny machine was disappointingly out of service.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
If a “neutral” stadium is required, Yale Bowl is more accessible to both fan bases than Gillette
Why don't we go old school, Fitton Fielld?

PS as much as I love the Yale Bowl idea I had heard when the agreement was reached to allow the tennis center for concerts, Yale, West Haven zoning & city of New Haven agreed only non-Yale events at the Bowl could be local HS football and US team soccer games

Reaction Score

PS as much as I love the Yale Bowl idea I had heard when the agreement was reached to allow the tennis center for concerts, Yale, West Haven zoning & city of New Haven agreed only non-Yale events at the Bowl could be local HS football and US team soccer games
OT NY Post betting guru talked about the O/U bet for UMass getting to two wins yesterday, thought they would make it. Not a bettor so I don't understand over and under, but he thought them getting 2 was a good bet.

Reaction Score

When was the last concert at the Yale Bowl? I was at the Eagles, Heart and Little River Band show back in 1980. All the yards around the bowl were full of trash from the concert goers. I had a 35 mm camera and a zoom lense taking pictures of Anne and Nancy Wilson among others. I thought that I had great pictures only to discover that I loaded the film wrong. Perhaps a few too many beers. Good show none the less.

Reaction Score

Perfect size

Reaction Score
Oh for heaven’s sake, we aren’t playing at the Yale Bowl or Fitton Field. It will be either at Gillette or Fenway. It is a UMass home game. They want to try to build their own brand with their alumni and fans who are largely located in eastern Massachusetts. Kraft has allowed them to play at Gillette a number of times since they upgraded and it is likely he is doing so again. While I don’t love playing at either venue, I do like the idea of trying to develop UConn-UMass into something special. It might happen. It might not. But I appreciate that there is an effort to make a long term rivalry that is nearly evenly split into something. Given a choice I’d rather play UMass every year to end the season than some bland Sunbelt opponent. If it works it will be fun eventually. If not it’s better than playing FIU.

Reaction Score
Oh for heaven’s sake, we aren’t playing at the Yale Bowl or Fitton Field. It will be either at Gillette or Fenway. It is a UMass home game. They want to try to build their own brand with their alumni and fans who are largely located in eastern Massachusetts. Kraft has allowed them to play at Gillette a number of times since they upgraded and it is likely he is doing so again. While I don’t love playing at either venue, I do like the idea of trying to develop UConn-UMass into something special. It might happen. It might not. But I appreciate that there is an effort to make a long term rivalry that is nearly evenly split into something. Given a choice I’d rather play UMass every year to end the season than some bland Sunbelt opponent. If it works it will be fun eventually. If not it’s better than playing FIU.
Nobody is really serious about those options. You don't like playing PC because it's not the OBE but really love this? You live in Mass? This should not be a rivalry given our resource disparity. This is an advocacy of continuing in a program regression. I'd rather play JMU in the Sun Belt. I loved playing UMass in the Yankee Conference but don't recall anybody pining to play them after we moved to 1A except being in the playing rotation with the other past YC members.

Reaction Score
I heard this again from a Uconn source recently too. But Army-Navy at Gillette ? Thought Philly has been the go to for that game for years ?

Reaction Score
I heard this again from a Uconn source recently too. But Army-Navy at Gillette ? Thought Philly has been the go to for that game for years ?

Philly has been but they are trying the spread the wealth/exposure:

“Boston / Foxborough will be the host of the 2023 game on Dec. 9, Washington, DC / Landover, Md. will host the 2024 game on Dec. 14, Baltimore will host the 2025 game on Dec. 13, New York City / East Rutherford, N.J. will host the 2026 game on Dec. 12 and Philadelphia will host the 2027 game on Dec. 11.”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Normally its played in Philly but on rare occasions they'll play it at a different venue.

Not long after Giants Stadium (original) opened they played it there one year (~1982). They also played in the Rose Bowl once in the not too distant past and I believe a couple times in DC.

Reaction Score
Many on this forum that want a stadium on campus consider our present Dog House a neutral site. ;)
It’s a rust bucket. Makes me think of the creeping rust on the sides of the Titanic that Bob Ballard took.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom