UConn v UMass 2023 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn v UMass 2023

Reaction Score
Philly has been but they are trying the spread the wealth/exposure:

“Boston / Foxborough will be the host of the 2023 game on Dec. 9, Washington, DC / Landover, Md. will host the 2024 game on Dec. 14, Baltimore will host the 2025 game on Dec. 13, New York City / East Rutherford, N.J. will host the 2026 game on Dec. 12 and Philadelphia will host the 2027 game on Dec. 11.”
In the modern era spreading it around makes some sense but I think the general ethos of keeping it close to the academies is better. I still haven't been to a navy game.

I know some of you have done all 3, I've been to Army when I was in grad school, the closest I've been to Navy is the parking lot for the COVID shots (live in metro DC), and I could see Air Force from the interstate on the way to CO Springs.

Reaction Score
Quite the analogue for sure, not sure what would prompt a comment like this. As a season ticket holder and attendant at Rentschler
It’s built of concrete and steel, and I think red rust only comes from iron and steel.There’s rust all over the Rent, especially in the stairwells, and it seems like a river of rust in some places. If you’re “not sure what prompted a comment like this” then you must be blind.

Reaction Score
It’s built of concrete and steel, and I think red rust only comes from iron and steel.There’s rust all over the Rent, especially in the stairwells, and it seems like a river of rust in some places. If you’re “not sure what prompted a comment like this” then you must be blind.
Ah yes I must be blind. Blind to the fact that rust on the concrete does not deture from the fact I am there to watch a game and not critique the wall paper. Our tailgate is open to opponent fans and have heard many a compliment on the stadium.
Some, actually many feel they need a Taj Mahal to watch a sporting event, sad but true.

The water and snow / freezing issues have been well documented and being worked on. You may not actually follow the team or the news. I hope this helps.

Are there a few flaws with the building? Hell yea! But simply minor to what happened on the field for ten years! The Team and the building heading in the right direction, I hope you will embrace it. PM me and stop by our tailgate, our Chef Ptomaine can toss slander and barbs with the best of them. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Rent is great. The German National Football team will be playing there because the pitch is awesome.
So good marketing guys on the Rent event staff?

Reaction Score
Ah yes I must be blind. Blind to the fact that rust on the concrete does not deture from the fact I am there to watch a game and not critique the wall paper. Our tailgate is open to opponent fans and have heard many a compliment on the stadium.
Some, actually many feel they need a Taj Mahal to watch a sporting event, sad but true.

The water and snow / freezing issues have been well documented and being worked on. You may not actually follow the team or the news. I hope this helps.

Are there a few flaws with the building? Hell yea! But simply minor to what happened on the field for ten years! The Team and the building heading in the right direction, I hope you will embrace it. PM me and stop by our tailgate, our Chef Ptomaine can toss slander and barbs with the best of them. ;)
Is it common in FBS for a college football team to have to pay $174,000 in rent for each game on their home field? What a joke.:eek:

Reaction Score
Is it common in FBS for a college football team to have to pay $174,000 in rent for each game on their home field? What a joke.:eek:
Good God. So if I say “is it common for a FBS college football team to have a stadium to play in without having laid out the capital to build the stadium” would that be meaningful to this debate? Because I’m fairly sure the state would have allowed the University to lay out the capital and play rent free if the school had wanted to.

Reaction Score
Good God. So if I say “is it common for a FBS college football team to have a stadium to play in without having laid out the capital to build the stadium” would that be meaningful to this debate? Because I’m fairly sure the state would have allowed the University to lay out the capital and play rent free if the school had wanted to.
You do realize that rent and other costs add up to well over a million dollars a year, the athletic department has to pay the state to play in a stadium that is badly in need of repairs. It’s a joke. Just build a new state of the art stadium on campus that the school (and other sports as well) can call its own and use much more efficiently as well as help recruit better athletes. Do that and other schools and P5 conferences will take notice, and a $30 million to $45 million annual conference distribution would pay big dividends as well. Only reason you and your buddies want to keep the Rent (no pun intended) going is to have those hotdogs, potato salad, and chicken wings in a cracked broken down parking lot.

Reaction Score
You do realize that rent and other costs add up to well over a million dollars a year, the athletic department has to pay the state to play in a stadium that is badly in need of repairs. It’s a joke. Just build a new state of the art stadium on campus that the school (and other sports as well) can call its own and use much more efficiently as well as help recruit better athletes. Do that and other schools and P5 conferences will take notice, and a $30 million to $45 million annual conference distribution would pay big dividends as well. Only reason you and your buddies want to keep the Rent (no pun intended) going is to have those hotdogs, potato salad, and chicken wings in a cracked broken down parking lot.
You’re upset they don’t play games on campus. That’s fine. It’s rational. What’s not rational is to think that someone who uses a stadium doesn’t have to either fund the stadium construction or pay rent.

Reaction Score
Only reason you and your buddies want to keep the Rent (no pun intended) going is to have those hotdogs, potato salad, and chicken wings in a cracked broken down parking lot.
Not sure of what creates your bitterness but you constantly make false comments, why? Any knowledge of the back ground of Rentschler Field and why? Do you attend games of other sports on campus? Any Idea of where you would put a stadium? That with parking for 40,000?
Obviously you do not attend sporting games on campus as previous posts have you saying access roads and infrastructure are not a problem. This could not be father from the truth. My last comment on this one with you, and wish you well.
GO HUSKIES !!!!!

Reaction Score
You’re upset they don’t play games on campus. That’s fine. It’s rational. What’s not rational is to think that someone who uses a stadium doesn’t have to either fund the stadium construction or pay rent.
Since it’s a land grant state school, shouldn’t the state pay for a new on campus stadium? Is that a rational thought??? Did the men’s and women’s basketball teams pay for Gampel when it was built? Did the baseball team pay for its beautiful new field and stadium? BTW, keep your “Good God’s” to yourself and maybe you’ll get more rational and cordial replies. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Iron oxide is red, and a common cementitious material used in creating concrete, mostly common in concrete that has a higher water-cement ratio or when it is exposed to water shortly after being poured. If there are cracks and the rebar is exposed, then its rusting could also be a source of the color. Sealing the cracks and surfaces can prevent further discoloration.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Iron oxide is red, and a common cementitious material used in creating concrete, mostly common in concrete that has a higher water-cement ratio or when it is exposed to water shortly after being poured. If there are cracks and the rebar is exposed, then its rusting could also be a source of the color. Sealing the cracks and surfaces can prevent further discoloration.
Preventing further cosmetic discoloration is not the main issue. The main issue is constant rusting and weakening of the rebar over 20 or so years definitely is, and is very serious.

Reaction Score
Since it’s a land grant state school, shouldn’t the state pay for a new on campus stadium? Is that a rational thought??? Did the men’s and women’s basketball teams pay for Gampel when it was built? Did the baseball team pay for its beautiful new field and stadium? BTW, keep your “Good God’s” to yourself and maybe you’ll get more rational and cordial replies. :rolleyes:
Gampel and the new athletic facilities (including the baseball stadium) were built in large part by private donations.

Reaction Score
Gampel and the new athletic facilities (including the baseball stadium) were built in large part by private donations.
Lamont could have taxpayers foot the bill, but a wealthy benefactor or two or three, could step up. It would not surprise me. Spending about one quarter of what it would cost to build a new stadium on fixing Rentschler is a colossal waste. If people knew what was buried under the old air field, no one would want to go there, much less tailgate cooking and eating. Was there an organized funding drive for Gampel and the baseball facility?

Reaction Score
UConn football is actually paying about $100,000 per home game to pay for the baseball, soccer, and hockey fields. $5 from each football ticket is technically one of the ways they are paying for those stadiums.

Reaction Score
Preventing further cosmetic discoloration is not the main issue. The main issue is constant rusting and weakening of the rebar over 20 or so years definitely is, and is very serious.
You would think so. right. Was this a matter of not replacing the caulking between section joints or filling cracks in the structure? That would suck as it seems it would be normal, yearly upkeep that wasn't done. The plan is to pay 12MM/yr over the next 5 years. According to the article from the CT Insider, the roofing and technical upgrades will be prioritized first. Its a 2 year state budget IIRC. As far as on campus, I think upgrading or building a basketball arena will be done before a football stadium is considered.

Reaction Score

Give it up. There will never be an on campus stadium for football at UConn. And your state of the art stadium will be talked down about like you’re doing with the rent 20 yrs after it’s never built

Reaction Score
Give it up. There will never be an on campus stadium for football at UConn. And your state of the art stadium will be talked down about like you’re doing with the rent 20 yrs after it’s never built
I'd be happy with the university just owning whatever comes next because I feel like state stewardship doesn't actually help much. Putting things on the university ledger gives them an interest in developing the facility and they're routinely in the business of marketing as it is so you're giving it to people who know what they're doing. Maybe that's not really feasibly flipping facilities from one ledger to another but clearly Rentschler, the parts that surround the field, are quickly entering into decay.

Reaction Score
Spending about one quarter of what it would cost to build a new stadium on fixing Rentschler is a colossal waste.
So you think they could build a competitive 40,000 seat football stadium for $100M today? Did you see what the less than 3,000 seat hockey arena cost? You are proposing to build an on-campus facility for what the Rent cost 20 years ago on a large, open, flat donated site a few hundred yards from an interstate highway that required comparatively much less site, parking and access development.

Reaction Score
FYI: As of 2017, it was reported building a football stadium on the Tampa campus of the University of South Florida would cost an estimated $200 million. Price estimate now $340M. But in 2015 when Texas A&M renovated its existing stadium price was $485 million.

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field was not only poorly constructed at its inception, a veritable rusted out jalopy in waiting, it was also misdesigned. It was not originally intended to have the two tier concept where wandering fans are too often missing from their seats. (The designer, who once missed a big play at Giants stadium when getting a hot dog—not a joke—wanted fans to have the ability to see the action while in the concession concourse). Sadly, we got the design we have, when what the stadium needed (IMHO) were more massive seating sections with lots of vomitories—such as OK State below. We could also use a Boone Pickens sized donor checkbook. Hopefully any new stadium concept will be more thoughtfully designed.
IMG_4056.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom