UConn Trustees OK Plan To Replace Gampel Pavilion Court | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Trustees OK Plan To Replace Gampel Pavilion Court

Reaction Score
If your numbers are correct 115X75X$154=1,328,250! At this rate they could do the replacement cost free. That 8,625 is sq feet, I would be happy with a 6" x 6" section.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The piece would be board width and 3-4 inches long. They will cost more than $100.

My guess is a framed/numbered plaque with a stock photo and perhaps a locator graphic for about $249 each. Autographed for $500 depending on who.

A larger piece with the entire '99 squad could probably sell for $10K. I'm sure that professionals exist who could figure this out, but Dave is welcome to steal this if I can have one of the fancy ones as a fee.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hell, you could just keep on selling pieces of court even if they didn't come from Gampel since nobody would ever know the difference.
200.gif

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Only the 94x50 of the main floor is hard and fast. The 20x25 is an estimate. It could be less. My wife got me courtside seats for preseason Celtics/Knicks (Shaq on the C's) at the XL Center for my birthday. I remember my chair being on the subfloor, but my feet were on the court wood.

Of course this is assuming they aren't replacing the entire floor. I think there is room for three full courts when they roll back the lower bowl for practices (and intramurals?). It can be done, but I'd imagine it would be B__ch and half to match a new court to the existing floor.

If they replace the entire thing, the court area could be sold for $154 (BTW, where did that # come from?) and a portion of the floor under the stands and/or tunnel could be sold for a bit less.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Great idea. My wife bought me a plaque commemorating the 1999 NC and it came complete with a piece of the floor from the Final Four.

Or did it?
Hell, you could just keep on selling pieces of court even if they didn't come from Gampel since nobody would ever know the difference.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If the planks are 6" wide and were sold in 12" sections for $100 sans autograph the gross would be $764,400 (if my math is correct) Limit the number of signature planks to drive up demand and the price goes through the roof. To get one of a hundred Kemba or Okafor or Ray or Rip or Khalid signature would go for some astronomical number. If he plays it right Benedict can refurbish all of Gample. Have it all processed with signatures, distribution and marketing and sell it next October and play the Christmas market. My mind is going crazy with ideas for this . I've got to stop :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the planks are 6" wide and were sold in 12" sections for $100 sans autograph the gross would be $764,400 (if my math is correct) Limit the number of signature planks to drive up demand and the price goes through the roof. To get one of a hundred Kemba or Okafor or Ray or Rip or Khalid signature would go for some astronomical number. If he plays it right Benedict can refurbish all of Gample. Have it all processed with signatures, distribution and marketing and sell it next October and play the Christmas market. My mind is going crazy with ideas for this . I've got to stop :rolleyes:
Somebody get this man a job in the marketing department

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There's not much point to excluding the out of bounds area, as it looks exactly the same as the rest of the court and once cut into squares, you'd never have any idea where your square came from if it didn't have part of the paint on it.

I want the piece Rodney would rest his foot on when taking a three.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The piece would be board width and 3-4 inches long. They will cost more than $100.

My guess is a framed/numbered plaque with a stock photo and perhaps a locator graphic for about $249 each. Autographed for $500 depending on who.

A larger piece with the entire '99 squad could probably sell for $10K. I'm sure that professionals exist who could figure this out, but Dave is welcome to steal this if I can have one of
The portion of the floor mounted on the 1999 Championship plaque was 7.5 inches by 2.5 inches and fit nicely on the 12 by 15 inch plaque. Neither of us remember what it cost but at the time the cost didn't have any meaning compared to the thrill of finally seeing the men win one!

It would be great to list all the years for the championships won by the men and women on this floor and include signatures if possible for a special set. Maybe the MVP's of each tournament would sign.....as long as they were from UConn, as I believe they all were.

Since I was there on opening night in 1990 I'd be willing to sign and would donate my usual fee to the Dee Rowe Scholarship Fund.....:rolleyes:
1670612589209.png

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
The portion of the floor mounted on the 1999 Championship plaque was 7.5 inches by 2.5 inches and fit nicely on the 12 by 15 inch plaque. Neither of us remember what it cost but at the time the cost didn't have any meaning compared to the thrill of finally seeing the men win one!

View attachment 81721
I feel like it was 100 bucks. I thought about it, but did not pull the trigger for whatever reason. I regret it now.

Reaction Score

View attachment 81721
Dang! They can make over 100k units with sections of that size. I doubt there a 100k people who would want one, though.

Reaction Score
Dang! They can make over 100k units with sections of that size. I doubt there a 100k people who would want one, though.
Just imagine. 100,000 units at $1,000 apiece would yield $100,000,000. Even $100 apiece would yield $10,000,000 but finding that many buyers would be a BIG reach!

Now, maybe, just maybe, if the men were to "do something special this year" as JC used to say, there might be 5-10,000 buyers among the men's and women's fans for pieces of a floor where at least 15 National Champions played from 1990-2023.

Would help pay for the new floor and put some money aside for higher salaries for the Assistants in football and possibly some other items needing attention.

Reaction Score
duh.
and for the jim kramer business experts here, please try to remember that the materials, overhead, and labor necessary to make it into marketable products is also a part of the 'cost' equation.
kind of important.
Very true. Just get a bunch of boneyarders together with their own power tools and we can get it done! Compensation will be a piece of the floor signed by your favorite husky.

Reaction Score
Just ot cause some uproar, they will likely make purchasing a chunk of the floor a perk for season ticket holders only.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ahhhh, the end of the little-talked about Patoni planks. Family cousin, Tony Patoni ( not to be confused with Enzo's oldest brother, or his step-brother) was a Master carpenter and laid the floor in one stroke. It was amazing to see the video footage.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just imagine. 100,000 units at $1,000 apiece would yield $100,000,000. Even $100 apiece would yield $10,000,000 but finding that many buyers would be a BIG reach!

Now, maybe, just maybe, if the men were to "do something special this year" as JC used to say, there might be 5-10,000 buyers among the men's and women's fans for pieces of a floor where at least 15 National Champions played from 1990-2023.

Would help pay for the new floor and put some money aside for higher salaries for the Assistants in football and possibly some other items needing attention.
If we sell 100 units at $2000 apiece, can we use the excess profit to put a football stadium in Storrs?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I want one of those mini on-campus NBA arenas like Houston and Texas have.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
There's not much point to excluding the out of bounds area, as it looks exactly the same as the rest of the court and once cut into squares, you'd never have any idea where your square came from if it didn't have part of the paint on it.

There is precedent...
"You may have heard of the Charter Oak. It used to stand in Hartford... Anything that is made of its wood is deeply venerated by the inhabitants, and is regarded as very precious.
He took me around and showed me Charter Oak enough to build a plank road from here to Great Salt Lake City." - Mark Twain

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I paid $35 for a 2" × 6" piece of the floor from the 1999 final four, probably my favorite piece of UConn memorabilia sans my swim team warmup jacket that I absconded with from the cage...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom