UConn Trustees OK Plan To Replace Gampel Pavilion Court | The Boneyard

UConn Trustees OK Plan To Replace Gampel Pavilion Court

Reaction Score

-> The UConn Board of Trustees took care of its future Wednesday by approving a $688,480 budget to have it replaced. The funds are already in the Athletic Department budget, officials said. <-

-> Gampel Pavilion opened in 1990 and still features its original wood court. Because of its age and "current thickness," the floor can no longer be sanded as part of scheduled maintenance and is "beyond its useful life," officials said. Having been sanded and repaired as part of regular maintenance over the past 30-plus years, additional sanding could create risk of exposing the subfloor nails, according to project documents. <-

-> This project will include the removal of the existing wood flooring, inspection and repair of the subfloor, installation of a new maple floor system, sanding, finishing and final painting.

University officials are discussing ways to preserve pieces of the flooring. <-

Reaction Score

-> The UConn Board of Trustees took care of its future Wednesday by approving a $688,480 budget to have it replaced. The funds are already in the Athletic Department budget, officials said. <-

-> Gampel Pavilion opened in 1990 and still features its original wood court. Because of its age and "current thickness," the floor can no longer be sanded as part of scheduled maintenance and is "beyond its useful life," officials said. Having been sanded and repaired as part of regular maintenance over the past 30-plus years, additional sanding could create risk of exposing the subfloor nails, according to project documents. <-

-> This project will include the removal of the existing wood flooring, inspection and repair of the subfloor, installation of a new maple floor system, sanding, finishing and final painting.

University officials are discussing ways to preserve pieces of the flooring. <-

Replacement of the field house track and field hockey turf have also been approved by BOT.

Reaction Score
They could fund the entire project if they sell 1'x1' pieces of the court for $154 each. This assumes the playing surface is 91'x42' and only includes the playing surface, not the out of bounds area. Kerf is assumed to be negligible.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Please get rid of the stained wood inside the 3pt line
I don't mind the darker area, but the AAC logo has to go ;).

1670600641797.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They could fund the entire project if they sell 1'x1' pieces of the court for $154 each. This assumes the playing surface is 91'x42' and only includes the playing surface, not the out of bounds area. Kerf is assumed to be negligible.

My computer's math says 91x42x$154 comes up $100k short, but it would make a large dent.

Smaller sections which might be more easily framed or mounted or combined with a litho of Gampel could probably fetch a better dollar amount per unit but I like your line of thinking.

Reaction Score
My computer's math says 91x42x$154 comes up $100k short, but it would make a large dent.

Smaller sections which might be more easily framed or mounted or combined with a litho of Gampel could probably fetch a better dollar amount per unit but I like your line of thinking.
Good eye! I must have typed a 5 instead of a 6 when entering in the project cost.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I could be down for a piece of this history.

Reaction Score
There's not much point to excluding the out of bounds area, as it looks exactly the same as the rest of the court and once cut into squares, you'd never have any idea where your square came from if it didn't have part of the paint on it.

Hell, you could just keep on selling pieces of court even if they didn't come from Gampel since nobody would ever know the difference.

Reaction Score
There will be pretty large demand for this - they should use as an incentive to lock in season tix base - sign up for 3 year, get a piece of gampel with your name and engraved seat number - or something

Reaction Score
There's not much point to excluding the out of bounds area, as it looks exactly the same as the rest of the court and once cut into squares, you'd never have any idea where your square came from if it didn't have part of the paint on it.

Hell, you could just keep on selling pieces of court even if they didn't come from Gampel since nobody would ever know the difference.
Agreed as far as the out-of-bounds area goes. I just didn't know the overall dimensions, so I concentrated on the playing surface itself.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I believe the above are FIBA figures.

NCAA (NBA and WNBA) court dimensions are 94' x 50', but that is just the inbounds playing surface. One should also take into account the out-of-bounds area on the side and baselines, plus the floor under where the cheerleaders, journalists, scorers, and announcers are located.

The total area to be replaced will probably be a minimum of 115' x 75'. Adjust and recompute. ;)

Reaction Score
I believe the above are FIBA figures.

NCAA (NBA and WNBA) court dimensions are 94' x 50', but that is just the inbounds playing surface. One should also take into account the out-of-bounds area on the side and baselines, plus the floor under where the cheerleaders, journalists, scorers, and announcers are located.

The total area to be replaced will probably be a minimum of 115' x 75'. Adjust and recompute. ;)
At those dimensions, they could recoup the costs if they can get $80 per square foot piece (again ignoring kerf). There will of course be labor and materials involved to make a marketable product out of the floor segment, so let's call it $100 even. Only 8,625 available, so act now so you don't miss out!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom