UConn Football Class of 2022 NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info (12/15/21>12/17/21) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Class of 2022 NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info (12/15/21>12/17/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So this is Millen's 2nd transfer in as many years. Does he get to play next season and what's his deal? I love the pick up, but 2 transfers in back to back years is a bit worrisome.
How much of a bit?

Reaction Score
He couldn’t win the starting job at an FCS school that went 5-6. We’re supposed to be excited?
Yeah it's kind of weird. Oregon fans liked him though. But it seems like a weird scenario

Reaction Score
Yeah it's kind of weird. Oregon fans liked him though. But it seems like a weird scenario
In this case weird might be good. Some kids take longer to develop. Watched his Oregon practice tape. He has good size. Seems to move well. His release isn't really quick but it isn't slow. Good arm. His accuracy could be better but it might be more of an anticipation thing. Light years ahead of Jack Zergiotis. He's a definite upgrade to the QB room.

Reaction Score
That’s the first qb from the portal - we need one more to compete with Millen for the job.

Reaction Score
He couldn’t win the starting job at an FCS school that went 5-6. We’re supposed to be excited?
He played some, but why he didn’t play more is a question.

As for Northern Arizona, they played a tough schedule. They played the FCS ranked 1, 5, 8, 14, and 17 and they beat Arizona at Arizona.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
He played some, but why he didn’t play more is a question.

As for Northern Arizona, they played a tough schedule. They played the FCS ranked 1, 5, 8, 14, and 17 and they beat Arizona at Arizona.
The starter was there the year before, they must have been happy with him..CM played a little when the starter got hurt..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In this case weird might be good. Some kids take longer to develop. Watched his Oregon practice tape. He has good size. Seems to move well. His release isn't really quick but it isn't slow. Good arm. His accuracy could be better but it might be more of an anticipation thing. Light years ahead of Jack Zergiotis. He's a definite upgrade to the QB room.

You’d think a fan base that was convinced that a guy on our bench who played too early in his career was terrible would learn something now that that guy started a game for the Detroit Lions this year. Pro style QBs have a steeper adjustment than guys who run around.

Reaction Score

-> At UConn, he’ll be a running back, receiver and kick returner as Mora intends to find ways to get the ball in Rosa’s hands. Edsall’s staff had envisioned him as a receiver.

“There really isn’t anything that he can not do,” Mora said. “We plan to use him as a running back and slot [receiver], trying to get him matched up on a linebacker, on a safety. We want to get him the ball in space so he can use his speed, athleticism, quickness to his advantage and ours.”

Rosa is close friends with Donovan Clingan, the 7-1 center at Bristol Central who committed to UConn to play basketball. When Randy Edsall retired and Mora came with an entirely new staff, Rosa began doing research.

“That definitely had me questionable,” Rosa said, “so I had to sit back and weigh my options. The new coaching staff came in and I took my official visit that weekend and the bond we made was amazing, the plans we talked about were amazing as well. Everything fell into place. I feel coach Mora believes in me and I definitely believe in him. The whole plan with them using me in the backfield and in the slot, it’s a great opportunity.”<-

Reaction Score
Love the Jake Guidone pickup. Big Athletic Lineman used to be a blocking TE. Looks like he played 3 seasons. Not sure if that leaves him 1 Left or 2.
It would appear he has one year of eligibility left based on this article from September:

-> Because of the Covid void and not having gone over the playing-time cutoff as a freshman tackle, Guidone had two seasons of NCAA eligibility remaining. <-

Reaction Score
You’d think a fan base that was convinced that a guy on our bench who played too early in his career was terrible would learn something now that that guy started a game for the Detroit Lions this year. Pro style QBs have a steeper adjustment than guys who run around.

But I don’t get your point. Fine, ignore adjectives. Don’t have to call a kid terrible or great. But can’t we care about whether he’s going to help us win games rather than what he might be in his late 20s? Whatever you call Boyle, do I have to care that a young man who couldn’t help us win ends up as a pro?

We know just two things about this young man beyond that Mora wanted him. That he was highly thought of by recruiting services coming out of high school, and that he didn’t win the starting job at NAU. To me, the latter fact is more important than the former. Look, if Mora wanted him glad he came, and I hope he helps us be much better. But there is no reason to assume that a young man who was the back up at NAU is going to change our trajectory.

Reaction Score
Welp after 16 hours my eyes are blurry and thumbs are numb: Here’s where we stand after Day 1:
  1. Timothy Passmore (DL) - Cocoa High School, Cocoa Florida (UConn Commit 6/10/21) (Edsall)
  2. Brady Wayburn (OL) - Gastonia North Carolina>The Loomis Chaffe School, Windsor CT (UConn Commit 6/20/21) (Edsall)
  3. D’Mon Brinson (DB) - Dillard High School, Ft. Lauderdale Florida (UConn Commit 6/22/21) (Edsall)
  4. Victor Rosa (RB/ATH) - Bristol Central High School, Bristol CT (UConn Commit 7/14/21) (Edsall)
  5. Donovan Branch (DL) - Foundation Academy, Winter Garden Florida (UConn Commit 6/20/21>Decommitted 10/2/21>Recommitted 12/5/21)
  6. Nathan Voorhis (DL) - Stroudsburg High School, Stroudsburg PA (UConn Commit 6/11/21>Decommitted 10/17/21>Recommitted 12/6/21)
  7. Derek Spearman (DB) - Cornelius North Carolina>The Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor CT (UConn Commit 12/5/21) (Mora)
  8. Denzel Mountali-Johnstown (ATH) - Vancouver BC>The Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor CT (UConn Commit 12/5/21) (Mora)
  9. Kylish Hicks (WR) - Mergenthaler Vo-Tech High School, Baltimore, Maryland (UConn Commit 12/12/21) (Mora)
  10. Ben Murawski (OL) - Harleysville PA>St Thomas More School Oakdale CT (UConn Commit 12/12/21) (Mora)
  11. Nigel Fitzgerald (WR) - Greensboro, North Carolina> ODU (UConn Commit 2/13/21) (Grad Transfer) (Mora)
  12. Justin Joly (TE) - Iona Prep High School, New Rochelle New York (Delaware Commit>Decommitted 11/29/21>UConn Commit 12/13/21) (Mora)
  13. Bo Estes (TE) Tulsa Oklahoma>Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College (JUCO), Miami Oklahoma (UConn Commit 12/13/21) (Mora)
  14. Matt Hoffman (DL) - Cheltenham High School, Wyncote PA (VaTech Commit 6/19/21>Decommit>UConn Commit 12/15/21) (Mora)
  15. Cale Millen (QB) - Snoqualmie, Washington>Northern Arizona University. UConn Commit 2/15/21) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  16. Jake Guidone (OL/TE) - East Walpole MA>Dartmouth College, Hanover New Hampshire (UConn Commit 11/15/21) (Grad Transfer) (Mora)

Reaction Score

Funny thing about the QB job, you can only have one stud per team ... if you have 3 in the quarterback room it doesn't raise your WL easily. The kid - frosh RJ Martinez threw 14 TDS and only 2 Int with good yardage. He tied Texas HS records with Kyler Murray and Manziel. And this kid Cale transfer there and was always behind him. NAU gave him and 2 others some plays. But you have to think, Martinez had a solid 1st year.

Our UCONN QB slot has gotten better. Zergiotis is departed ... and I wish he had better results. But that's it. Millen raises the possibility set; Phommachanh and Krajewski have some good days coming. WE will grab a Frosh in this year's signings. Maybe another in the portal. We got better because - when you look at the Millen raw talent & attributes - Charlton (who is key) has something to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom