UConn Football Class of 2022 NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info (12/15/21>12/17/21) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Class of 2022 NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info (12/15/21>12/17/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'll be disappointed with 3 wins and I'm not as convinced we've improved the OL all that much if at all. I'm certain we haven't improved the pass rush for next season but I like some of the incoming freshman for down the road. I do like the QB we brought in on paper. Truth is we weren't signing any slam dunk impact players free of questions. I whole heartedly agree we left a lot of wins on the field due to coaching and that and QB accuracy are where I'm looking for a huge improvement.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Or did he wait until after they signed to announce it?
I suppose that is a possibility, but it does not really align with the two re-commits being on the defensive side of the ball and the slew of positive tweets when the announcement was made.

Reaction Score
The recruiting class looks okay. Our classes will be underrated because the pundits won't give UConn offers any credence. Besides, who knows what the 17 and 18 year olds we recruit will perform like when they are 20 and 21?

The bigger issue is that it is impossible to tell how much talent is currently in Storrs because the bus was being driven by morons. Now that adults are in charge (minus Spanos), I expect a higher level of performance by returning guys.

Reaction Score
I'll be disappointed with 3 wins and I'm not as convinced we've improved the OL all that much if at all. I'm certain we haven't improved the pass rush for next season but I like some of the incoming freshman for down the road. I do like the QB we brought in on paper. Truth is we weren't signing any slam dunk impact players free of questions. I whole heartedly agree we left a lot of wins on the field due to coaching and that and QB accuracy are where I'm looking for a huge improvement.

I think we are looking at 3-5 wins.

Reaction Score
Agree the OL needs a big upgrade and Mora was able to get visits from Hammond - former Florida signee, Nelson - Oklahoma portal transfer and Le Boucher - offers from Missouri and ASU, shows the program is appealing to good Olinemen but need to seal deal with a couple of them.

Reaction Score
Onto February 2nd...
  1. Timothy Passmore (DL) - Cocoa High School, Cocoa Florida (UConn Commit 6/10/21) (Edsall)
  2. Brady Wayburn (OL) - Gastonia North Carolina>The Loomis Chaffe School, Windsor CT (UConn Commit 6/20/21) (Edsall)
  3. D’Mon Brinson (DB) - Dillard High School, Ft. Lauderdale Florida (UConn Commit 6/22/21) (Edsall)
  4. Victor Rosa (RB/ATH) - Bristol Central High School, Bristol CT (UConn Commit 7/14/21) (Edsall)
  5. Donovan Branch (DL) - Foundation Academy, Winter Garden Florida (UConn Commit 6/20/21>Decommitted 10/2/21>Recommitted 12/5/21)
  6. Nathan Voorhis (DL) - Stroudsburg High School, Stroudsburg PA (UConn Commit 6/11/21>Decommitted 10/17/21>Recommitted 12/6/21)
  7. Derek Spearman (DB) - Cornelius North Carolina>The Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor CT (UConn Commit 12/5/21) (Mora)
  8. Denzel Mountali-Johnstown (ATH) - Vancouver BC>The Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor CT (UConn Commit 12/5/21) (Mora)
  9. Kylish Hicks (WR) - Mergenthaler Vo-Tech High School, Baltimore, Maryland (UConn Commit 12/12/21) (Mora)
  10. Ben Murawski (OL) - Harleysville PA>St Thomas More School Oakdale CT (UConn Commit 12/12/21) (Mora)
  11. Nigel Fitzgerald (WR) - Greensboro, North Carolina> ODU (UConn Commit 2/13/21) (Grad Transfer) (Mora)
  12. Justin Joly (TE) - Iona Prep H.S., New Rochelle New York (Delaware Commit>Decommitted 11/29/21>UConn Commit 12/13/21) (Mora)
  13. Bo Estes (TE) Tulsa Oklahoma>Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College (JUCO), Miami Oklahoma (UConn Commit 12/13/21) (Mora)
  14. Matt Hoffman (DL) - Cheltenham High School, Wyncote PA (VaTech Commit 6/19/21>Decommitted>UConn Commit 12/15/21) (Mora)
  15. Cale Millen (QB) - Snoqualmie, Washington>Northern Arizona University. UConn Commit 2/15/21) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  16. Jake Guidone (OL/TE) - East Walpole MA>Dartmouth College, Hanover New Hampshire (UConn Commit 11/15/21) (Grad Transfer) (Mora)
Who did we offer is still available? I'd love to see some that didn't sign get offered by us. Anyone has a list? Any QBs still unsign?

Reaction Score
Who did we offer is still available? I'd love to see some that didn't sign get offered by us. Anyone has a list? Any QBs still unsign?
Hit the hyperlink in the post… it takes you here:

Reaction Score
Next year's improvements are going to come from coaching staff improvements and stability, added experience across the board, getting a couple of WR's back from injuries, and maybe a surprise from one or two of the incoming players (I think Rosa could do that as a slot receiver, hopefully Guidone, and maybe one of the DL's). Next year won't be a drastic improvement but it could be a 3 or 4 win season, which would be a good first step.
Isn't 3 or 4 wins a drastic improvement over 1 win?

Reaction Score
You need to manage your expectations. Of course we COULD recruit a game changer or two. But best not to expect that.

Hark back to the bigger faster stronger days of August and recall the change in tone of those gushing about getting to six wins as soon as the Fresno two deep came out. It was PALPABLE and profound. Holy excrement, these guys are all redshirt juniors, seniors, and grads. And look at their SIZE. How the hell is UConn gonna compete with THIS team. Just to paraphrase some of the comments.

My recommendation is to take off the rose colored glasses, set realistic expectations, and be head over heels surprised and excited if they are exceeded. Four wins is not a reasonable expectation.
Says you. The crap that was UConn this year was close to 0 wins but almost as close to 3. And without the non Spanos UMess game farts could have stolen another win.

UMass and Central - I'm putting UConn as winners.
FIU was 1-11 this year - I'm putting UConn as winners.
Ball State lost to Wyoming 45-12; Utah State lost to Wyoming 44-17 - UConn wins one of these.
Other 7 games UConn pulls out a win (look out Michigan).

That's 5 wins; give UConn a one game "how did we play that bad" game among those 5 and that is still 4 wins.

My recommendation is you keep your "realistic" expectations and I'll keep mine.

Reaction Score
There's probably more than a few uncommitted guys out there that we're talking to that could help us. I'd agree it would be nice to get a couple of experienced lineman on both sides but its possible 1 quality OL and one DL would help tremendously from where we are now. Younger guys could fill the depth chart behind them. Linebacking is still thin and another plug n play athlete there would be very helpful. Coaches have been operating on a condensed timetable and are probably still branching out and constantly evaluating where we are. Looking forward to these next weeks knowing whoever comes here won't be shortchanged by a staff with training wheels slowing them down.

Reaction Score
Isn't 3 or 4 wins a drastic improvement over 1 win?
My point is that we probably should have won a couple more games this year and so to think that overnight we become drastically better (i.e. like a 6 or 7 win team) is unrealistic, especially given the 2022 schedule.

Reaction Score
Says you. The crap that was UConn this year was close to 0 wins but almost as close to 3. And without the non Spanos UMess game farts could have stolen another win.

UMass and Central - I'm putting UConn as winners.
FIU was 1-11 this year - I'm putting UConn as winners.
Ball State lost to Wyoming 45-12; Utah State lost to Wyoming 44-17 - UConn wins one of these.
Other 7 games UConn pulls out a win (look out Michigan).

That's 5 wins; give UConn a one game "how did we play that bad" game among those 5 and that is still 4 wins.

My recommendation is you keep your "realistic" expectations and I'll keep mine.
Ah, the snark. A 1968 grad makes his points and proves once again that the learning process sometimes stops upon commencement.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think we are looking at 3-5 wins.

I'd sign for 5 right now. I wouldn't even care which 5. But, to say we have a tough schedule is silly. It's tough for a 100+ level team. It's not tough for a 60-70 ranked team. 60-70 is bowl eligible level and while we are certainly not that, I have a hard time swallowing that there is a huge difference in athleticism between team 70 and team 100. 130 is another story but I think there is less difference between 100 and 130. Committment, culture (coaching) and execution should next you at least an upset or two.

CCSU, UMass, FIU and Ball State (mid-level MAC) team have to be must wins. Army (again, execution) and pick off Cuse is the most likely path to 5-6. I'm all in on this concept of critical mass in terms of filling a couple gaping holes in the roster and a competent scheme would make a huge difference.

Then again, I can easily see us holding on against CCSU and FIU and winning a jump ball with UMass for a 3 win season. Crap, Mora has a lot of work to do.

Reaction Score
I'd sign for 5 right now. I wouldn't even care which 5. But, to say we have a tough schedule is silly. It's tough for a 100+ level team. It's not tough for a 60-70 ranked team. 60-70 is bowl eligible level and while we are certainly not that, I have a hard time swallowing that there is a huge difference in athleticism between team 70 and team 100. 130 is another story but I think there is less difference between 100 and 130. Committment, culture (coaching) and execution should next you at least an upset or two.

CCSU, UMass, FIU and Ball State (mid-level MAC) team have to be must wins. Army (again, execution) and pick off Cuse is the most likely path to 5-6. I'm all in on this concept of critical mass in terms of filling a couple gaping holes in the roster and a competent scheme would make a huge difference.

Then again, I can easily see us holding on against CCSU and FIU and winning a jump ball with UMass for a 3 win season. Crap, Mora has a lot of work to do.
Generally agree with you. Yes, when you're ranked 130 and you don't really have an incumbent/solid answer at QB then our schedule is somewhat difficult. Even when we were in the 50-75 strength range Army is no picnic - just because of their unique offense. So, 3 wins would be my minimum and I'd be frustrated as heck, 4 would be nice, and 5 would be really nice for JM's first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom