UConn Football Class of 2022 NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info (12/15/21>12/17/21) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Class of 2022 NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info (12/15/21>12/17/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This team has some talented kids. So far today they've added a couple of big boys up front and a couple of speed rushers. Two areas they needed improvement. Let's see how the rest of the week plays out and how the portal works out. As many of you have said, a QB and more OL will be areas of focus.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 5m
Jim Mora: "We're excited about our first class. When you come into new situation, you have two choices -- you can see the class a little bit and start building toward future, or you can attack it."

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 4m
Donovan Branch, DL/LB, had decommitted from UConn but got back on board after meeting with new staff.

D'mon Brinson, a DB who "makes the play at the moment of truth," Mora says.

Bo Estes, TE, is "a tremendous athlete who can work in space and create matchup problems," Mora said. "We like his athleticism."

Kylish Hicks, WR, "a wide receiver as we see him now, but when you watch his film you see him equally adept at playing defensive back."

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 3m
Justin Joly, TE, "Just a tremendous athlete. Still has a ways to go in developing his body. But when you see him move in space, his hands ... and his run after the catch, you say this guy has special traits," Mora said.

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 2m
Denzel Mountali, athlete from Vancouver and Loomis Chafee, "We stayed local, giving a priority to this state. Hit the prep schools and his schools hard," Mora said.

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 2m
Ben Murawski, 6-6, OL, "is a massive man. He'll play around 320, 325 pounds. He's got 6 1/2 size hands, size 18 feet. He's a massive man," More said.

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 1m
Tim Passmore, DL from Cocoa, Fla., "an interior defensive lineman. He's the only guy on here I have not met. He really placed his faith in us and we've placed our faith in him. We've talked, we've zoomed, but I haven't shaken his hand."

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 1m
Victor Rosa, RB, Bristol Central, one of first to visit Mora, with family. "When you watch this guy's film, there really isn't anything he can't do. We played to use him as a running back, slot [receiver]," Mora said.

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 53s
Derek Spearman, DB from Davidson, N.C., and Loomis ... "Nate decommitted and came back on second official visit and recommitted. He can rush off the edge, drop into space a little. He may grow into a defensive tackle. Helps us immediately, putting pressure on the qb," Mora said.

Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 38s
Brady Wayburn, OL, "Big, broad shouldered athletic guy we think is really going to help us in the interior."

** Mora talked about Voorhis but Mike missed it.

Reaction Score
There is still a second signing period in February. With the transfer portal, there is no reason to fill your entire class in the early signing period, especially with a new staff in place.
Sorry if some of this was stated previously (busy at work)

- Also with Joly listed as a TE and Estes at TE, the assumption that Hoffman is a done deal is probably not accurate.

- While I like the 2 OL we signed - it is flat out imperative that we sign at least 2 maybe 3 from the portal.

- For the love of God we need at least a portal QB and and FR QB.

- Our top rated recruits were all RE recruits. Not dishing JM and Staff just facts

- We lost higher rated recruits then what we brought in. Again not dishing JM just the state of where we are.

- Odd no announcement on Nigel Fitzgerald.

- JM seems to view Denzel as a OLB possibly a very good one at that.

- No surprises, hopefully we get some JUCO and Portal signees the next 2 days (I mean I am shocked we haven't grabbed more yet that want to come into a situation where they can start day 1.) Edited to note the recent reports that we may have a few announcements throughout the day, that is good news.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They did say earlier this morning that announcements would be made throughout the day. So maybe a surprise or two. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony @ManthonyHearst 53s
Derek Spearman, DB from Davidson, N.C., and Loomis ... "Nate decommitted and came back on second official visit and recommitted. He can rush off the edge, drop into space a little. He may grow into a defensive tackle. Helps us immediately, putting pressure on the qb," Mora said.

** Mora talked about Voorhis but Mike missed it.

Do you mean talked about Spearman? That is very clearly a Nate Voorhis quote.

Reaction Score
Even dozen for now…

Also interesting they list him as an athlete (rather than TE) and sounds like Mora is considering him on D in the presser. If I heard him right he was comparing him to a LB that played for him. Makes sense numbers wise with Estes and Joly also listed as TE's in their signing tweets.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its clear - Mora is showing a interest in those DE/TE tweeners. Lets see if that continues with the Feb signing period as well.

I remember the last time Cincinnati came to the Rent, every dude on that sideline looked to be 6'4 and 240.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A thought about transfers - this is UConn, so kids need to academically qualify and maybe that process has impacted the signing day splash. Lets see how we do with enrollment come January. Bo Estes probably had a nice little transcript ready from a JUCO school positioned to bang those out, while the others might have a more involved/delayed process to get things in order.

Reaction Score
A thought about transfers - this is UConn, so kids need to academically qualify and maybe that process has impacted the signing day splash. Lets see how we do with enrollment come January. Bo Estes probably had a nice little transcript ready from a JUCO school positioned to bang those out, while the others might have a more involved/delayed process to get things in order.
Also I don't know about Juco's ( Estes) being able to actually sign, evidentially so. But I remember Edsall making this comment regarding transfers "(RE) suggested adding a binding letter of intent to the transfer process, to avoid situations like the one he experienced this offseason when defensive lineman Michael Hinton abruptly switched his commitment from UConn to Tulane." I don't know if that's still the case, because IIRC, Hinton signed an aid agreement, but it still wasn't binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom