Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
Noticed something on the UConn baseball roster that is listed online on the UConn athletics website. Last season and early editions of the 2022 UConn fall ball roster, Ben Huber was listed as a 1B/LHP. Now on the roster he is just listed as a 1B, the LHP part has been dropped. So it would seem unlikely that Huber will be used as a pitcher in the upcoming season. Thinking that for UConn baseball Huber's bat and fielding value are so valuable to the team that it cancels out any contributions he could possibly make as a relief pitcher. It may also be an indication on the amount of depth the coaching staff feels that this season's UConn pitching staff has, to the degree that they don't have to consider at this point using Huber on the mound.

Reaction Score
Noticed something on the UConn baseball roster that is listed online on the UConn athletics website. Last season and early editions of the 2022 UConn fall ball roster, Ben Huber was listed as a 1B/LHP. Now on the roster he is just listed as a 1B, the LHP part has been dropped. So it would seem unlikely that Huber will be used as a pitcher in the upcoming season. Thinking that for UConn baseball Huber's bat and fielding value are so valuable to the team that it cancels out any contributions he could possibly make as a relief pitcher. It may also be an indication on the amount of depth the coaching staff feels that this season's UConn pitching staff has, to the degree that they don't have to consider at this point using Huber on the mound.
UConn probably wants to avoid the possibility of an injury like Reggie Crawford suffered as well.

Reaction Score
UConn probably wants to avoid the possibility of an injury like Reggie Crawford suffered as well.

Well, unlike Crawford, Huber wasn't exactly creating a lot of big buzz with his pitching ability. I'm sure UConn is still interested in finding possible 2 way players.

Reaction Score
Hector Alejandro will miss the 2023 season due to an injury, according to the UConn baseball website.

Unfortunate. Do we know when the 35 man roster has to be finalized for the year? Hopefully it wasn’t before we lost Hector for the season.

Reaction Score
Unfortunate. Do we know when the 35 man roster has to be finalized for the year? Hopefully it wasn’t before we lost Hector for the season.

I think in college baseball the roster limit this season is 40, the same as it was last season. This is at least partly due to players being granted at least one extra season due to the pandemic. Including Hector Alejandro, UConn baseball currently has 42 players on its roster.

Reaction Score
I think in college baseball the roster limit this season is 40, the same as it was last season. This is at least partly due to players being granted at least one extra season due to the pandemic. Including Hector Alejandro, UConn baseball currently has 42 players on its roster.
they only travel with 27 which is the first 17 of 18 games they play. Be interesting to see who makes it on the plane. Most of the freshman pitchers are going to get squeezed out this year IMO. Wondering how many stick it out for next year?

Reaction Score
they only travel with 27 which is the first 17 of 18 games they play. Be interesting to see who makes it on the plane. Most of the freshman pitchers are going to get squeezed out this year IMO. Wondering how many stick it out for next year?

Well aware that UConn baseball usually travels with about 27 players on road trips during the season, Chris Jones has often talked about this during game broadcasts in past years. However, the 27 players are not the same on every trip, they can be replaced from time to time with other players that are on the playing roster, whether it is due to injury or player performance in either games or in practice back in Storrs. Prior to the pandemic, the Division 1 college baseball NCAA mandated limit on rosters was 35 players, and last year it was 40 players due to players being granted extra eligibility due to the pandemic. I could be wrong, but I believe the roster limit for this season is once again 40.

I believe players who get scholarship money have to be on the 40 man roster, whether or not they are injured and out for the season. If Hector Alejandro ends up on the 40 man roster, it would be an indication that he is getting scholarship money.

UConn typically has a couple players that they redshirt who are considered part of the team, but they are not on the official roster during the playing season. Unless Alejandro is getting scholarship money, I would expect that he would be one of the players on this mini "taxi squad", as I have referred to it in the past.

Reaction Score
Need my pre-season coach’s interview/preview! Best part of the off season.

Reaction Score

This analysis pretty much confirms what we have already heard about the UConn pitching staff for the coming season. It would appear that Ian Cooke, Andrew Sears, and Stephen Quigley are the leaders to be in the weekend starting rotation. Also says that Jack Sullivan and Brady Afthim (both sophomores) are both possibilities as being ready to step into the mix as starters as well.

As for the bullpen, expect it to be anchored by returning pitchers Justin Willis, Devin Kirby, and Garrett Coe. Transfers Will Nowak and Michael Quigley get nice mentions as well. I would note that Michael Quigley did have problems with his control when he was at UMass Lowell, but we'll see what happens this season.

The article also gives mentions to freshmen Thomas Ellisen and Jude Abbadessa as being expected to get some time out of the bullpen.

No mention of Braden Quinn, but I would expect to see him to get some time on the mound as well, judging from what has come out earlier this preseason.

Reaction Score
Need my pre-season coach’s interview/preview! Best part of the off season.

Last year those Chris Jones interviews with the coaches appeared just a few days before the season started. While I would like to see them sooner, I would expect that they will get posted sometime next week prior to the start of the season. I definitely look forward to those interviews as well, they are usually fun and full of good info.

Reaction Score
So the biggest omission from the discussion would be Braden Quinn. Wonder whether that means anything or is just the way the discussion happened or the article got typed up.

Reaction Score
So the biggest omission from the discussion would be Braden Quinn. Wonder whether that means anything or is just the way the discussion happened or the article got typed up.

I expect that Quinn will certainly get some chances on the mound early in the season, judging from some of the stuff that has been posted since fall ball and in this preseason. A recent D1Basball.com article had Quinn as one of the pitchers being stretched out for use as a possible starter.

Other preview articles and interviews will follow in the next several days, we'll see what they have to say.

One things I always look forward to as the season progresses is to see what pitchers emerge to get time on the mound and what rolls they fill. That would include pitchers who don't necessarily get mentions in some of these preseason articles, there always seems to be a few surprises when the season gets going.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I just found out the UConn baseball roster limit for this spring season is 37 players. So in addition to Hector Alejandro, four other players will have to be removed from the official playing roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom