Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
This analysis pretty much confirms what we have already heard about the UConn pitching staff for the coming season. It would appear that Ian Cooke, Andrew Sears, and Stephen Quigley are the leaders to be in the weekend starting rotation. Also says that Jack Sullivan and Brady Afthim (both sophomores) are both possibilities as being ready to step into the mix as starters as well.

As for the bullpen, expect it to be anchored by returning pitchers Justin Willis, Devin Kirby, and Garrett Coe. Transfers Will Nowak and Michael Quigley get nice mentions as well. I would note that Michael Quigley did have problems with his control when he was at UMass Lowell, but we'll see what happens this season.

The article also gives mentions to freshmen Thomas Ellisen and Jude Abbadessa as being expected to get some time out of the bullpen.

No mention of Braden Quinn, but I would expect to see him to get some time on the mound as well, judging from what has come out earlier this preseason.
As your message suggests I think the starting pitching and middle relief will take some tinkering. Back end is in great shape. They will be playing in some high-scoring games is my hunch. They're going to score a lot of runs. Starting pitching will determine the season. To have AP and PG last year was really a luxury.

Reaction Score

An interesting read, that's for sure, definitely worth checking out.

One of the more interesting aspects of this article is that while Matt Garbowski looks like the starting catcher, it also mentions that Ryan Hyde could challenge Matt Garbowski for the starting catcher spot. I've said this before, Hyde did very well playing for Norwich in the Futures League last summer.

From the gist of this article, UConn baseball is potentially deep and talented in the the infield. Three returning infield starters from last season, Ben Huber, David Smith, and Bryan Padilla, and they all had good to terrific spring seasons last year.

Transfer Dominic Freeberger is mentioned as a possible upgrade at 3B, but there is the potential for him to play other positions as well such as the outfield, or even potentially get some time on the mound.

Transfer Luke Broadhurst is mentioned as expected to be in the mix at DH, as well as potentially seeing time in the infield. Other players getting mentions for potential playing time are Chris Brown (assuming he can return to his 2021 form), transfer Paul Tammaro, and freshman Ryan Daniels, who made a strong impression during the fall ball season. The article suggests that Daniels could potentially end up as a starter in the infield, with Freeberger possibly moving to the outfield, or even potentially replacing Padilla at shortstop.

No mention in this article on either Maddix Dalena or Levi McAllister.

Reaction Score
One thing that struck me while writing this was just how much UConn seems to have leaned into being a DIII all star destination this year. Broadhurst and Tammaro both put up insane statistics last year at that level, similar to Donlan at Avery Point and Huber at Limestone in DII. It's not exactly apples to apples in terms of levels of play, but I think both guys have the potential to bring some serious offense this year.

Reaction Score
One thing that struck me while writing this was just how much UConn seems to have leaned into being a DIII all star destination this year. Broadhurst and Tammaro both put up insane statistics last year at that level, similar to Donlan at Avery Point and Huber at Limestone in DII. It's not exactly apples to apples in terms of levels of play, but I think both guys have the potential to bring some serious offense this year.

Matt Donlan did not play at Avery Point, he was at Stonehill College for a couple of years before coming to UConn.

Reaction Score

I'm inclined to think from what I have seen in articles and during fall ball exhibition games and scrimmages that I went to that Broadhurst is probably a likely candidate to start the season seeing time at the D.H. spot. Right now I expect Huber, Smith, Padilla, and Freeberger will be the starting infield at the start of the spring season. I would think it is very possible that Daniels and Tammaro will get some playing time off the bench, and could potentially get some starts (as well as Broadhurst) if any of the starting infielders don't play up to expectations or get injured. It appears at this point in time that the UConn infield has a lot of depth this season.

Reaction Score
As your message suggests I think the starting pitching and middle relief will take some tinkering. Back end is in great shape. They will be playing in some high-scoring games is my hunch. They're going to score a lot of runs. Starting pitching will determine the season. To have AP and PG last year was really a luxury.

Prior to the start of last season, to me, the depth of the UConn pitching staff was a big question mark on the team, especially in terms of who was going be the main cogs in the bullpen aside from Justin Willis. The one advantage was that UConn had both Peterson and Gallagher returning to the team as weekend starting pitchers. Still, I think it would be safe to say that they both probably turned out to be better than any of us fans were expecting. While there was some doubt about the pitching depth prior to the start of the season, overall, things turned out quite well in that department.

Coming into this season, it appears that UConn's pitching depth looks pretty good. As mentioned before, we are all waiting to see how the starting pitching shapes up. On that front we have gotten some encouraging news during fall ball and the preseason. Ian Cooke came in at No. 75 of top college pitchers on a list that was just put out by D1Baseball.com. The UConn coaching staff also seemed quite pleased with how transfer Andrew Sears performed during fall ball season. Sears made a good impression on others, as he is currently pegged to play in the Cape Cod League this coming summer, I would definitely consider that to be a good sign. D1Baseball.com has also said that Stephen Quigley had a strong fall as well. Still, we do have to see how these guys work out when the regular season starts next weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Prior to the start of last season, to me, the depth of the UConn pitching staff was a big question mark on the team, especially in terms of who was going be the main cogs in the bullpen aside from Justin Willis. The one advantage was that UConn had both Peterson and Gallagher returning to the team as weekend starting pitchers. Still, I think it would be safe to say that they both probably turned out to be better than any of us fans were expecting. While there was some doubt about the pitching depth prior to the start of the season, overall, things turned out quite well in that department.

Coming into this season, it appears that UConn's pitching depth looks pretty good. As mentioned before, we are all waiting to see how the starting pitching shapes up. On that front we have gotten some encouraging news during fall ball and the preseason. Ian Cooke came in at No. 75 of top college pitchers on a list that was just put out by D1Baseball.com. The UConn coaching staff also seemed quite pleased with how transfer Andrew Sears performed during fall ball season. Sears made a good impression on others, as he is currently pegged to play in the Cape Cod League this coming summer, I would definitely consider that to be a good sign. D1Baseball.com has also said that Stephen Quigley had a strong fall as well. Still, we do have to see how these guys work out when the regular season starts next weekend.
The key word in your post is "depth". That will allow them to adapt and work through any starting pitching issues. I will be out in Berkeley later this month for the series against Cal so that will be good to get a first-hand look. Also, has anyone heard any rumors as to the starting lineup for OSU next week? Specifically DH, 3B, RF/LF. Thanks

Reaction Score
The key word in your post is "depth". That will allow them to adapt and work through any starting pitching issues. I will be out in Berkeley later this month for the series against Cal so that will be good to get a first-hand look. Also, has anyone heard any rumors as to the starting lineup for OSU next week? Specifically DH, 3B, RF/LF. Thanks
No insider info here but my best guess would be
DH Broadhurst
3B Freeberger
LF Morton
RF Brini or Studley

Reaction Score
That would be my guess as well. Brini/Studley in either LF or RF, with Morton and Simmons in the other two outfield spots.
They have a strong infield with Padilla and Smith turning the 2.
Huber holding down 1st.
I like Morton’s speed and strong arm in center.
TC in left or right.

Reaction Score
They have a strong infield with Padilla and Smith turning the 2.
Huber holding down 1st.
I like Morton’s speed and strong arm in center.
TC in left or right.

Not sure if Simmons has enough arm for right field. Don't recall him playing RF at UConn.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen, Simmons gets the best reads and would be our best option for CF. Certainly nothing against Morton who is a solid OF with exceptional speed and a strong arm to boot.

More broadly, If Brini is as strong a defender as I anticipate, our defensive outfield could be well above average.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen, Simmons gets the best reads and would be our best option for CF. Certainly nothing against Morton who is a solid OF with exceptional speed and a strong arm to boot.

More broadly, If Brini is as strong a defender as I anticipate, our defensive outfield could be well above average.

Have to admit, I've always had a good feeling with TC Simmons playing CF. This is certainly not a negative against Korey Morton who is certainly a capable defender with great speed.

Reaction Score
An interesting read, that's for sure, definitely worth checking out.

One of the more interesting aspects of this article is that while Matt Garbowski looks like the starting catcher, it also mentions that Ryan Hyde could challenge Matt Garbowski for the starting catcher spot. I've said this before, Hyde did very well playing for Norwich in the Futures League last summer.

From the gist of this article, UConn baseball is potentially deep and talented in the the infield. Three returning infield starters from last season, Ben Huber, David Smith, and Bryan Padilla, and they all had good to terrific spring seasons last year.

Transfer Dominic Freeberger is mentioned as a possible upgrade at 3B, but there is the potential for him to play other positions as well such as the outfield, or even potentially get some time on the mound.

Transfer Luke Broadhurst is mentioned as expected to be in the mix at DH, as well as potentially seeing time in the infield. Other players getting mentions for potential playing time are Chris Brown (assuming he can return to his 2021 form), transfer Paul Tammaro, and freshman Ryan Daniels, who made a strong impression during the fall ball season. The article suggests that Daniels could potentially end up as a starter in the infield, with Freeberger possibly moving to the outfield, or even potentially replacing Padilla at shortstop.

No mention in this article on either Maddix Dalena or Levi McAllister.
Nice read. Their offense will be potent. Might not see the elite power numbers but they will be relentless and work opposing pitching to death. Saw that during the fall season. If they get any type of starting pitching they are a serious problem to deal with on a national level.

Reaction Score
Regarding starting lineups there is now pressure to immediately perform or you may be benched given the depth they have. A year ago who would have thought Brown and Fedko would lose their starting jobs by the time they returned from Florida?

Reaction Score
Nice read. Their offense will be potent. Might not see the elite power numbers but they will be relentless and work opposing pitching to death. Saw that during the fall season. If they get any type of starting pitching they are a serious problem to deal with on a national level.

One thing that was apparent for a lot of the later season last year is that their offense had no resting spot for opposing pitchers. Feel like that could definitely again be the case this year.

Reaction Score
Have to admit, I've always had a good feeling with TC Simmons playing CF. This is certainly not a negative against Korey Morton who is certainly a capable defender with great speed.
From what I'm hearing it will be Studley in left TC in center Morton in right

Reaction Score
From what I'm hearing it will be Studley in left TC in center Morton in right

That would not surprise me in the least. Morton saw a chunk of time in RF during fall ball games and scrimmages that I saw. Since Brini is a lefty batter, and Studley a righty hitter, there is also a potential for a platoon with those two guys as well.

Reaction Score
Curren Larson who did not play last year at all. The rest appear to be freshman which makes sense. Brown has been in and out of transfer portal so that would not be a surprise if his named did not appear on roster later this week.

Alejandro was obviously not on roster either but that goes without saying since he is out for year with injury.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom