Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
My guess is now Simmons (when ready) will return to CF, Morton slides to LF and Smitty goes back to 2B. I don't think Daniels or Tammaro have done enough to unseat anyone (it would be most likely Morton if it occurs) although both filled in admirably during Simmons' absence. In any event, post-Simmons return they'll have better depth coming off the bench in pinch-hit roles and these guys have gotten their feet wet defensively (both have not committed an error this year so great job). Simmons' injury happened on March 3rd so should be getting close to returning over the next 1-2 weeks. Also, can always DH Daniels against tough righties and give Luke the day off. Morton and Smitty start hitting consistently and the offense starts to get scary good. Will be at the CCSU game tomorrow which will be a good weekday test. CCSU I believe got spanked big by LSU but that's the elite of the elite. CCSU is always a respectable program.
Yup, the boys from NB got knocked around by LSU early in the season. However, Central has a couple Ws against Butler, have won 15 of their last 18 including wins over Fairfield and Quinnipiac, 3 wins over Norfolk St. and 3 wins over Delaware St.
I would imagine that this could POTENTIALLY be a close game.
No matter what, it's a PERFECT day for baseball!

Reaction Score
Have to admit that last season certainly turned me into a fan of Simmons, I really like the contributions he has made to the team both on offense and defense in the past. I would agree that Simmons would likely return to CF when he is ready to play again. Problem is, no one (including Chris Jones) seems to know when Simmons might be ready to play again. He has also missed quite a bit of time, so who knows what his offense will be like when he does return. If it is similar to last season or how he was playing before he got hurt, he will certainly get playing time. However, if his bat slumps, who knows what will happen.
Yes, defensively he takes the outfield to another level. Very good CF defensively. Last year offensively, he got off to a good start, struggled a bit then turned it back on toward the end of the season/tournament. Always wanted to see him add a bit more bulk but for some guys, that is hard to do. The added muscle on the frame would lift him offensively and don't think it would detract from his CF play.

Reaction Score
Yup, the boys from NB got knocked around by LSU early in the season. However, Central has a couple Ws against Butler, have won 15 of their last 18 including wins over Fairfield and Quinnipiac, 3 wins over Norfolk St. and 3 wins over Delaware St.
I would imagine that this could POTENTIALLY be a close game.
No matter what, it's a PERFECT day for baseball!
Mid-week games can be crazy and it depends on how the pitching is set up, but a high probability of this being a very competitive game. That's my expectation going in.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
After the mid week pitching meltdown against Columbia, I think there are some motivated arms today pitching for future high leverage situations.

Reaction Score
UConn drops a spot to #20:

UConn drops 2 spots to #25 in Baseball America Poll

-> Previous ranking: No. 23
Last week: 2-2
Overall: 22-8, 2-1 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend record: 6-0-2
Results
April 4: @ Columbia: L 19-14
April 6-8: @ St. John’s: W 7-5, W 8-3, L 9-7
Upcoming
April 10: vs. Central Connecticut State (Hartford)
April 11: Bryant
April 14-16: @ Xavier

UConn’s week got off to a rough start with a 19-14 loss at Columbia, a game in which the Huskies blew a 12-run lead. They would bounce back nicely with a conference series win at St. John’s, although they couldn’t quite pull off the sweep as they dropped the finale. It’s a busy week as after a pair of midweeks, UConn hits the road for a series at Xavier, in a matchup of the two best teams in the Big East.<-
UConn down two spots to #20 in the USA Today Coaches Poll:

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Tom Ellisen and Garrett Coe will be the midweek starters in what very well might be pretty much staff games against Northeastern and BC. Not sure who else the coaching staff would want to start these games. At least the bullpen pitchers will have 2 days off before these 2 midweek games come around. As usual we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
UConn up to #15 in D1Baseball/NCAA Top 25 Poll:

UConn up to #23 in Baseball America Poll:

Reaction Score
Capture.PNG

Wanted to see how this year's team compared to last year and the results were surprising. Offensively almost a carbon copy of 2022. The obvious disparity is on the pitching side where we see more runs being scored by opponents as well as a higher batting average against our pitchers. I guess I was surprised at how close offensively stats where I was still expecting 2022 to have a slight edge but that was not the case at all.

Reaction Score
UConn up to #15 in D1Baseball/NCAA Top 25 Poll:

UConn up to #23 in Baseball America Poll:
UConn @ #15 in USA Today Coaches Poll:
Northeastern (RV) & BC @ #17

Reaction Score
View attachment 87515
Wanted to see how this year's team compared to last year and the results were surprising. Offensively almost a carbon copy of 2022. The obvious disparity is on the pitching side where we see more runs being scored by opponents as well as a higher batting average against our pitchers. I guess I was surprised at how close offensively stats where I was still expecting 2022 to have a slight edge but that was not the case at all.
Scotty I assume 2022 is for full season and not comparable to same number of games in 2023?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is freaking insane that for much of the last 7-8 years UConn baseball has been ranked nationally or just outside the rankings. Just had to pinch myself because having a northeastern program that’s earned such respect on the national level frankly should be impossible.

Reaction Score
It is freaking insane that for much of the last 7-8 years UConn baseball has been ranked nationally or just outside the rankings. Just had to pinch myself because having a northeastern program that’s earned such respect on the national level frankly should be impossible.

This is one of my favorite subjects and stats regarding UConn baseball. Starting in the 2010 season, UConn baseball has made the NCAA Tournament 8 out of 12 seasons, including the last 4 NCAA Tournaments in a row. That is a terrific record for any school no matter where in the country they are located. My main goal for the team at the beginning of any season is to make the NCAA Tournament and continue to build on this record of success. Certainly looks at this point in the season that UConn baseball has a pretty good chance of making the NCAA Tournament again, if they do it will be for the fifth year in a row. That is a record a lot of schools would love to have. My thinking is that if you continue making the NCAA Tournament, good things will happen and the success will extend and expand itself, such as making the Super Regionals last season. Future goals in continuing to make the NCAA Tournament year in and year out would include possibly hosting another Regional and/or making it to Omaha. But it all begins by continuing to make the NCAA Tournament, and like I said, that appears to be looking good so far this season.

Reaction Score
Scotty I assume 2022 is for full season and not comparable to same number of games in 2023?
I used percentages not any absolute numbers for that very reason. So correct one is a partial season vs a full- so to give the 2022 the benefit of the doubt there stats includes games against NCAA teams (tournament) as well as big east tournament where you are playing more games against higher caliber teams

Reaction Score
This is one of my favorite subjects and stats regarding UConn baseball. Starting in the 2010 season, UConn baseball has made the NCAA Tournament 8 out of 12 seasons, including the last 4 NCAA Tournaments in a row. That is a terrific record for any school no matter where in the country they are located. My main goal for the team at the beginning of any season is to make the NCAA Tournament and continue to build on this record of success. Certainly looks at this point in the season that UConn baseball has a pretty good chance of making the NCAA Tournament again, if they do it will be for the fifth year in a row. That is a record a lot of schools would love to have. My thinking is that if you continue making the NCAA Tournament, good things will happen and the success will extend and expand itself, such as making the Super Regionals last season. Future goals in continuing to make the NCAA Tournament year in and year out would include possibly hosting another Regional and/or making it to Omaha. But it all begins by continuing to make the NCAA Tournament, and like I said, that appears to be looking good so far this season.

But this is UConn. You can't make 8 out of 12 tourneys and not be expecting to do well in them, and not just get there. This is not Central or Yale.

Having said that, yes, hitting is up everywhere, but the improvement in our offense is much more than made up for by the decline in our pitching, as the stats above show. Good for the team that they keep winning anyway -- the point is to win games, not be good in performance metrics -- but you can't think this team has the chances of getting through the first weekend regional that they had last year. Doesn't mean you don't want to get there, and doesn't mean once there you can't string 3 or 4 wins together, but you would think it is easier to get to the Super Regional with more reliable pitching.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Xavier would beat a lot of those teams, including #11 Wofford who they swept on the road.

Reaction Score
Congrats Jude and to the other recipients!

SASP ANNOUNCES MARCH HUSKY HIGH FIVES
STORRS, Conn. - The Student Athlete Success Program (SASP) announced the Husky High Five winners for the month of March. The Husky High Five award recognizes UConn student-athletes that demonstrate outstanding academic achievement, growth, and improvement in their commitment to succeeding in the classroom, their sport, and/or in the area of service and leadership. This award recognizes and honors students who have achieved success in these areas through hard work and dedication. When nominating for the Husky High Five, recipients are selected on the criteria of demonstrating significant achievement in their coursework despite various challenges and showing growth in the areas of academics, personal development, leadership, and service.
Student-Athletes:
Aziah James – Softball
Ana Laura Faoro – Women's Swimming & Diving
Jude Abbadessa – Baseball
Jack Foster – Men's Track & Field

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members