Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
Dominic Freeberger and Ben Huber are pretty much carrying the UConn offense at this point in the season. The other regulars in the UConn lineup are making some contributions, but if they heat up to how they did last season, it would provide a mighty pick me up to the UConn offense. While Korey Morton is not yet hitting like he did last season, he does seem to have cut back on his strikeout totals from previous seasons, and he has picked up some in the walk department, that's good to see. Let's hope that this continues, and that his bat heats back up.

Reaction Score
Dom Freeberger has looked quite good in his two appearances on the mound in relief this season. Thinking that he could end up seeing a little more time in the mound, especially since he has shown good control of his stuff so far.

I'm sure going into each game the coaching staff has an idea of which pitchers are likely to come out of the bullpen and appear in the game. I'm thinking that on some of those days where there might be a good chance that Freeberger might pitch, that it would be a good idea to use him at D.H. instead of playing 3B on those days, making it a bit easier for him to warm up in the bullpen. On those days, players like Broadhurst, Daniels, or Tamarro could fill in at 3B. Of course, Coach Penders has indicated in postgame interviews that they do like Freeberger's defensive play at 3B.

Reaction Score
Ben Huber is on a big doubles kick early in the season, he has 11 doubles in 17 games so far. Last season Huber had 20 doubles, so if he keeps up this pace he would easily pass that mark. Just for the heck of it, I checked to see what the UConn record for doubles in a year was. The current record is 27, set by Ryan Fuller in 2011. We'll see if Huber keeps up his current double rampage, if he does, he could really smash the record.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Ben Huber is on a big doubles kick early in the season, he has 11 doubles in 17 games so far. Last season Huber had 20 doubles, so if he keeps up this pace he would easily pass that mark. Just for the heck of it, I checked to see what the UConn record for doubles in a year was. The current record is 27, set by Ryan Fuller in 2011. We'll see if Huber keeps up his current double rampage, if he does, he could really smash the record.
If he elevates the ball, those doubles will be 4 baggers!

Reaction Score
Just wondering and speculating on who might be the midweek starter for UConn against UMass in the home opener tomorrow. I was thinking at first that it might be Tom Ellisen, who got a start when Stephen Quigley could not make a weekend start against Hawaii. Ellisen did appear in relief this past weekend against San Diego State, but that is nothing unusual for midweek starters. Ellisen did throw 50 or so pitches. Coach Penders has had midweek starters in the past make relief appearances on the weekends. Garrett Coe did not pitch this past weekend, so I would think he is a possibility as well to get the start. Braden Quinn has had a rough start to the season showing a big lack of control, so it is also possible UConn could start him to try to get him on track considering it is apparent the coaching staff likes his talent. These guys are all said to have been stretched out during the preseason for possible use as a starting pitcher. Of course, it could end up being a staff day as well, but we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Just wondering and speculating on who might be the midweek starter for UConn against UMass in the home opener tomorrow. I was thinking at first that it might be Tom Ellisen, who got a start when Stephen Quigley could not make a weekend start against Hawaii. Ellisen did appear in relief this past weekend against San Diego State, but that is nothing unusual for midweek starters. Ellisen did throw 50 or so pitches. Coach Penders has had midweek starters in the past make relief appearances on the weekends. Garrett Coe did not pitch this past weekend, so I would think he is a possibility as well to get the start. Braden Quinn has had a rough start to the season showing a big lack of control, so it is also possible UConn could start him to try to get him on track considering it is apparent the coaching staff likes his talent. These guys are all said to have been stretched out during the preseason for possible use as a starting pitcher. Of course, it could end up being a staff day as well, but we'll see what happens.
I'm guessing Tommy and Braden will get multiple innings Wednesday and Willis will also get one to get back on track. If it gets out of hand, which it should, they may trot out Michael Quigley to see if he can get it going.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Tommy and Braden will get multiple innings Wednesday and Willis will also get one to get back on track. If it gets out of hand, which it should, they may trot out Michael Quigley to see if he can get it going.
Quinn is interesting as the stuff is there but he has the Yips. He could become a major asset in the pen if he can harness his stuff and throw strikes.

Reaction Score
Quinn is interesting as the stuff is there but he has the Yips. He could become a major asset in the pen if he can harness his stuff and throw strikes.

Agree with this. Quinn did have some good moments last season and did show some possible promise. Like you say, just needs to harness his stuff.

The same can be said for Michael Quigley. From interviews with the coaches and articles on the team, it sounds like the coaches love his stuff. However, as I have mentioned before, M. Quigley had big control problems when he played at UMass Lowell before transferring to Storrs. It's something he needs to conquer in order to get more mound time during games.

Reaction Score
It’s possible that they could have openers - 2 inning guys and do this by committee. These first couple go arounds with mid week games might be a continued feeling out process for the guys we have only seen glimpses of this year

Reaction Score
Don’t think that anybody who is not throwing strikes is getting innings. That’s what the summer and fall are for. They shouldn’t this week. A bunch of guys who can go 1 or 2 to get throwing in will go. Afthim, Coe, Fogel, Abadessa, maybe Kirby and Willis. Nowak? Even the proven pen guys need the work - they have not been consistently sharp. Give Freeberger an inning too. Don’t need to go a dozen deep. Only need 3 starters, maybe one more for a weekday with 2 games. They are definitely not throwing a struggler next week against BC.

Reaction Score
Don’t think that anybody who is not throwing strikes is getting innings. That’s what the summer and fall are for. They shouldn’t this week. A bunch of guys who can go 1 or 2 to get throwing in will go. Afthim, Coe, Fogel, Abadessa, maybe Kirby and Willis. Nowak? Even the proven pen guys need the work - they have not been consistently sharp. Give Freeberger an inning too. Don’t need to go a dozen deep. Only need 3 starters, maybe one more for a weekday with 2 games. They are definitely not throwing a struggler next week against BC.

Midweek games against not so strong opponents are generally a time when bench players and lesser used pitchers (that includes pitchers who are struggling) tend to get some playing time. The coaches have talked about this in past interviews, and that is how it has happened in past seasons. Will say also that these players are less likely to get playing time in tighter games, even if they happen in the midweek. Obviously, BC would not be considered a lesser opponent this season, I would expect the odd man out from the 3 man weekend starting rotation to get the starting pitcher assignment against BC when that game comes up.

What I describe in the above paragraph is done to try to help develop players for future use, either in this season or for future seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Midweek games against not so strong opponents are generally a time when bench players and lesser used pitchers (that includes pitchers who are struggling) tend to get some playing time. The coaches have talked about this in past interviews, and that is how it has happened in past seasons. Will say also that these players are less likely to get playing time in tighter games, even if they happen in the midweek. Obviously, BC would not be considered a lesser opponent this season, I would expect the odd man out from the 3 man weekend starting rotation to get the starting pitcher assignment against BC when that game comes up.

What I describe in the above paragraph is done to try to help develop players for future use, either in this season or for future seasons.
I hear what you’re saying DB, but my recent memory is that he rides position players super hard and has a very short trusted pitching staff. There is depth on offense this year, but even a guy like Dalena is not getting many ABs. I mean last year it seemed we were gunning to win ‘em all. That is the only way you host with our RPI. I don’t think McDonald is looking to develop anyone for S’s & G’s beyond April 1. I would predict we won’t see much of Quinn or the other Quigley again. Nothing against them, but their hook was lightning quick. S. Quigley gets the start against BC and they unload the pen from there. They might score 30 against Hartford.

Reaction Score
Exhibit A to my point would be them bringing Kirby in against SDSU Saturday with a huge lead. They like putting the W’s in the books and riding trusted guys. I could be wrong on how deep they’ll go up north, we’ll see.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Exhibit A to my point would be them bringing Kirby in against SDSU Saturday with a huge lead. They like putting the W’s in the books and riding trusted guys. I could be wrong on how deep they’ll go up north, we’ll see.

I think we might have some big leads this year vs UMass type teams…comparable to the fordham and uri fallball scrimmages.

Reaction Score
One other thing affects playing time, both for pitchers and position players aside from game performance. How they do in practice and scrimmages, stuff that the ordinary fan isn't likely to know about.

Reaction Score
Stephen Quigley did not pitch during the Rutgers series this weekend. I expect he will get the starting pitching assignment against Boston College on Tuesday. We will see if it happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom