Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

Reaction Score

Padilla's offense has been off and on all season, but has generally been improving as the season progresses. As Chris Jones has said during game broadcasts a number of times, Padilla tends to get his hits in bunches. However, his defense at shortstop has been very solid all season, and has kept him in the lineup. Otherwise, someone like Paul Tammaro may have seen some time at shortstop this season.

Reaction Score
Good Job today Padilla! Also great on getting on the Brooks Wallace Watch list!
His defense is solid going into weekend and great to see his bat alive !

Reaction Score
As we saw Simmons back in CF late against G'Town on Friday it's a nice time to reflect on how Daniels/Tammaro filled in at 2B when Smitty was moved to OF in early March.

Combined Stats of Daniels/Tammaro thru 4/21/23:
Avg .333 (39-117)
R 29
HR 3
RBI 24
SB-ATT 15-15!
Errors NONE!

Great job by both making the adjustment seamless. And of course, Smitty can play just about anywhere so his flexibility helps.
Depending on the extent of Huber's injury Dalena may be called upon to fill in. Always need to be prepared never know when your # will be called. A cornerstone of Penders' teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Huber is out for a while, is it possible Broadhurst can play 1st, opening up the DH spot for Simmons to come in without sitting the Daniels/Tammaro platoon?
I believe Broadhurst played 1B early days w/ Eastern. He's sort of a Freeberger lite in that he's played multiple positions although core position was 3B. So it is an option. Dom can play almost anywhere and offers a lot of options too. In direct response to your comment, I value Simmons' defense more than his offense. I lean towards saying his bat isn't big enough just to DH. The Dalena option (against RHP) would be the least disruptive (plug-and-play). Against LHP may need to get more creative where Dom's and Luke's flexibility comes into play.

Reaction Score
I believe Broadhurst played 1B early days w/ Eastern. He's sort of a Freeberger lite in that he's played multiple positions although core position was 3B. So it is an option. Dom can play almost anywhere and offers a lot of options too. In direct response to your comment, I value Simmons' defense more than his offense. I lean towards saying his bat isn't big enough just to DH. The Dalena option (against RHP) would be the least disruptive (plug-and-play). Against LHP may need to get more creative where Dom's and Luke's flexibility comes into play.
I was simplifying. Move Broadhurst to 1st, move Morton to DH, Smitty to LF and plug Simmons back in at CF. My point being, we know what Simmons can do. We don’t know yet what Dalena can do, although in his cameos this year he has certainly shown promise.

Hopefully this is wasted conversation and Huber is fine.

Reaction Score
I was simplifying. Move Broadhurst to 1st, move Morton to DH, Smitty to LF and plug Simmons back in at CF. My point being, we know what Simmons can do. We don’t know yet what Dalena can do, although in his cameos this year he has certainly shown promise.

Hopefully this is wasted conversation and Huber is fine.
I think all of those options would be on the table and yes Simmons is a known commodity. Re: Huber: Seems like a calf maybe but with the walking boot who knows? Huber is such a warrior almost need to protect him from himself. He'll play on one leg. A case in point is that collision in the Maryland regional game. He's tough as nails. He'll have to be 100% to clear Penders' hurdle to play today. Don't want this lingering down the stretch when he's needed most.

Reaction Score
I think all of those options would be on the table and yes Simmons is a known commodity. Re: Huber: Seems like a calf maybe but with the walking boot who knows? Huber is such a warrior almost need to protect him from himself. He'll play on one leg. A case in point is that collision in the Maryland regional game. He's tough as nails. He'll have to be 100% to clear Penders' hurdle to play today. Don't want this lingering down the stretch when he's needed most.
Agreed. Huber will want to play if he can walk. But our schedule in the short term is such that the Penders will sit him if that’s needed for him to be fully healthy come the post season.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Huber will want to play if he can walk. But our schedule in the short term is such that the Penders will sit him if that’s needed for him to be fully healthy come the post season.
He will not play today and we will miss the bat. But we need a healthy Rhino for longterm.
F1EFE5BA-DBE4-4A66-9357-C0CEA6F506A4.jpeg

Reaction Score
If T.C. Simmons is to get playing time in the coming days, I doubt it would be as a D.H. While he is certainly a good offensive player when his bat is going well, his big value is his defensive ability. If he is going to get playing time, I would expect to see him in CF, as he is probably UConn's best defensive outfielder. Not sure what his bat will look like after being out of the lineup for so long. Because of this it would not surprise me if he doesn't get a start in either of the games today. However, it would not surprise me to see Simmons get some starts during upcoming midweek games first in order to see how he does in his return to playing time.

By the way, Luke Broadhurst did get some time playing at 1B during during fall ball for UConn, so it is possible that he may see some time there. Still, it certainly would not surprise me to see Maddix Dalena get some playing time at 1B if Ben Huber is unable to play, as Dalena is certainly a freshman with talent.

Reaction Score
So using the (again) Sunday off for thoughts about going forward, here is mine. With the struggles of our pitching staff this year, we can’t afford not to pitch Freeburger. He’s gone 4 innings without giving up a hit. Can we please use him more out of the pen? Or have him start games to go one or two innings? It’s not like we have so much pitching we can’t get them all enough work.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So using the (again) Sunday off for thoughts about going forward, here is mine. With the struggles of our pitching staff this year, we can’t afford not to pitch Freeburger. He’s gone 4 innings without giving up a hit. Can we please use him more out of the pen? Or have him start games to go one or two innings? It’s not like we have so much pitching we can’t get them all enough work.
The issue is 3rd starter at this point. Freeburger can help 7th inning on but Fogell and Willis have had only a few bumps.

Reaction Score
The issue is 3rd starter at this point. Freeburger can help 7th inning on but Fogell and Willis have had only a few bumps.
I agree with hardcorehusky's assessment. The juice ain't worth the squeeze to start Dom but he can be used in spot situations later in games. If you look at what they did with Reggie they really didn't use him much sort of like what they are doing with Dom now. Then in the fall ball 21, it appeared his role was going to expand but he got hurt.

Reaction Score
Anybody see post interview? Did I miss it?

It hasn't been posted, at least not yet. Having a doubleheader to deal with does take up a lot of time, so maybe it will get posted today, we'll see.

Reaction Score

Cooke certainly did not have a good game yesterday, but he was coming back from an injury, so hoping he will do better in future starts.

Wouldn't mind seeing Freeberger get some more time out of the bullpen, as he did pitch some out of the pen with his previous college team before arriving at UConn. However, I get the idea that the coaching staff loves both his bat and his defense at 3B, so it seems they don't want to disturb that part of the lineup. Still, having him pitch a bit more would give a little more time for other guys to get a little more playing time if he were to take the mound.

Reaction Score

There are 3 Big East baseball teams that currently have RPI's of over 200. They are Seton Hall (210), Villanova (262), and Butler (232). Xavier has already played Villanova and Butler and swept both teams. The rest of the teams in the Big East all have RPI's of under 150. Of the teams under 150, the only one UConn hasn't played yet is Creighton (they currently are at 89). It appears to me that the Villanova and Butler are the 2 worst teams in Big East baseball this season. While my focus is usually on winning each series as it comes up, getting sweeps against Villanova and Butler would be a big help to UConn in the standings and for post season tournament considerations.

Reaction Score

Agree. Two of three against opponents whose RPI is way below ours hurts our rankings. Right now (I know it changes with every game) we are behind BC. They play quality opponents in the ACC, we don’t in the BE. We can’t rely on them to lose to solidify our RPI above them for a potential regional host.

I’d hate to end the season with an RPI of, say 15, and be a two seed in a Northeast Regional at #13 BC. I may be wrong, but I doubt the tourney committee would give two regionals to New England, even with BC and UConn RPIs in the top 16.

Reaction Score
UConn #10 in D1Baseball/NCAA Too 25:

UConn @#24 In Baseball America Top 25:

24 Connecticut - Big East
Previous ranking:
No. 23
Last Week: 3-2
Overall: 29-11, 6-3 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend Record: 8-0-2
Results
April 18:
Northeastern: L 12-3
April 19: @ Boston College: W 12-1 (7)
April 21-22: Georgetown: W 12-5, W 6-3, L 6-2
Upcoming
April 25:
Yale
April 26: Brown
April 28-30: @ Villanova

After a run-rule midweek win at Boston College, UConn stayed undefeated in weekend series by taking two games from Georgetown. UConn has put together an impressive resume to this point and with a top-15 RPI, the Huskies are squarely in the hosting conversation. It is a busy five-game week for UConn as it takes on Yale and Brown in midweek games before traveling to Villanova for a weekend series.

Reaction Score
UConn #10 in D1Baseball/NCAA Too 25:

UConn @#24 In Baseball America Top 25:

24 Connecticut - Big East
Previous ranking:
No. 23
Last Week: 3-2
Overall: 29-11, 6-3 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend Record: 8-0-2
Results
April 18:
Northeastern: L 12-3
April 19: @ Boston College: W 12-1 (7)
April 21-22: Georgetown: W 12-5, W 6-3, L 6-2
Upcoming
April 25:
Yale
April 26: Brown
April 28-30: @ Villanova

After a run-rule midweek win at Boston College, UConn stayed undefeated in weekend series by taking two games from Georgetown. UConn has put together an impressive resume to this point and with a top-15 RPI, the Huskies are squarely in the hosting conversation. It is a busy five-game week for UConn as it takes on Yale and Brown in midweek games before traveling to Villanova for a weekend series.
Is it normal for the two polls to be so different? 14 spots is a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom