2020 Recruiting: - Transfer Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

No. This came in the mail this morning. I think we won’t worry about that

If we land Martin and Nolley we will potentially start the season with 10 players - 1 of which is coming off an ACL tear. Akok, Martin & Nolley all sitting out, unless Martin or Nolley receive a waiver. Not holding my breath. Vaughn was a big miss.

Reaction Score
If we land Martin and Nolley we will potentially start the season with 10 players - 1 of which is coming off an ACL tear. Akok, Martin & Nolley all sitting out, unless Martin or Nolley receive a waiver. Not holding my breath. Vaughn was a big miss.

I agree that I don’t want two players who have to sit out since Polley and Akok are both coming off major injuries. However, I still don’t think we can call Vaughn a miss. We don’t know whether or not the staff prioritized him, and we don’t know what the final roster will look like.

Reaction Score
Also, if the transfer rule doesn't pass, this is the framework that all other sleeves have to work within too.

If we have two talented players sitting on the bench then it sets us up for 21-22.

Maybe we need to accept that we still have one more year to complete the rebuild. Maybe we'll take our lumps next year in the Big East. But in 21-22 well have a full roster of payers recruited my Hurley specifically to compete in the Big East. Vs still relying on players room the previous regime that have been inconsistent at times.

In 20-21 we'll get Cole as the lead PG. And opportunities for Bouk, Jackson, Gaffney and Springs to grow.

Reaction Score
I always find it funny how initially last year when we were trying to go a whole roster deep, people were saying it was too many people rotating in & out. Now we want to have a 12 man deep rotation? If we get Martin & he has to sit, so be it. If Nolley wants to come too, he’s too good to pass up & could really make up for some of the scoring we’ll lose if Bouk goes pro after next year

Reaction Score
I always find it funny how initially last year when we were trying to go a whole roster deep, people were saying it was too many people rotating in & out. Now we want to have a 12 man deep rotation? If we get Martin & he has to sit, so be it. If Nolley wants to come too, he’s too good to pass up & could really make up for some of the scoring we’ll lose if Bouk goes pro after next year
Don't even have to go back to last year. Yesterday people were saying there weren't enough minutes for Martin to come here and now we can't take him if he has to sit

Reaction Score
Don't even have to go back to last year. Yesterday people were saying there weren't enough minutes for Martin to come here and now we can't take him if he has to sit
incase the transfer rule doesnt go into effect this year are you comfortable taking 2 sit out transfers that would each need to receive the grimes-waiver from the ncaa in order play? i'm still all in on nolley of course, but would rather get a grad transfer or reclass with the second scholly just to be safe

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if the transfer rule doesnt go into effect this year are you comfortable taking 2 sit out transfers that would each need to receive the grimes-waiver from the ncaa in order play? i'm still all in on nolley of course, but would rather get a grad transfer or reclass with the second scholly just to be safe
I'd prefer to have a guard who can play immediately, but I wouldn't take a lesser player if Martin and Nolley both want to come here even if both want to sit out

Reaction Score
incase the transfer rule doesnt go into effect this year are you comfortable taking 2 sit out transfers that would each need to receive the grimes-waiver from the ncaa in order play? i'm still all in on nolley of course, but would rather get a grad transfer or reclass with the second scholly just to be safe

We will definitely have the following players available next year barring future injury (*'s likely gone or seniors):
1. Cole, Gaffney
2. Bouknight*, Adams
3. Jackson
4. Whaley*, Springs
5. Carlton*, Javonte Brown Ferguson

The unknowns:
Polley*
Akok Akok

I think we need an immediately eligible wing, and then I wouldn't mind banking 1 transfer scholarship. Either another 2/3 to replace Bouk or a big, although it seems like best bets for bigs are reclass freshmen, which would be fine, too.

Reaction Score
I agree that I don’t want two players who have to sit out since Polley and Akok are both coming off major injuries. However, I still don’t think we can call Vaughn a miss. We don’t know whether or not the staff prioritized him, and we don’t know what the final roster will look like.
Fair. This staff knows a hell of a lot more than I do about the game of basketball and our roster construction. I just think we really need a wing who will be able to be impactful for us right away. To do that worry free right now our best bet would be the grad transfer route. Vaughn seemed to fit that mold.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Both can be true. Enough minutes means that the player gets the minutes they expect. For a grad transfer like Vaughn I'm sure that means 25 minutes and a starting job, otherwise, what's the point. What does Martin expect? Not sure. Nolley? I bet he expects a starting job and 25 minutes. Next season? Maybe. 2021-22? With Jackson, Akok and maybe Bouk I'm not sure we have it.

Meanwhile, as we saw last year, injuries happen and you cannot be short of bench players. Cole and Springs sitting definitely hurt us along with the empty scholarship. I don't mind being down one roster spot, but I don't want to be down two.

Reaction Score
Both can be true. Enough minutes means that the player gets the minutes they expect. For a grad transfer like Vaughn I'm sure that means 25 minutes and a starting job, otherwise, what's the point. What does Martin expect? Not sure. Nolley? I bet he expects a starting job and 25 minutes. Next season? Maybe. 2021-22? With Jackson, Akok and maybe Bouk I'm not sure we have it.

Meanwhile, as we saw last year, injuries happen and you cannot be short of bench players. Cole and Springs sitting definitely hurt us along with the empty scholarship. I don't mind being down one roster spot, but I don't want to be down two.
If the argument was that we didn't have *enough* minutes for Martin you'd have a point and I'd agree. The argument being made was that there were 0 minutes available at the 2-4 position for him.

For Martin and Nolley I'm 100% comfortable being down 2 players. It would be nice if one or both become immediately eligible but not a deal breaker for me to get 2 of the top transfers out there

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If the argument was that we didn't have *enough* minutes for Martin you'd have a point and I'd agree. The argument being made was that there were 0 minutes available at the 2-4 position for him.

For Martin and Nolley I'm 100% comfortable being down 2 players. It would be nice if one or both become immediately eligible but not a deal breaker for me to get 2 of the top transfers out there

With a healthy Akok an Polley I might agree. I don't think Martin is better than what we can get as a freshman next season, so I don't agree in his case. But with Akok mostly out and Polley iffy, I think one sit one transfer is the maximum we can afford.

Reaction Score
With a healthy Akok an Polley I might agree. I don't think Martin is better than what we can get as a freshman next season, so I don't agree in his case. But with Akok mostly out and Polley iffy, I think one sit one transfer is the maximum we can afford.
I'm expecting a fully healthy Polley going into the season so I'm not as worried as you. Also think Martin is exactly what the team is missing in a big guard who can rebound and defend. But I also appear to be much higher on Martin than you, I think he's as good as almost every guard we've been linked to (Sailis is the only one I'd have above him)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Martin and Nolley will not be eligible to play this season if the transfer rule goes into effect during the 2021-2022 season. Unless of course there’s a huge loophole.

Sonogo and a random grad transfer guard would likely be the best case scenario if that were to happen.

Reaction Score

But that wouldn't be down 2. That would be down 3, with uncertainty whether Polley next year would be anywhere near 100% mentally.

We went into this year with a 10 man roster and lost a game where a walk on took a potential game tying shot. You don't want to go into any year with less than 11. And even at 11, for goodness sakes, you have 30k students on campus. Find a walk on who can play 6 minutes a game if needed without killing you. Calhoun seemed to find those all the time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But that wouldn't be down 2. That would be down 3, with uncertainty whether Polley next year would be anywhere near 100% mentally.

We went into this year with a 10 man roster and lost a game where a walk on took a potential game tying shot. You don't want to go into any year with less than 11. And even at 11, for goodness sakes, you have 30k students on campus. Find a walk on who can play 6 minutes a game if needed without killing you. Calhoun seemed to find those all the time.

Even our best walk on got hurt. I think Hurley is on the same page you and I are. No way we roll with two guys sitting again.

Meanwhile I don't see Brandon Johnson on this list.

Reaction Score

Yeah I know we'd be down 3 and I didn't say that's my ideal scenario. The question was am I comfortable with taking that risk and the answer is yes I am to bring in that level of talent. I'm not going to be mad if we get 1 and a very good grad transfer

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Brandon Johnson is Grad Transfer. 15 PPG 8 RPG, 33% from 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom