2020 Recruiting: - Transfer Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
so if we end up getting dimecio and nolley that would be awesome. but on the flipside hurley might have to replace 6 guys in 2021: polley, whaley, carlton, and dimencio are all graduating, with bouk and maybe nolley going pro. that's a kentucky sized recruiting class.

point being, if he knows the transfer rule is going to pass hurley might prefer tyrese martin over dimencio, so he only has to replace 5 guys instead....

however, the rule passing isnt a given anymore so can hurley risk taking nolley and martin if they both might have to redshirt? there's just no way we can start the year with 10 guys given akok's injury.

long story short i think it has to be dimencio over martin. neither scenario is ideal but having to replace up to 6 guys in 2021 is better than playing with 10 guys in 2020. the ncaa screwed us once again by delaying this transfer vote...

This is not a close decision. Team performance and Hurley's rep are going to continue to rise and he'll get better players every year. The transfer rule is going to be around for a long time and it will be musical chairs every summer. It's great to be able to restock so a scholarship opening up in a year is a great thing. You take Dimencio over Tyrese Martin all day long.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I want a big guard who can defend. Care more about getting a defender than a scorer. Not really worried about our offense. The guy at Rider seems closest to this. Our current top 3 guards are all below average defenders. Adams is above average but not great.

I want a big who can rebound, defend big bodies and score in the paint. If he can shoot too, great, but that’s less critical. Preferably somebody with some skill who can pass effectively. Sanogo seems ideal really.

Reaction Score
6’4” 208 lbs

16-17: 10.0 pts, 2.1 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 0.7 steal on 42/37/57 shooting, 4.2 3-pt attempts per game

17-18: redshirt

18-19: 14.5 pts, 4.7 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.9 steal on 42/29/70 shooting, 4.9 3-pt attempts per game

19-20: 14.4 pts, 4.7 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.0 steal on 42/30/64 shooting, 4.5 3-pt attempts per game

Also, his dad played for St. John’s in the 90s.

Having seen his dad play, I think his dad might be the better option.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I want a big guard who can defend. Care more about getting a defender than a scorer. Not really worried about our offense. The guy at Rider seems closest to this. Our current top 3 guards are all below average defenders. Adams is above average but not great.

I want a big who can rebound, defend big bodies and score in the paint. If he can shoot too, great, but that’s less critical. Preferably somebody with some skill who can pass effectively. Sanogo seems ideal really.

I want a 4 who can shoot a little bit. Need some spacing out there.

Nolley or Horne seem to work for the offense. Both can be used like polley was used.

You have 20 fouls at the 5 for the ignbanu types already on the roster.

Reaction Score
He's Charles Minlend's son? Charles Minlend was a very, very solid player for the Johnnies.

Not sure, but it's not a common name and I think someone else said his dad played at St. John's.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is Charles Minlend’s son. I forgot he existed until I was looking up information about his son, but I do remember him being a solid player.

Reaction Score
NCAA will make this happen and the document will read something like this:

“....one time transfer waiver will so into effect as long as all [*] are reviewed to be worthy by the committee..”

* If you’re going to UConn there is no guarantee.

Reaction Score
musical chairs at mid majors, i agree. but i'd be surprised if we lost a player every year because of it. Sid's an exception b/c he wasnt recruited by hurley in the first place and Al should count as a graduate.

Those guys are both transferring for the same reason: they weren't wanted anymore. Gilbert lost his starting gig to a freshman, and Sid couldn't get on the floor, even when we were desperate. Hurley wasn't relying on either guy to come back this year, and he's probably glad he can replace them with someone who can help his team.

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority here. But, with 2 spots open, I would prefer to fill only 1. I'd rather keep options open.

Vaughn is a grad transfer and would only be around next season anyway. Certainly grab Nolley if you can get him. Why not take Vaughn too? His scholarship becomes available the next year anyway.

Reaction Score
Updated.

Seems like Martin and Nolley are the guys we're zeroing in on now.

Reaction Score
Updated.

Seems like Martin and Nolley are the guys we're zeroing in on now.
Aren't those 2 kind of similar? Is it worth going with 2 more similar players or do we need something different? Granted I haven't seen either of them play much.

Reaction Score
Aren't those 2 kind of similar? Is it worth going with 2 more similar players or do we need something different? Granted I haven't seen either of them play much.

Skill-wise, no. Positionally, probably. I think it's probably one or the other, realistically. Both are big 3s that imagine themselves as 2s. But I also don't really know. Martin, in particular, there's practically 0 film. Very well could be selling Martin on playing the 2/3 and Nolley as the 3/4 or vice versa.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Skill-wise, no. Positionally, probably. I think it's probably one or the other, realistically. Both are big 3s that imagine themselves as 2s. But I also don't really know. Martin, in particular, there's practically 0 film. Very well could be selling Martin on playing the 2/3 and Nolley as the 3/4 or vice versa.

Hurley has been clear that one of these two spots is going to a big. I don’t think we would take both of these guys. And I suspect that with Bouk, Jackson, Adams, and potentially Polley, Hurley may be having a harder time selling the idea that we have minutes for these guys.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Would Sid re-enroll at UConn if we swing and miss on everyone ;)

Reaction Score
Would Sid re-enroll at UConn if we swing and miss on everyone ;)
Pretty sure if the new rule doesn’t go into effect until 21-22 Sid gets screwed. He becomes a sit 1 play 1 transfer. So honestly, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom