2020 Recruiting: - Transfer Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Jeriah Horne is transferring from Tulsa. 6'7 220. 41/34/86 shooting. Had a double double against us in Hartford, averaged 5.2 RPG in 29 minutes. Immediately eligible.
Kenya Hunter knows him from Nebraska previously as well (transferred from UNL to Tulsa after freshman year).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Jeriah Horne is xfering from Tulsa. Immediately Eligible. 6"7 . Article said shoots 42% from 3. Might be an option

He shot 42% from the field, 34% from 3.

Reaction Score
Just based off the numbers I’ll take him over Martin.
Definitely better right now. Martin would have two years. If someone else transferred getting two of Vaughn/Martin and Horne would be great IMO. Obviously everyone wants Nolley, but we have some solid alternatives unlike recent years in the transfer market.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Definitely better right now. Martin would have two years. If someone else transferred getting two of Vaughn/Martin and Horne would be great IMO. Obviously everyone wants Nolley, but we have some solid alternatives unlike recent years in the transfer market.

Agreed.

really need that 3pt shooting. And such a good ft shooter.

Reaction Score
another guy we were linked to having interest

6’4” 208 lbs

16-17: 10.0 pts, 2.1 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 0.7 steal on 42/37/57 shooting, 4.2 3-pt attempts per game

17-18: redshirt

18-19: 14.5 pts, 4.7 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.9 steal on 42/29/70 shooting, 4.9 3-pt attempts per game

19-20: 14.4 pts, 4.7 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.0 steal on 42/30/64 shooting, 4.5 3-pt attempts per game

Also, his dad played for St. John’s in the 90s.

Reaction Score
Don't know much about the player and haven't watched a game of theirs since the 18-19 season, but I like the style of play new coach Todd Golden plays.

For a WCC team, they are especially strong on defense (88th overall in KenPom) with a concerted effort to prevent second chance shots (33th).

On offense, they do a nice job preventing turnovers (71st) and have good shot selection inside the arc (65th).

Judging by these stats, to perform in Golden's system, you need to work hard on the boards and be smart with the ball. These are two attributes that mesh well with Hurley.

According to KenPom, a majority of his minutes were at the 2-guard, which is a mild surprise for a guy his size.

Reaction Score
another guy we were linked to having interest

Thanks. Just updated the list.

My guy tells me we don't go after him too hard. He has good size, but at 6'4 if you can't shoot, I'm not sure there is a huge role on this team for ya. We'll see though.

Reaction Score
I guess this is all depends on what the NCAA decides to do with the 1 transfer rule, but now that there are 2 scholarships available do you?:

1). Take 1 grad transfer immediately eligible and go for broke on a very talented 2nd transfer who might have to sit out a year (hello Nolley).

2). Take 2 grad transfers immediately eligible so you have 13 players who can play next season.

3). Get the best transfer you can no matter whether they need to sit out a year and bank the other scholarship for the 2021 class.

There are more permutations but basically do you want 11, 12 or 13 eligible players to play next season? Or do you just go for the best talent you can and not worry about numbers in 2020-2021? Remember there's a good chance Akok doesn't play the entire season and Polley is also somewhat of a question mark (although ACL rehab has better certainty that Achilles). Anyone else at risk of not qualifying (e.g. Springs from last season)?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carey is a tough one, was so disappointed when we missed on him out of HS. But there's not much to like from his time at Cuse

Reaction Score

Frankly, he's a hard pass for me. He never got much run at Cuse and could have been a player at another school. He may well end up being a great player somewhere, but we don't have time to nurture any broken players back to health.

Reaction Score
I guess this is all depends on what the NCAA decides to do with the 1 transfer rule, but now that there are 2 scholarships available do you?:

1). Take 1 grad transfer immediately eligible and go for broke on a very talented 2nd transfer who might have to sit out a year (hello Nolley).

2). Take 2 grad transfers immediately eligible so you have 13 players who can play next season.

3). Get the best transfer you can no matter whether they need to sit out a year and bank the other scholarship for the 2021 class.

There are more permutations but basically do you want 11, 12 or 13 eligible players to play next season? Or do you just go for the best talent you can and not worry about numbers in 2020-2021?
For me the preference is Vaughn and Nolley/Muprhy. I'm fine taking a risk of going into the season with 12 scholarship guys for the upside. Going in with 2 guys not eligible immediately becomes pretty risky when 1 of the 11 would be Javonte Brown Ferguson who I'm expecting very little from year 1

Reaction Score
With summer workouts probably being delayed or mostly canceled due to the current situation I wonder if there is an added benefit to adding two transfers rather than one transfer and one freshman. A freshman big like Etienne or Sanogo would presumably need a lot more weight room time to get them ready for the college level.

Reaction Score
With summer workouts probably being delayed or mostly canceled due to the current situation I wonder if there is an added benefit to adding two transfers rather than one transfer and one freshman. A freshman big like Etienne or Sanogo would presumably need a lot more weight room time to get them ready for the college level.
No. Etienne and Sanogo are both muscular men. They shouldn’t have a problem

Reaction Score
so if we end up getting dimecio and nolley that would be awesome. but on the flipside hurley might have to replace 6 guys in 2021: polley, whaley, carlton, and dimencio are all graduating, with bouk and maybe nolley going pro. that's a kentucky sized recruiting class.

point being, if he knows the transfer rule is going to pass hurley might prefer tyrese martin over dimencio, so he only has to replace 5 guys instead....

however, the rule passing isnt a given anymore so can hurley risk taking nolley and martin if they both might have to redshirt? there's just no way we can start the year with 10 guys given akok's injury.

long story short it has to be dimencio over martin. neither scenario is ideal but having to replace up to 6 guys in 2021 is better than playing with 10 guys in 2020. the ncaa screwed us once again by delaying this transfer vote...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak