Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just because you may not think he's a particularly good point guard, doesn't mean he is not a point guard. He is way more point guard than shooting guard. If you think he's unplayable say that. But don't say he's not a point guard when while he is on the basketball court for the University of Connecticut, he is absolutely playing point guard.

IMO you are who you guard. It’s clearly different now that it’s not always the littlest guy who brings the ball up the floor.

Reaction Score
Interesting quote from Shaka Smart about taking transfers. Sounds like Hurley's view before last year.

In last week's story on transfers and freshmen, I spotlighted Shaka Smart's approach to roster construction this season. Smart took only one player from the portal and opted to start five players who returned from last season. There was one quote from him that didn't make the piece that I thought was telling:

"There's always a leap of faith in this thing. There's a leap of faith for players, leap of faith for coaches, leap of faith in recruiting. We decided we trust Tyler Kolek. We trust Oso Ighodaro. We trust Stevie Mitchell, O-Max Prosper. We trust those guys. And it's a two-way street. They trusted us. And if they do, for us to turn around and take five transfers -- actions speak louder than words."

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Interesting quote from Shaka Smart about taking transfers. Sounds like Hurley's view before last year.

In last week's story on transfers and freshmen, I spotlighted Shaka Smart's approach to roster construction this season. Smart took only one player from the portal and opted to start five players who returned from last season. There was one quote from him that didn't make the piece that I thought was telling:

"There's always a leap of faith in this thing. There's a leap of faith for players, leap of faith for coaches, leap of faith in recruiting. We decided we trust Tyler Kolek. We trust Oso Ighodaro. We trust Stevie Mitchell, O-Max Prosper. We trust those guys. And it's a two-way street. They trusted us. And if they do, for us to turn around and take five transfers -- actions speak louder than words."

Yup, Hurley had a choice to go this way too. It’s whatever because we aren’t hurting for it, but all of our best most consistent players are still our guys.

Part of the reason I wouldn’t mind trusting our talented 2s in Ball and Stewart to take the reigns their freshman year if need be. If nothing else they’ll be much better for it as sophomores rather than having growing pains that we’ve seen from Jordan and Andre this year learning to handle extra responsibility.

Marquette is going to be even more dangerous getting everyone back. It’s rare and a luxury to be able to build years worth of chemistry like that.

Reaction Score
"it's whatever because we aren't hurting for it" is a pretty odd reaction to Hurley's roster construction given where this team is.
I don't think I've ever hated anything as much as that guy hates transfers. It's a bit scary

caw

Reaction Score

I don’t get this to be honest, the narrative that Smart doesn’t take transfers is absurd. He just didn’t take a ton this past year.

I mean Kolek and Prosper were transfers, just not fifth year guys. And he even admits he was after fifth year guys until NIL went crazy. He may have backed off, but was it really because he trusted his guys (then why was he after them in the first place), or was it because he didn’t have a big enough NIL bag for the transfers?

Talk about framing the narrative after the fact.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I don’t get this to be honest, the narrative that Smart doesn’t take transfers is absurd. He just didn’t take a ton this past year.

I mean Kolek and Prosper were transfers, just not fifth year guys. And he even admits he was after fifth year guys until NIL went crazy. He may have backed off, but was it really because he trusted his guys (then why was he after them in the first place), or was it because he didn’t have a big enough NIL bag for the transfers?

Yeah, but seems exactly the kind of message that will help recruiting and make his current guys want to run through walls for him.

Reaction Score
How the heck can you remain anti-transfer in 2023. I hope Boeheim’s replacement shares that viewpoint. Christ, even Scheyer said that Duke is gonna have to change how they recruit

Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if Singare is ready Tyler Phommachanh back up Clingan. Strikes me as a redshirt candidate.
I agree with you in that everything I’ve seen on highlight tapes seems like Singare is raw but I heard the staff thinks he’s very underrated

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Could be spin. I take it he assessed what he had and felt he needed to add little via transfer portal this season.

One way or the other his players bought in and gave Marquette a special season.

Reaction Score
I would thoroughly enjoy reading the cuse board if we were to win another ring with their players.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
"it's whatever because we aren't hurting for it" is a pretty odd reaction to Hurley's roster construction given where this team is.
Yes on the backs of his recruits. Hawkins, Andre, Karaban, DC, and Sanogo have been the most impactful players on this team. We aren’t winning because the transfers have played a huge role. The freshmen have had bigger ones. I wouldn’t mind seeing if that can ring true for next year too.

Reaction Score
Yes on the backs of his recruits. Hawkins, Andre, Karaban, DC, and Sanogo have been the most impactful players on this team. We aren’t winning because the transfers have played a huge role. The freshmen have had bigger ones. I wouldn’t mind seeing if that can ring true for next year too.

No doubt the freshman have had monster roles but can't throw out the transfers roles. Joey C a monster part of 14-0 despite the drop mid season. And Alleyne has been crucial in his minutes as of late and Diarra had his moments. By no means are we at this point without them as well.

For me even with a great frosh class coming in there's nothing like some experience to blend in to the team from an impact transfer or 2 who fit strategically.

Reaction Score
Tyler Kolek was a transfer. Marquette would not be nearly as good without him. And Newton hasn’t played a big role?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No doubt the freshman have had monster roles but can't throw out the transfers roles. Joey C a monster part of 14-0 despite the drop mid season. And Alleyne has been crucial in his minutes as of late and Diarra had his moments. By no means are we at this point without them as well.

For me even with a great frosh class coming in there's nothing like some experience to blend in to the team from an impact transfer or 2 who fit strategically.
I agree. I love Joey’s C game especially. Alleyne has really just came on towards the end of the year.

This is one of the first years we don’t have transfers playing over any of our own guys I guess is what I’m really trying to say. And it’s paid dividends.

There was talk about hitting the portal for a 4 last year but imagine if we brought someone in over Karaban and he doesn’t get this valuable experience that he got this year?

When he struggled early on in the year defensively do we think he would’ve kept getting good minutes to grow if we had a stable veteran transfer presence? The progress we’ve seen from Karaban is why I advocate so hard for young talented players to get consistent time with defined roles even if they struggle some at times (like Hawkins last year). Difference with Hawkins is we had Martin and it seemed to impede his development.

That’s all I’m worried about with our very talented freshman class we have coming in.

Reaction Score
His situation is like the Ivies that don't offer 5th year scholarships. His school doesn't have grad programs so he can't stay. It's undergrad only.

I did not know this. Touche

Reaction Score
Here's an actual name. He put his name into the portal early as a 5th year COVID grad transfer. Plays tonight in the Patriot league final if you want to do some scouting.

Bootleg Baylor Scheierman. 6'7". Not a strong defender, but his block/steal rates are actually not horrible. Career 39% from 3, 80% from the line. This season 42% and 86%. Definitely a shooter.

Good call out. He would be a great fit as a pure shooter off the bench - not very athletic but tall enough to overcome it. His set shot is unbelievably pure. Lafayette is playing Colgate for the championship tonight / I'm sure Colgate is going to be all over him.

Reaction Score
I think Singare is going to be backup to Clingin…Adama will go pro…Singare might be raw..but he is big strong and athletic… perfect backup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if Singare is ready Tyler Phommachanh back up Clingan. Strikes me as a redshirt candidate.
Yeah, I'm expecting Johnson at the 4-5 as backup to both Donovan and Alex if he's here. Singare is a project. People think Samson is skinny and raw, wait until they see Singare.

Honestly, I'm curious about whether Castle was told he's play PG or not. If so, then Diarra may be the backup and that's it. I suppose Ball is the starting 2, then, but I wouldn't mind Alleyne returning in that role. Starting two freshman guards isn't confidence inspiring.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm expecting Johnson at the 4-5 as backup to both Donovan and Alex if he's here. Singare is a project. People think Samson is skinny and raw, wait until they see Singare.

Honestly, I'm curious about whether Castle was told he's play PG or not. If so, then Diarra may be the backup and that's it. I suppose Ball is the starting 2, then, but I wouldn't mind Alleyne returning in that role. Starting two freshman guards isn't confidence inspiring.
Working out pretty well for Purdue.

Reaction Score
What we need is an absolute sniper to play the 2. Preferably a combo guard. And Castle gives us a ton of flexibility as we can play him next to a tiny guard so we should have mucho options.
A player like Tiger Campbell perhaps?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
100% no.

That last shot he took will serve as my argument.
Play him 8 minutes a game off the ball, cant leave him open in the corner. In case we need a zone buster or end-of-half/game situation since Alex will now be double-teamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom