Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm hoping Diarra improves a bit and is a solid backup PG. More concerned with shooting guard.
That would be ideal. If not, we’d need someone who can be steady because as good as Castle could be, he’s still a freshman.

Reaction Score
What are our biggest needs for next year?

I assume a “true” pg? Even if just as a depth piece (since Castle will nominally fill that role, even if he may be slightly miscast there).

Also I would imagine shooters will be at a premium with what we likely have departing.

Not really sure how enticing of a role we will be able to offer up to premier transfers, given what we likely have returning.
Shooters

Reaction Score
Creighton update, since there was a little discussion of our situation in this thread (if you’re not interested feel free to skip): Farabello and Mitchell have announced their intention to return. It’s overwhelmingly assumed the Ryans will be back.

The other three are on shakier ground; IMO in order of likelihood of leaving is Kaluma, Alexander, and Scheierman. I have a friend who is in a position to find out the straight scoop and his guess is the only departee is Art, pending a deep Tourney run that opens some eyes of scouts for someone like Trey. But that’s his guess, it’s fluid with all 3 of them.

Of note, a 4 star we recruited named Parker Friedrichsen that had committed to ND, re-opened his recruitment and called us and asked if he could come here. We don’t have a scholarship as of now and Mac told him he wouldn’t re-up the offer without someone 100 percent leaving. Friedrichsen passed on waiting to see, and went to Wake. So if we are turning down guys like that it tells you turnover here will be lower than you might think.

Just an FYI

Reaction Score
Watch the Syracuse roster after the season…..

I am ready to grab my popcorn! Good thing for them, the roster is so bleak that they don't have much talent to lose. Mintz is gonna be drafted. The (relatively) highly rated freshman like Bunch and Taylor haven't shown much and need fresh starts. Benny Williams was nearly a 5 star and he hasn't shown a pulse. Edwards will be a nice land for some other program, though.

The most hilarious outcome is if a kid like Girard transfer up a level to become instant offense of the bench for a real contender, like UConn.

Reaction Score
There are a handful of top 100 combo guards who we recruited at least for a minute last cycle who may transfer in Starling, Gayle and Anglin. A kid with Anglin's profile seems ideal but he did absolutely nothing this year.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah, I hope we bring in a PG who can come off the bench. Castle will be starting but I'd like to have someone other than Diarra as the main backup

We should be a very attractive destination though, a starting SG spot (presumably) open, and if you can shoot you're going to get minutes on next year's team given who is coming back
Diarra is our off the bench PG next year. Shooters shooters shooter

Reaction Score
getty images orange GIF

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am ready to grab my popcorn! Good thing for them, the roster is so bleak that they don't have much talent to lose. Mintz is gonna be drafted. The (relatively) highly rated freshman like Bunch and Taylor haven't shown much and need fresh starts. Benny Williams was nearly a 5 star and he hasn't shown a pulse. Edwards will be a nice land for some other program, though.

The most hilarious outcome is if a kid like Girard transfer up a level to become instant offense of the bench for a real contender, like UConn.

I actually think their roster has some talent and that it would keep JB around for one more year in hopes of catching some lightning in a bottle.

But, I no longer think is is going to happen. I think the roster was/is heading to the portal no matter what -there are some players there.

Reaction Score
I want someone to create a matrix/chart or track each transfer and see which ones get highest reaction scores from the BY.
Last year it was probably Newton, Llewellyn. There was Jahmir Young buzz for a bit. (He's had a terrific year at Maryland, btw. Top 5 in B1G player of the year on KenPom).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If he wanted a sixth year and a route to a FF or NC, I'd take a look at Nike Sibande. He knows Pitt will likely be worse next year with all the xfers leaving. Just won 6th Man award in ACC.

Reaction Score
You think so? Because Jake on their board is basically saying Boeheim will announce his retirement before the portal opens, Autry will probably be the next coach, and the players love him so they would have a better chance of getting guys to stick around.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You think so? Because Jake on their board is basically saying Boeheim will announce his retirement before the portal opens, Autry will probably be the next coach, and the players love him so they would have a better chance of getting guys to stick around.

Everyone loves the assistant coach right up the second they drop their Apple Notes message that they discussed it with God and their family and both decided that entering the portal was the right choice.

Also….Jake knows what he’s talking about.

Reaction Score
Singare is extremely raw, and I don't think we can anticipate him being high-major ready next year. Clingan and Karaban are the exception when it comes to freshman readiness.

A lockdown guard would be great, but hard pass if he can't shoot. We already have Diarra for that role, and maybe Alleyne.

Right now, we have one proven shooter on the team next year... that is a problem.
While I want to preface this with I agree 100% on Singare, I think how/who we go after in portal will be very telling.

Lots of ppl thought DC was going to come in pretty raw & under that notion was a little surprised we didn’t go after any experienced Bigs (if even as a backup)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d take Justin Taylor from Cuse to fill out the bench. Great shooter, good size, doesn’t do much else(yet). I think we’ll have to aim low for bench shooting. A starting caliber shooter is TBD on who enters the portal.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
High priority: AJ Storr(St John’s), Justin Taylor(Cuse)

Just an obvious fit with both guys. Starting caliber Shooter/Scorer in Storr. Bench shooter with upside in Taylor. Both are probably gettable.

Medium priority: Primo Spears(Georgetown)

Contingent on changing his role. If he needs 20 shots, he can stay away. But as a microwave bench scorer that can play more minutes when our sets are smothered? You could do worse. But he’s not a starter on a F4 caliber team, and I don’t expect him to accept a smaller role at this point.

Low priority: Mac Ettiene(sp?)(UCLA)

Random throwback name. Former top 50 recruit from CT that couldn’t find minutes on a loaded UCLA roster. I’m not sure what people are expecting as a veteran backup for Donny, but I’m imagining it won’t be a guy with a proven track record. UCLA often chose to go super small with JJ at the 5 instead of playing Mac, so I’m a little weary if he has what it takes to play here. But he’s a big body from the state that might find it more comfortable back home, with no expectations of starting.

Reaction Score
High priority: AJ Storr(St John’s), Justin Taylor(Cuse)

Just an obvious fit with both guys. Starting caliber Shooter/Scorer in Storr. Bench shooter with upside in Taylor. Both are probably gettable.

Medium priority: Primo Spears(Georgetown)

Contingent on changing his role. If he needs 20 shots, he can stay away. But as a microwave bench scorer that can play more minutes when our sets are smothered? You could do worse. But he’s not a starter on a F4 caliber team, and I don’t expect him to accept a smaller role at this point.

Low priority: Mac Ettiene(sp?)(UCLA)

Random throwback name. Former top 50 recruit from CT that couldn’t find minutes on a loaded UCLA roster. I’m not sure what people are expecting as a veteran backup for Donny, but I’m imagining it won’t be a guy with a proven track record. UCLA often chose to go super small with JJ at the 5 instead of playing Mac, so I’m a little weary if he has what it takes to play here. But he’s a big body from the state that might find it more comfortable back home, with no expectations of starting.
I was with you up till Max. That’s a hard pass for me. Behind the character issues (the spitting incident & I think he got suspended once outside that as well)
Beyond that, I don’t look at him as much beyond an energy guy who is goin to get his buckets off hustle and put backs. He seems kinda redundant Vs what I’m expecting Singare can provide

Reaction Score
Bring in Joe Girard for the Joey C spot.

No 1000 times no

I’ve seen him since HS - slow and lazy on D.

He is a spot up shooter and can be very good at times, but would not be great as a Joey C. replacement as he’s too prone to hunt shots vs. letting them come to him naturally in the flow of the offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89