Transfer portal part 2 | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

Reaction Score

I wonder if she's going to focus on volleyball. I recall she was considering playing both sports.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Will she have to apply for a waiver to get immediate eligibility to play in the 22-23 season?
Yes, since she didn't enter the portal by the May 1 deadline. After 2 years at JUCO, she transferred to Texas. But, that doesn't count as far as using her one-time transfer exemption. I'd imagine she'll have no problems getting a waiver since it's only been like 6 weeks since that May deadline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, since she didn't enter the portal by the May 1 deadline. After 2 years at JUCO, she transferred to Texas. But, that doesn't count as far as using her one-time transfer exemption. I'd imagine she'll have no problems getting a waiver since it's only been like 6 weeks since that May deadline.
There’s a reason for setting a deadline. They set the deadline and the consequences for not meeting that deadline. Unless there’s a head coach change their should be no waivers, IMO.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
There’s a reason for setting a deadline. They set the deadline and the consequences for not meeting that deadline. Unless there’s a head coach change their should be no waivers, IMO.
Perhaps. To me, they set the deadline to decrease the number of waiver requests they'd have to review; no way they expected to eliminate them completely. I don't see "consequences" as some kind of punishment just because a player entered the portal 6 weeks after the deadline which would have guaranteed the one-time transfer exemption. Despite the May 1 deadline, waivers for immediate eligibility can still be submitted, and approved or denied; that process remains in place for a reason.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Shaylee Gonzales (BYU) has entered the transfer portal

FWIW, someone from our board is reporting it's very likely Shaylee Gonzales will announce she's grad transferring to Stanford. Not sure what to make of that, but we do have a scholarship open, we do desperately need a seasoned PG, she has previously been recruited by us so she's presumably an academic fit, and there's precedent for a very late-in-the-game grad transfer with Jordan Hamilton. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Reaction Score
FWIW, someone from our board is reporting it's very likely Shaylee Gonzales will announce she's grad transferring to Stanford. Not sure what to make of that, but we do have a scholarship open, we do desperately need a seasoned PG, she has previously been recruited by us so she's presumably an academic fit, and there's precedent for a very late-in-the-game grad transfer with Jordan Hamilton. Guess we'll have to wait and see...
I'd be so hyped about this. Even though I'm a UConn fan. Seems like a really great fit. Learn from a GOAT. Play with some great players as well. Go to AZ a couple times a year during conference play. Potentially stay two years and get a grad degree from Stanford.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Per The Ball Out, Shaylee Gonzales is reportedly down to NC State, Texas and Oregon State.

tenor.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Per The Ball Out, Shaylee Gonzales is reportedly down to NC State, Texas and Oregon State.

Hopefully she ends up at a land grant... either one is preferable to the ribeye's.... no offense to any fans of the ribeye's.

Reaction Score
Dang. She was a late add to the transfer list. Did the Ville need another big?

Yes they do. Cochran can't do all the heavy lifting. Louisville's depth at the post isn't deep especially after a 2021 freshman opting to focus on volleyball instead.

Reaction Score
Yes they do. Cochran can't do all the heavy lifting. Louisville's depth at the post isn't deep especially after a 2021 freshman opting to focus on volleyball instead.
Yep. I’d imagine she is mostly to help compensate for the loss of E Engstler to graduation and to a lesser extent the loss of depth from the volleyball player and the transfer of R Parker to Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
Yep. I’d imagine she is mostly to help compensate for the loss of E Engstler to graduation and to a lesser extent the loss of depth from the volleyball player and the transfer of R Parker to Mississippi State.

Not sure how she can compensate for Engstler. Engstler wasn't a post player. Definitely Parker and the volleyball player. I can't recall her last name unfortunately.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not sure how she can compensate for Engstler. Engstler wasn't a post player. Definitely Parker and the volleyball player. I can't recall her last name unfortunately.
Did either of those other 2 even play? Engstler certainly defended in the post and rebounded. Her versatility probably isn't replaceable, but I wouldn't call her a guard or a wing.

Reaction Score
I’m talking about the overall production. Engstler averaged 9.4 rebounds last season. I guess it could be possible O Cochran is moved to the four and Williams fights it out with Dixon for minutes.

Reaction Score
Did either of those other 2 even play? Engstler certainly defended in the post and rebounded. Her versatility probably isn't replaceable, but I wouldn't call her a guard or a wing.

Both played very little.

I understand your point re how Engstler played, but I saw her more outside the key than inside. I could see wing and forward personally. Definitely need to find more rebounding.

I’m talking about the overall production. Engstler averaged 9.4 rebounds last season. I guess it could be possible O Cochran is moved to the four and Williams fights it out with Dixon for minutes.

For rebounding yes. For scoring, too early to tell what she can contribute. They need to size regardless considering some of the other ACC teams and their rosters. The more the better I say.

Reaction Score
Both played very little.

I understand your point re how Engstler played, but I saw her more outside the key than inside. I could see wing and forward personally. Definitely need to find more rebounding.

For rebounding yes. For scoring, too early to tell what she can contribute. They need to size regardless considering some of the other ACC teams and their rosters. The more the better I say.
I agree on both points and I think we are all basically saying the same thing. She will either help replace the rebounding numbers lost or she will at least be depth in case of injury or foul trouble.

Reaction Score
The player who was planning to split time between WBB and VB is Sydni Schetnan, 6'5" kid from South Dakota.

Reaction Score
The player who was planning to split time between WBB and VB is Sydni Schetnan, 6'5" kid from South Dakota.

Thanks! I knew it started with a Sch, but that's as far as my recollection went! :)

Reaction Score
It's a pretty big decision and potentially a 2 year one but it will be interesting to see how long it plays out. I was seeing teams announce their 22-23 roster and remembered Shaylee hadn't committed anywhere yet. Still think she's a pretty big domino.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom