Transfer portal part 2 | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I really like the pick up and am excited to watch the team.
Texas fans, any thoughts on the rest of the rotation. Do they have good depth?
They have a lot of players, but quality of depth is unknown beyond the 5 likely starters and Deyona Gaston (who could also start, as she was a starter last year). Shay Holle started 14 games last year but I never noticed her in games...she was more of a seldom used role player than an impactful one. Kyndall Hunter was a former top 25 recruit but barely played last year. Gutierrez and Masudi rode the bench last year too.

Texas has 3 top 100 recruits coming in. Mwenentanda was ranked as high as #10 as ASGR but #34 by Hoopgurlz. Not sure any of them will play meaningful minutes.

Guessing playing time rotation in big games might be something like:
Starters:
Harmon-35 mpg
Gonzales-35 mpg
Morris-30 mpg
Moore-25 mpg
Jones-30 mpg

Bench:
Gaston-20 mpg
Holle-10 mpg
Mwenentanda-10 mpg
Hunter-5 mpg

The vast majority of the team's firepower is in their starting 5 plus Gaston.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Who is the pg in this lineup? I know Gonzales is a pg but I forget if Harmon played the point for Texas last season. Gonzales shot 22% from 3 last season so she'll need to improve on that.

It will be interesting to see how Morris does at Texas in Vic's offense which is nothing like she played at DePaul. Morris benefited from DePaul's up tempo, free-flowing offense that put up a lot of 3s. She struggled against better teams that slowed the pace and played tougher half-court defense.

Harmon should be PG again, or maybe share some PG duties but I'll be stunned if she isn't bringing the ball up the court every possession.

I think Texas's guard heavy/1 on 1 offense suits Morris well. She'll have a smaller role than she had at DePaul which will be an adjustment, but offensively she creates well which is a trademark of Vic's system.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Harmon should be PG again, or maybe share some PG duties but I'll be stunned if she isn't bringing the ball up the court every possession.

I think Texas's guard heavy/1 on 1 offense suits Morris well. She'll have a smaller role than she had at DePaul which will be an adjustment, but offensively she creates well which is a trademark of Vic's system.
Did Morris leave DePaul because she was tired of being pummeled by UConn? :rolleyes:

I really do not remember any game against UConn where she played well. There was one game where she got off to a hot start and the just phhhtttt.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not really her game but we'll see how Vic uses her. She is not a big guard and tends to avoid contact.

Reaction Score
Texas will be a national championship contender. Elite guard play and a fantastic frontcourt trio. They will need Jones to stay healthy, which isn’t a given based on her career at OSU.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

It’s a good thing I’m not a Longhorns fan. With my arthritis I would struggle doing that “hook’em horns” signal with my hand.. Of course it could be worse. I could be a fan of the Vulcans. :rolleyes:

Live long and prosper…….

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Texas will be a national championship contender. Elite guard play and a fantastic frontcourt trio. They will need Jones to stay healthy, which isn’t a given based on her career at OSU.
Really impressive how fast Vic has Texas back in the upper echelon of women's basketball. He's in his 3rd year at Texas and they're already preseason title contenders. Kim is on a similar trajectory at LSU, landing former #2 Reese and and 2023 #1 overall Mikaylah Williams.

Reaction Score
Really impressive how fast Vic has Texas back in the upper echelon of women's basketball. He's in his 3rd year at Texas and they're already preseason title contenders. Kim is on a similar trajectory at LSU, landing former #2 Reese and and 2023 #1 overall Mikaylah Williams.
I agree. Both coaches are worth every penny if you wanting to build a national title contender.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
In WCBB the coach makes the program. Just ask our friends in Storrs...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Did Morris leave DePaul because she was tired of being pummeled by UConn? :rolleyes:

I really do not remember any game against UConn where she played well. There was one game where she got off to a hot start and the just phhhtttt.
She scored 19 points against UConn in Chicago this past January and played 39 minutes:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Taylor Jones move from Oregon State to Texas is turning out to be a pretty good move for Taylor and Texas. This team will contend for the National Championship.
If Texas can get to the Final Four in Dallas (where Taylor Jones grew up), we'll have a huge homecourt advantage. Everyone staying healthy is paramount.

Who can forget the last time the FF was in Dallas? Miss. State clipping UConn at the buzzer, and then Dawn winning her first title.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I guess Matharu felt slighted in Gonzales coming?
Seems like Matharu's transfer might have been in the works for a while, and that was one of the reasons Vic pursued Sonya Morris and Shaylee Gonzales.

As mentioned above, Matharu came off the bench most of the season because she had a tendency to get into early foul trouble. She did have some huge games against Stanford and Texas A&M during the regular season; but, she ended the season scoring zero points against Stanford in the Elite 8.

During summer workouts, Matharus was participating in all drills with the tea (as shown on social media). She even attended a team function/barbecue at Vic's home during July 4th weekend. July 7th was the last day of Texas' first summer session; that is the day we learn of Matharu's transfer. Could be possible she graduated from Texas now and has decided to play elsewhere as a grad-transfer. She was removed from the official 2022-23 roster that day. Matharu has yet to announce her departure on social media; also, she didn't announce a graduation. So, lots of questions still to be answered.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Anybody heard anything about Matharu. I have my suspicions… I think she may be headed to UNC, but that’s just my educated guess.
Being from D.C., I could see her ending up at UNC, NC State, or Virginia.

It was stated elsewhere that she started following an assistant coach from Arkansas on social media.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
They have a lot of players, but quality of depth is unknown beyond the 5 likely starters and Deyona Gaston (who could also start, as she was a starter last year). Shay Holle started 14 games last year but I never noticed her in games...she was more of a seldom used role player than an impactful one. Kyndall Hunter was a former top 25 recruit but barely played last year. Gutierrez and Masudi rode the bench last year too.

Texas has 3 top 100 recruits coming in. Mwenentanda was ranked as high as #10 as ASGR but #34 by Hoopgurlz. Not sure any of them will play meaningful minutes.
6'0 G, Jordana Codio suffered an ACL injury her senior year at Montverde Academey (FL). So, unless she has a tremendous rehab, she could be a candidate for a redshirt season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Gutierrez is a walk-on, so not really in the equation for substantial playing time.

6'4 Center transfer, Khadija Faye from Texas Texch will really help Texas defensively with her shot-blocking and rebounding. She put up some great numbers against Kansas State All-American, Ayoka Lee.

So, after the projected starting five, DeYona Gaston, Shay Holle, and Khadija Faye have proven they can provide quality (backup minutes). The big question is how second year player Kyndall Hunter and the 2 incoming freshmen can compete for playing time.

Texas still has 2 remaining scholarships for the upcoming season. Keep an eye on Georgia grad-transfer and San Antonio native, PG Gabby Connally. She entered the portal a couple of months ago after bypassing her final year of eligibility at Georgia. Her decision to play her final season kind of depends on how her job opportunities pan out. If proximity to San Antonio matters, Texas and Texas A&M (with former UGa head coach Joni Taylor) could be contenders for her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been crazy busy and just now really catching up. Matharu transferring was a total surprise. Is Vic turning into Waltz with his rent a player for a year philosophy? Did Matharu not want to compete with Gonzales?

I really don't get what is going on these days in the sport lol.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whose next move? For Connally it means that she's chosen to begin her career as a working professional versus playing one last season of college basketball.
The extra year of eligibility the NCAA granted all athletes who were in college during the 2020-21 academic year resulted in a lot of college students avoiding the inevitable decision to get on with their lives after college. I applaud Connally’s decision to put college behind her and begin a career in Public Administration.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The extra year of eligibility the NCAA granted all athletes who were in college during the 2020-21 academic year resulted in a lot of college students avoiding the inevitable decision to get on with their lives after college. I applaud Connally’s decision to put college behind her and begin a career in Public Administration.
That's one way to look at it.

Or, these student-athletes value education and the opportunity to pursue a Masters Degree. Connally had already received her Masters from Georgia, so her objectives probably differ at this point in her life than those who had only received an undergraduate degree.

Reaction Score
That's one way to look at it.

Or, these student-athletes value education and the opportunity to pursue a Masters Degree. Connally had already received her Masters from Georgia, so her objectives probably differ at this point in her life than those who had only received an undergraduate degree.
This, if given the opportunity for another of year free education that could jumpstart my career, I would definitely take it. Grad school is expensive and I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of the situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom