Transfer portal part 2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

Reaction Score
Anaya Peoples, Notre Dame
Dayaisha Fair - Buffalo
Zaay Green -

This is three to start off with.
I guess Wuwu can be added to the list. I hope she goes to South Carolina. Maybe Dawn can get her to be in better shape.

I thought this could happen. I thought Ashley was tougher than this. I think all the negativity about her weight from the fans didn't help. At least we got three solid years out of her. Including her outstanding performance in her first Big 10 championship.

Reaction Score
I guess Wuwu can be added to the list. I hope she goes to South Carolina. Maybe Dawn can get her to be in better shape.

I thought this could happen. I thought Ashley was tougher than this. I think all the negativity about her weight from the fans didn't help. At least we got three solid years out of her. Including her outstanding performance in her first Big 10 championship.
What gave you the impression that this could happen? Just curious.

Reaction Score
I like Ayana people's. She's a big guard, can post up a little bit, plays good defense.

Reaction Score
What gave you the impression that this could happen? Just curious.
Frankly, Owusu had a very disappointing year this past season. If you follow the Terps, you could see the difference in her play from the outstanding showing in the Big 10 tournament as a freshman to this past season. There were signs of her decline last season. In the Big 10 tournament last season, she was below average compared to the previous Big 10 tournament. Then there was the Texas game.

When she had her slump in Big 10 play, lots of Terp fans were harping on her lack of conditioning. She was unable to break down defenders like she did her sophomore year. Also, she was consistently getting beat off the dribble by opposing guards. When Taylor Mikesell beat you off the dribble, you know you have a problem.

I know Stanford need a PG but they have no scholarships available. I would love for her to go to South Carolina. Ashley is very introverted and she need someone to put a fire under her and force her to reach her full potential. Ashley has the best handles in WCBB but IMHO, she have major conditioning problems. I've been watching basketball for over 50 years and I can tell whether a person is in condition or not. Brionna Jones was out of condition when she came to Maryland. By her season year, she lost about 50 poinds. Look at what happened to Aliyah Boston and how great she is.

Being in condition is part of your job being a collegiate athlete on scholarship. I think Ashey failed at that. I hope Dawn or another coach can light a fire under her and get her to do the things she need to do the reach her full potential which is very high.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If SC gets Owusu.... Especially with Dawn's tweet the other day.... They spent time together last summer on team USA. Obviously there is a gap at the point guard with Henny leaving. And Owusu has a COVID year. Y not learn from one of the greats. Play with Boston and ur class one year. Lead with Cardoso and all the younger talent another while working on ur fitness. Idk makes sense to me tbh.
Rumors are swirling re: Barker from 2022 who decommitted from Georgia. I think that's the birdie she's referring to and would not be shocked to see her go to SC.

Reaction Score
I think Owusu knows that Maryland will never get over the hump to get to a final four and championship

Reaction Score
Frankly, Owusu had a very disappointing year this past season. If you follow the Terps, you could see the difference in her play from the outstanding showing in the Big 10 tournament as a freshman to this past season. There were signs of her decline last season. In the Big 10 tournament last season, she was below average compared to the previous Big 10 tournament. Then there was the Texas game.

When she had her slump in Big 10 play, lots of Terp fans were harping on her lack of conditioning. She was unable to break down defenders like she did her sophomore year. Also, she was consistently getting beat off the dribble by opposing guards. When Taylor Mikesell beat you off the dribble, you know you have a problem.

I know Stanford need a PG but they have no scholarships available. I would love for her to go to South Carolina. Ashley is very introverted and she need someone to put a fire under her and force her to reach her full potential. Ashley has the best handles in WCBB but IMHO, she have major conditioning problems. I've been watching basketball for over 50 years and I can tell whether a person is in condition or not. Brionna Jones was out of condition when she came to Maryland. By her season year, she lost about 50 poinds. Look at what happened to Aliyah Boston and how great she is.

Being in condition is part of your job being a collegiate athlete on scholarship. I think Ashey failed at that. I hope Dawn or another coach can light a fire under her and get her to do the things she need to do the reach her full potential which is very high.
I had noticed a change in her demeanour over the past year. A lot more frustration and the number of player control fouls surprised me. With respect to conditioning, I get where you're coming from however I tend to bristle at this comment at the same time.

Conditioning is one thing, however if fans think she had to be skinny/muscular to be in shape, then I have to disagree. I've known people for whatever reason never looked "athletic" but were in phenomenal shape, beating out their team mates in conditioning drills/testing. I've also seen the reverse where people who look fit are in crappy shape overall.

For example, players like Aaliyah Boston and Stefanie Dolson. This past year, there have been stories out that talked about what they did to eat better and get into better shape. From what I've seen, their frames do not look overly muscular (or they don't seem to be to me), but we all know this is not the case. I agree that as an athlete you have to be in shape, but I hope fans understand it isn't always the body type/build that's the indicator.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I could see Owusu at Louisville making a lot of sense with Hall and Smith graduating. Adding her and another transfer would put Louisville in a competitive spot to get back to the Final Four. LSU could be a good fit, though they won't compete for a title next year. Tennessee is another destination where she'd likely fit in well, although the offense Harper runs is markedly less creative than what she's used to at Maryland. South Carolina doesn't make sense IMO considering they have Johnson/Cooper waiting in the wings. UCONN doesn't make sense either. Odd that she's transferring after 3 years unless she can grad transfer--a lot of her Maryland credits won't transfer over to her new institution.

Reaction Score
I could see Owusu at Louisville making a lot of sense with Hall and Smith graduating. Adding her and another transfer would put Louisville in a competitive spot to get back to the Final Four. LSU could be a good fit, though they won't compete for a title next year. Tennessee is another destination where she'd likely fit in well, although the offense Harper runs is markedly less creative than what she's used to at Maryland. South Carolina doesn't make sense IMO considering they have Johnson/Cooper waiting in the wings. UCONN doesn't make sense either. Odd that she's transferring after 3 years unless she can grad transfer--a lot of her Maryland credits won't transfer over to her new institution.
How many spots does LV have open...11 left on the roster after Hall, Smith and Engstler depart. See 5 incoming: Nyla Harris, Zyanna Walker, Imani Lester, Jayln Brown and Alexia Mobley

Reaction Score
Would there be room for her since the recent addition of Powell to their roster? I'm thinking they may be guard heavy with the amount of freshman and sophomores at that position, not to mention Horston. They also should be getting Saurez back from her injury too and she's performed well in the past.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How many spots does LV have open...11 left on the roster after Hall, Smith and Engstler depart. See 5 incoming: Nyla Harris, Zyanna Walker, Imani Lester, Jayln Brown and Alexia Mobley
It's Walz...if Owusu wants to play for him, he'll find a way to get her there. And I am guessing Louisville will have several transfers between now and November.

Reaction Score
Could this site have some inside info?

Like the "inside" info they had on Cardoso allegedly transferring to UConn? Or their expert panel polls that they had to rank teams in various conferences?

Listing Penn State as a possible spot is a red flag to me. Anytime I see anything posted by them, I see it as click bait to sign up for their services and I'm not sure if what they offer would be of any value.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
For those who have watched Owusu play a lot, what is her natural position? And, what position is she best suited for as a professional player?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With all the players in the portal, how long does it usually take for them to announce what school they are transferring to? I would think that when the higher rank players enter the portal, they might have some idea which school(s) they would like to play for. Do the schools that have an interest in someone have to contact the players or is it vice-versa?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom