OT: - Top 5 Rappers | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Top 5 Rappers

Reaction Score
No he's not. It's not even arguable. Black musicians were rapping in blues songs 15 years before Dylan made that song. The blues were around long before 1965. Google Joe Hill Louis "Gotta Let You Go", and he may not be the first.
African tribes were doing some form or rap if we really want to go down that road. Rap/hip-hop was born in the South Bronx at the start of the 70's.

Reaction Score
African tribes were doing some form or rap if we really want to go down that road. Rap/hip-hop was born in the South Bronx at the start of the 70's.
Yes, modern hip-hop started in the Bronx, but I thought we were talking about rapping. "Rapping" didn't start in the Bronx. And it damn sure didn't start with Bob Dylan

Reaction Score
Yes, modern hip-hop started in the Bronx, but I thought we were talking about rapping. "Rapping" didn't start in the Bronx. And it damn sure didn't start with Bob Dylan
Then why the hell did you reference Joe Hill Louis and not griots? By your strange definition rap music started like a thousand years ago in Africa.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No he's not. It's not even arguable. Black musicians were rapping in blues songs 15 years before Dylan made that song. The blues were around long before 1965. Google Joe Hill Louis "Gotta Let You Go", and he may not be the first.
Fair points and I will fire up the google machine when I have a chance to give a listen. I don’t consider Dylan or rap to be blues, but as Wynton Marsalis says the blues are to great music as olive oil is to great food so I will reconsider after listening. I was thinking of phrasing when I referenced the Dylan tune, which hits my ear similar to rap.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Then why the hell did you reference Joe Hill Louis and not griots? By your strange definition rap music started like a thousand years ago in Africa.

Guys, it’s a conversation and it could be an interesting one. No reason for anyone to get triggered.

Reaction Score
this may the whitest thread of all time
The thread was humming along nicely until 8893 proclaimed Bob Dylan may be the first rapper. He's not the only one, some wanksters have tried to proclaim Debbie Harry is the first rapper.

He means well but seriously???

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The thread was humming along nicely until 8893 proclaimed Bob Dylan may be the first rapper. He's not the only one, some wanksters have tried to proclaim Debbie Harry is the first rapper.

He means well but seriously???
Yes, seriously. I go by my ears, not by what I think might impress others.

Sorry, I thought it was a discussion. Didn’t mean to offend your impeccable rap credentials.

Reaction Score
1. Rakim
2. Nas
3. Biggie
4. Posdnuos
5. ....
  • Rakim is the only guy who has to be in the Top 5. What he did and when he did it; he is by far the most influential rapper in history. Stuff he wrote 30 years ago is still miles ahead of what most rappers ever did. He was so ahead of his time. There is no Nas, Biggie, Eminem, etc without him.
  • Nas is Nas; your favorite rapper's favorite rapper. Illmatic is the best rap album ever made. Peak Nas > xyz.
  • Pos is the most underrated rapper.
  • Biggie was the complete package. Flow, lyrics, street + a mainstream element.

I've never been able to choose the fifth rapper. So many great possibilities: Big Pun, Guru, Q-Tip, Eminem, Black Thought, 2Pac, etc.

Reaction Score
Yes, seriously. I go by my ears, not by what I think might impress others.

Sorry, I thought it was a discussion. Didn’t mean to offend your impeccable rap credentials.
It doesn't offend me but it would certainly offend a lot of black people. It's like saying Elvis created rock music.

I know it wasn't your intent but...

Reaction Score
And let me just say, Drake blows chunks.

I honestly don't get the Drake hate. I don't know if it's a pseudo macho thing or what. I'm not his biggest fan and no one should put him anywhere near an all time great list, but there's a place for his style within hip hop and he's got some songs that anyone who seriously claims to like hip hop can appreciate. I mean, we've got people shouting out Future and Tekashi 69 as all time greats and people are ______ on Drake. Bizarre.

Reaction Score
Where did I define rap music?

You're going off the rails here. My point was, which very easily understood by the person it was addressed to, is that Bob Dylan wasn't anywhere close to being the first "rapper".

Modern hip-hop was not started because some kids in the Bronx learned about griots in school and became inspired, so that's a pretty good reason not to take it back that far. They listened to what their parents and grandparents listened to, and developed a new style of music. Let us know when you're done arguing with yourself. Have a beer and relax, it's friday.

Reaction Score
I would go with big pun for best flow but biggie up there.

Drake is nowhere near top 5 for rapper. Very good nah

Pac
Biggie
Nas
Big l
Hov

Honorable mention:

Mos def
Guru
Ras kass (just put the 4 horsemen in there)
Ice cube
Snoop
Scarface
Rakim
Dre
Common
Talib
Budden
So many more before these new age bubblegum rappers

Finally. Someone who understands what a great emcee is.

Reaction Score
Where did I define rap music?

You're going off the rails here. My point was, which very easily understood by the person it was addressed to, is that Bob Dylan wasn't anywhere close to being the first "rapper".

Modern hip-hop was not started because some kids in the Bronx learned about griots in school and became inspired, so that's a pretty good reason not to take it back that far. They listened to what their parents and grandparents listened to, and developed a new style of music. Let us know when you're done arguing with yourself. Have a beer and relax, it's friday.
Promise you I'm relaxed, you just don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Everything has it's influence from somewhere, if you want to trace all music back from the very beginning you end up in Africa. That's not modern hip-hop that was founded in the Bronx, that's hip-hop.

Reaction Score
Promise you I'm relaxed, you just don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Everything has it's influence from somewhere, if you want to trace all music back from the very beginning you end up in Africa. That's not modern hip-hop that was founded in the Bronx, that's hip-hop.
You're putting words in my mouth and then saying I'm clueless. Is this intentional? Are you a moron or just being a DB?

I never said hip-hop wasn't founded in the Bronx. I said Bob Dylan wasn't the first guy to rap in a song, and I provided an example proving that.

Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Biggie, Nas, Pun, Eminem and DMX ill take these 5 lyrically against any 5 ever and id win. Easily. DMX has somehow become one of the most underrated emcees of all time which is insane to me. Listen to his first 4 or 5 albums. Absolutley incredible. Pun only had 2 albums the second of which he struggled with then never finished because of his failing health and ultimate death but his first album is easily one of the best rap albums of all time. Had the best flow in rap history.

Reaction Score
Just recently got back into some of my LA and Bay Area records. Most people hear Cali hip-hop and they think Gangster rap (which is great) but some of the best music came from out that way with Hieroglyphics, The Pharcyde, Dilated Peoples, Souls of Mischief and these guys...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom