OT: - Top 5 Rappers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Top 5 Rappers

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think rap is like basketball, it's really hard to compare across eras. Krs1 and slick Rick and tribe, how do you compare then to biggie, nas, pac, jayz. Then this new era drake and co are on some other stuff.
You can't, really

Reaction Score
That's one of my qualms with eminem stans they act like he created rhyme schemes no one else ever did, he created emo rap and no one did it beforehand, everything he put was flawless, etc

That's not the case. He's one of the greatest but to me he's bigger than he really is because he's white. And this is coming from an Italian American.
It's kind of crazy, I was a big fan and I'm still a fan but his fans who act like he created some unheard of thing and shaped rap are flat out annoying. He's a clever rhymer, has a cool flow and rapped about some things which are pretty uncommon but I've listened to his first couple of albums (which were his best) recently and they're pretty damn hard to nod your head to. These were his great albums and a lot of it just doesn't hold up all that well for me. I haven't even liked most of his stuff in more recent years.

The stuff I love from him is songs and verses he's done on things like Soundbombing and collabos with others, "The Sauce" is one of the best diss tracks of all-time. Basically he's a great rapper who is lyrical and extremely clever but nothing he's done hasn't been done before. There are plenty of other rappers who are more lyrical, with bigger vocabs.

He's up near the pantheon but there are just guys who are better. Marshall Mathers LP is clearly his best and there are a bunch of other rappers who have stuff that blows it out of the water.

Reaction Score
I'll go Nas, Andre 3000, Eminem, Wayne, Tupac. Pre-2011 Drake was on the right track to break into it but then started making pop nonsense

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's kind of crazy, I was a big fan and I'm still a fan but his fans who act like he created some unheard of thing and shaped rap are flat out annoying. He's a clever rhymer, has a cool flow and rapped about some things which are pretty uncommon but I've listened to his first couple of albums (which were his best) recently and they're pretty damn hard to nod your head to. These were his great albums and a lot of it just doesn't hold up all that well for me. I haven't even liked most of his stuff in more recent years.

The stuff I love from him is songs and verses he's done on things like Soundbombing and collabos with others, "The Sauce" is one of the best diss tracks of all-time. Basically he's a great rapper who is lyrical and extremely clever but nothing he's done hasn't been done before. There are plenty of other rappers who are more lyrical, with bigger vocabs.

He's up near the pantheon but there are just guys who are better. Marshall Mathers LP is clearly his best and there are a bunch of other rappers who have stuff that blows it out of the water.
Might as well!! Haha

In what aspects is Eminem not in your top 10? Honestly curious

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

His last great (or even good) album was the Eminem show. Everything else wasn’t that good except for a few singles. Sad he went down hill

Reaction Score

I don't think Eminem's ferocity or flow will ever be matched. His songs might not be ones that make you nod your head but his words are personal and meaningful. Not gonna lie I'm an Eminem homer but I really think nobody's done it better.

Reaction Score
I’ll be honest, i’m not really an Eminem fan, he raps too angry for me and always sounds mostly the same, but I can recognize that he is one of the best to ever do it. Not the best, I think a few OGs have better flow and/or lyrical talent, but he did revolutionize his era, he is one of the greats.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you saw how hiphop was born and evolved then regressed you would be disgusted too.

Rolling Stones eventually led to ---> Nickleback.

Nature of the beast unfortunately.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Only one slight mention of Wu and heavy praise for Drake? I am on the wrong planet.

Drake is garbage. Please.

Wutang is a group though. I thought it was rapper, as in singular. Ghostface Killah?

Reaction Score
Wutang is a group though. I thought it was rapper, as in singular. Ghostface Killah?
Everyone in the group probably blow away all the rappers listed in this thread.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ghostface, Raekwon, GZA, and Method Man can all go up against almost anyone.

True. And ODB for style!

I was trying to pick the best of the group which is tough. I'd probably throw in for Ghostface.

Reaction Score
Someone link this thread on a hip hop message board, please. Need to see reactions.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
No order:

Ice T
Big Daddy Kane
Chuck D
Grandmaster Melle Mel
Slick Rick

Reaction Score
The stuff I love from him is songs and verses he's done on things like Soundbombing and collabos with others, "

Any Man on Soundbombing is great. When he started talking about cutting his mom's head off and whatnot I lost interest. I think the people who say he's hands down the best to ever do it have probably never heard of Big L or guys like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom