OT: Top 5 Rappers

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I want one more Black Star album before it’s too late

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He's up near the pantheon but there are just guys who are better. Marshall Mathers LP is clearly his best and there are a bunch of other rappers who have stuff that blows it out of the water.

The problem with MM is that the highs are incredibly high and the lows were so immature and stupid that it ruined the album. Dude needed someone to just stop him from putting down some of the BS that made it to the final CD. But I still haven't heard anything since 2000 that blew me away the way Stan or Kim did on first listen. Or Amityville for that matter.

If you've got something in mind that stands up to the drama and storytelling combined with the tune and phrasing that stands up to those two, I'm interested in hearing what they are. As an old white guy I'm not interested in beats. That's for kids. I'm interested in how the artist paints a full picture.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You gotta take in the fact that he’s the most influential rapper in society besides Kanye.

Simon Cowell is the most influential talent-maker. Oprah and Ellen are the most influential cultural figures. And we know who the most influential politician (who's not a politician) is.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that Americans are not all that discriminating about what's good or what's art these days. Hell, Coors Light is the bestselling beer.

If one is going to put Kanye and Drake in the pantheon, then I'm going to add Lyrics Born in there because he produced an upbeat danceable tune about cancer.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While Colors is widely considered within their cult the crowning jewel of their work thus far, a lot of said cult members came to BTBAM from metal, not from where you come from. So they love the overarching death metal timbre. You mentioned a specific part of Colors that turned you off and it seemed like you were describing the “WHIIIIITE WAAALLLLLS” part (actually speaking of fans, that last song is a tribute to their fans”

But actually if you care to, subsequent albums start to mellow out and by Coma Ecliptic the pace is generally slower and is comprised of many more and longer lows. They start to incorporate a celestial, dreamy kind of vibe with these concept albums too

The real reason I love them, and it’s harder to appreciate it in Colors as it is in Parallax, Coma, and Automata, is that the albums are single entities; there are lyrical and musical themes that recur, and especially Coma bookends itself with a varied riff. These three albums are also concept albums that lend themselves to a grand orchestral piece like that.

Coma’s story follows a guy who is placed in a coma-inducing machine and starts traveling with a guide through past lives and at the end of each experience has to decide if he wants to stay and live in that reality or move on to the next past life. Automata tackles the concept of what it would be like if dreams were siphoned from people and broadcast for entertainment. I won’t even try to explain the concept that drove Parallax to you lmao. Their content is so incredibly deep, but unfortunately very abstract and for many inaccessible

I thought RTW came from metal. Or death metal. Or speed death to meat eaters metal. Or speed death to meat eating women metal. Or something like that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with MM is that the highs are incredibly high and the lows were so immature and stupid that it ruined the album. Dude needed someone to just stop him from putting down some of the BS that made it to the final CD. But I still haven't heard anything since 2000 that blew me away the way Stan or Kim did on first listen. Or Amityville for that matter.

If you've got something in mind that stands up to the drama and storytelling combined with the tune and phrasing that stands up to those two, I'm interested in hearing what they are. As an old white guy I'm not interested in beats. That's for kids. I'm interested in how the artist paints a full picture.
Stan is a truly great song but there is a bunch of stuff out there that's better and paints a better picture, IMO. I don't like the Amityville song or Kim.

This song popped into my head. It's from the perspective of the two rappers dad's in Vietnam and paints a hell of a picture, R.A. the Rugged Man's verse starting at 1;25 blows away anything from Eminem, IMO.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Simon Cowell is the most influential talent-maker. Oprah and Ellen are the most influential cultural figures. And we know who the most influential politician (who's not a politician) is.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that Americans are not all that discriminating about what's good or what's art these days. Hell, Coors Light is the bestselling beer.
But at some level, popular = art, no?

I was in Pittsburgh the week before last for work and was able to steal away for a few hours to check out the Andy Warhol Museum, which I thought was excellent and very provocative. It made me very curious to think about the art he would be creating if he were still alive today.

Very nice city you have there, by the way. I hadn't been there in more than 20 years; I liked it then, but was very impressed by how much it has developed since.

Didn't have a lot of time for extracurriculars, but enjoyed a nice late meal at Eleven; a beautiful early morning run along the river trail and across many bridges; outstanding breakfast at Pamela's; and a great night at PNC (including a Primanti Bros. sandwich and amazing display for Fireworks Night).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Stan is a truly great song but there is a bunch of stuff out there that's better and paints a better picture, IMO. I don't like the Amityville song or Kim.

This song popped into my head. It's from the perspective of the two rappers dad's in Vietnam and paints a hell of a picture, R.A. the Rugged Man's verse starting at 1;25 blows away anything from Eminem, IMO.

That's really good. And I'm not surprised I've never heard it. Not the kind of thing that's going to find its way to my demographic. Too bad that wasn't released in 1968.

Tougher for me to relate to Stray Bullet. As a long-time suburbanite, I don't relate to the experience (not to mention I could really use a lyrics sheet) the same as I would Vietnam as I actually had a draft card, but never lived in the ghetto.

EDIT: Nas tune good as well. I'd heard some Nas that I was ambivalent about, but never that one.

As far as you not liking "Kim", is it the content? I view it sort of like Mapplethorpe - very uncomfortable, but no doubt it is art.

Reaction Score

Budden is one of the most underrated/ overlooked artists.

Reaction Score
That's really good. And I'm not surprised I've never heard it. Not the kind of thing that's going to find its way to my demographic. Too bad that wasn't released in 1968.

Tougher for me to relate to Stray Bullet. As a long-time suburbanite, I don't relate to the experience (not to mention I could really use a lyrics sheet) the same as I would Vietnam as I actually had a draft card, but never lived in the ghetto.

EDIT: Nas tune good as well. I'd heard some Nas that I was ambivalent about, but never that one.

As far as you not liking "Kim", is it the content? I view it sort of like Mapplethorpe - very uncomfortable, but no doubt it is art.
Yes, I don't like the content and all the screaming and other noise effects are unpleasant to my ears.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Howd you like it? Overrated, amirite?
It needed to happen and there was nothing unpleasant about it, but I was glad I split it because it’s not something I would want to eat all of. And yeah putting coleslaw and fries on a griddled meat sandwich on thick white bread is not a culinary feat worthy of hype. If I were to have one again I would go for the cappicola instead of the beef, but the guy I was with doesn’t eat ham.

The Pamela’s breakfast was outstanding however. Short stack of their signature crepe pancakes, and Pittsburgh Hash (lyonnaise potatoes, diced kielbasa, sauerkraut and melted Swiss) with local rye toast and two eggs over easy. Heaven.

Reaction Score
I scrolled through this topic quickly because rap is not the best form of music and that isn't debateable but, as far as I can tell, not one mention of de la soul??

I had Pos in my Top 5 and someone else had Dove in theirs.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It needed to happen and there was nothing unpleasant about it, but I was glad I split it because it’s not something I would want to eat all of. And yeah putting coleslaw and fries on a griddled meat sandwich on thick white bread is not a culinary feat worthy of hype. If I were to have one again I would go for the cappicola instead of the beef, but the guy I was with doesn’t eat ham.

The Pamela’s breakfast was outstanding however. Short stack of their signature crepe pancakes, and Pittsburgh Hash (lyonnaise potatoes, diced kielbasa, sauerkraut and melted Swiss) with local rye toast and two eggs over easy. Heaven.

It's much better with the cappicola, trust me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If one is going to put Kanye and Drake in the pantheon, then I'm going to add Lyrics Born in there because he produced an upbeat danceable tune about cancer.

Perfectly put.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But at some level, popular = art, no?

I was in Pittsburgh the week before last for work and was able to steal away for a few hours to check out the Andy Warhol Museum, which I thought was excellent and very provocative. It made me very curious to think about the art he would be creating if he were still alive today.

Very nice city you have there, by the way. I hadn't been there in more than 20 years; I liked it then, but was very impressed by how much it has developed since.

Didn't have a lot of time for extracurriculars, but enjoyed a nice late meal at Eleven; a beautiful early morning run along the river trail and across many bridges; outstanding breakfast at Pamela's; and a great night at PNC (including a Primanti Bros. sandwich and amazing display for Fireworks Night).

'Popular' might equal 'art' on some level, but it doesn't make it necessarily 'good' or 'aesthetically pleasing'. There are gradations of quality.

Reaction Score

Friend just randomly sent me this. I wonder if he reads the yard lol

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Friend just randomly sent me this. I wonder if he reads the yard lol

LOL,
Snoop: "Which white n----r did we give up for Em?"
Cruz: "Not Michael Rappaport!"
Snoop: "Nooo, he's one of us!"

Been trying to tell y'all Rappaport thinks he's black, but I get pushback.

Reaction Score
So Eminem dropped a surprise album late last night called Kamikaze. The couple of songs I've heard sound pretty good, seems like a return to more of his older stuff. I like the License to Ill cover art as well.

Reaction Score
So Eminem dropped a surprise album late last night called Kamikaze. The couple of songs I've heard sound pretty good, seems like a return to more of his older stuff. I like the License to Ill cover art as well.
Gotta listen to that, heard it was pretty good. Eminem definitely dulled on me the last few albums but i’m looking forward to this.

Reaction Score

Best album since Recovery IMO. He’s back to dissing everyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom