The Official Tourney Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official Tourney Thread

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big difference in these low vs. high seed games between keeping it close down the stretch and winning the game. The lower seeds tend to panic in the crunch. They make bonehead plays, or the superior teams simply know how to handle the situation and make the plays when it matters, and it helps having bigger or more skilled players & coaching.

Not always obviously, but more often than not.

I think the biggest difference is that the big time programs that make the tournament usually have big time coaches that can handle crunch time, and the mid-majors do not. This impacts the play calling and the nerves at crunch time. This was definitely the case in the Virginia/UNCW and Notre Dame/Princeton games. UNCW's and Princeton's coaches may get there someday, but they are not there today.

Brey has coached the same team since he got to Notre Dame...good offensively with great shooting, and poor defense. But he is a solid crunch time coach, and his teams close with confidence.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree. They are getting tons of good looks which is a surprise because they are normally not good against the zone.

Xavier switched to man-to-man, and Turgeon is stumped. Looks like he blew his coaching wad in practice this week.

Edit: Maryland has hit 1 shot in the last 6+ minutes, a 17 foot fadeaway. You would think Xavier had 6 defenders on the court given how lost Maryland is on offense.

Reaction Score
Turgeon is a mediocre coach. If you thought he was big time because MD had a nice first half, please refresh yourself on his career. Man, the B1G sucks this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why so many 3's by Xavier? The ball screener above the 3 point line is literally by himself on the roll every time, but Xavier is only hitting the roll every third time. They could get 3-4 layups in a row before Maryland adjusted, and the adjustment would be to tighten up the help which would open up the 3's. Xavier is keeping Maryland in the game by taking too many contested 3's. .

Reaction Score
I think the biggest difference is that the big time programs that make the tournament usually have big time coaches that can handle crunch time, and the mid-majors do not. This impacts the play calling and the nerves at crunch time. This was definitely the case in the Virginia/UNCW and Notre Dame/Princeton games. UNCW's and Princeton's coaches may get there someday, but they are not there today.

Brey has coached the same team since he got to Notre Dame...good offensively with great shooting, and poor defense. But he is a solid crunch time coach, and his teams close with confidence.

ND is a capable defensive squad this year. 50 something on KemPom. A lot better than usual, for sure. Keats is a good coach. Don't be surprised to see him at an NC St. or Clemson type program next year. I think the reason big time schools typically beat smaller schools in crunch time is because their players are more used to the high pressure situations. And because their players are better. I know I am going out on a limb with that statement. For whatever its worth, a lot of end game situations come down to ISO ball. Not a surprise that the better teams have better players who can make these plays.

Reaction Score
Why so many 3's by Xavier? The ball screener above the 3 point line is literally by himself on the roll every time, but Xavier is only hitting the roll every third time. They could get 3-4 layups in a row before Maryland adjusted, and the adjustment would be to tighten up the help which would open up the 3's. Xavier is keeping Maryland in the game by taking too many contested 3's. .

Xavier probably just wants to keep alive the possibility of choking away the game in excruciating fashion which they usually do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wow Xavier legit only taking 3s

When they do that, they also don't create as many fouls. Maryland has been overplaying the 3's for the whole game, but Xavier is not exploiting the driving lanes.

Not impressed with Xavier's press break. There is a lot of open space but the Xavier players are not getting separation form their defenders.

Reaction Score
Remember Trimble and Stone torching us at Maryland? Trimble is 1-8 from 3.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Xavier switched to man-to-man, and Turgeon is stumped. Looks like he blew his coaching wad in practice this week.

Edit: Maryland has hit 1 shot in the last 6+ minutes, a 17 foot fadeaway. You would think Xavier had 6 defenders on the court given how lost Maryland is on offense.

Make up your mind - either Maryland is ready and well coached tonight or are they a team where the coach is stumped
Why does X take so many 3's - that's their MO this year as well as the rest of the New Big East
Xavier lost their heart and quarterback when the PG went out earlier this season - but they have bounced back. If he had not been hurt this is a top ten team
Maryland, like Minnesota, are over seeded

Reaction Score
Not sure if it is because my ex-fiance went there for her masters, or because of 2002 in the elite 8 or because Trimble looks like such a tool, but so happy to see Xavier win this. Screw Maryland. I picked this upset in every single bracket, don't care.

Reaction Score
Maryland was way over seeded. Big 10 got a gift with that Vanderbilt dumb foul or it could be 0-3

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Xavier over Maryland was the lock of the century closely followed by Middle Tennesssee over Minnesota. Too easy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Purdue has opened a 2-3 basket lead, but can't pull away. If Purdue can get by it's usual first round chokefest, they could do a little damage. They can shoot.

VCU has made an amazing comeback against St. Mary's. I have been flipping around, and this is probably the best played of the 7 pm games tonight. Both teams playing good basketball and both teams are attacking the hoop which is a nice change after the 3 point shooting contest that was Maryland vs. Xavier..

Reaction Score
Xavier over Maryland was the lock of the century closely followed by Middle Tennesssee over Minnesota. Too easy.

Absolutely. Minnesota was -1.5 vs a 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ND is a capable defensive squad this year. 50 something on KemPom. A lot better than usual, for sure. Keats is a good coach. Don't be surprised to see him at an NC St. or Clemson type program next year. I think the reason big time schools typically beat smaller schools in crunch time is because their players are more used to the high pressure situations. And because their players are better. I know I am going out on a limb with that statement. For whatever its worth, a lot of end game situations come down to ISO ball. Not a surprise that the better teams have better players who can make these plays.

NCAA talent is not on some forced ranked continuum, no matter how badly the recruiting services want us to believe that. Other than the clearly NBA bound players, the talent difference gets pretty small between the top mid and low majors, and the middle of the pack and below high majors. If a team is within a basket with 2-3 minutes left, I think talent is less of a factor. There are only a handful of possessions, and it really comes down to mental toughness and confidence. Those are the two toughest things to coach.

Reaction Score
NCAA talent is not on some forced ranked continuum, no matter how badly the recruiting services want us to believe that. Other than the clearly NBA bound players, the talent difference gets pretty small between the top mid and low majors, and the middle of the pack and below high majors. If a team is within a basket with 2-3 minutes left, I think talent is less of a factor. There are only a handful of possessions, and it really comes down to mental toughness and confidence. Those are the two toughest things to coach.

Yea, every game is obviously unique. You were referring to ND and UVA earlier. I don't think either of those teams have NBA talent. So you are right on that point. But a lot of these teams do have 1st round bucket getters that are the difference in close games. No one on UVM could stand up to a guy like Swanigan, who isn't even an elite prospect, but still a likely 1st rounder. Sometimes we see the mid-majors with better high end talent than middling P5's nowadays. I would take Upshaw over any kid on UM.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
same crew that did uconn cinci reffing the st marys game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom