The Official Tourney Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Official Tourney Thread

Reaction Score
Is anybody else getting as sick and tired of guys pulling up and taking a deep, out-of-their-range 3-point shot at the end of games when it is not needed as I am? It is so freakin' annoying!

Just saw it for the 2nd time today... now a guy from Vanderbilt. This one was even worse than the Princeton player earlier (although that one was stupid and selfish as well), because this kid just dribbled and dribbled until he pulled up from 28 to 30 feet and heaved it - missing, of course. Both guys were thinking the same thing - "look at me as I swish a 3-pointer to win the game for my team. I'm gonna be on SportsCenter!" Instead of getting a much better shot by passing to an open teammate closer to the basket.

You are losing by 1 point. 1 POINT! A lay up or put back or short jump shot wins you the game just as much as these asinine 3-point heaves do... at a much better percentage.

Everyone wants to be a HERO - I hate HERO BALL! Too much watching and wanting to be a highlight on SportsCenter.
Everyone wants to be Steph Curry. Curry nails that shot a majority of the time...these two kids...not so much. However, in the Princeton game, that was a good look, and they had nothing better down low.

Reaction Score
Just looked at Minnesota's record/schedule. How was that team a 5 seed, above both Cincinnati and SMU? The B1G isn't even that good this year!

Reaction Score
N'Western wins, JLD happy

NMBQoA.gif

Reaction Score
Is anybody else getting as sick and tired of guys pulling up and taking a deep, out-of-their-range 3-point shot at the end of games when it is not needed as I am? It is so freakin' annoying!

Just saw it for the 2nd time today... now a guy from Vanderbilt. This one was even worse than the Princeton player earlier (although that one was stupid and selfish as well), because this kid just dribbled and dribbled until he pulled up from 28 to 30 feet and heaved it - missing, of course. Both guys were thinking the same thing - "look at me as I swish a 3-pointer to win the game for my team. I'm gonna be on SportsCenter!" Instead of getting a much better shot by passing to an open teammate closer to the basket.

You are losing by 1 point. 1 POINT! A lay up or put back or short jump shot wins you the game just as much as these asinine 3-point heaves do... at a much better percentage.

Everyone wants to be a HERO - I hate HERO BALL! Too much watching and wanting to be a highlight on SportsCenter.

I'm sure their coaches are.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My remaining first round upsets are Xavier and URI. Completely wiffed on ETSU but looked decent for a good chunk of the game.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Northwestern just got good and I already hate them.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen a video yet of W. Virginia's Moon taking a Bucknell inbounds pass dead on to the face from about 18" away. Ball bounced off his face like a rocket.

Reaction Score
It kinda looked like he tried. It seems like pretty often people make when they try to miss.

Princeton play was within their offense, they don't have kids than can drive or initiate contact, offense is a backdoor layup or a 3. Again though if the passer saves that last dribble and gets it to his teammate quicker the defense can't recover to contest and the kid would've stepped into it more and likely made it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Princeton play was within their offense, they don't have kids than can drive or initiate contact, offense is a backdoor layup or a 3. Again though if the passer saves that last dribble and gets it to his teammate quicker the defense can't recover to contest and the kid would've stepped into it more and likely made it.

No one was in the high post on that play. Someone should fave flashed to the free throw line.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Mounties pitching a shutout so far. I predict that will not keep up.

Reaction Score
Try talking like an adult (re: derp?) God, are you 12?
This is the internet. God, are you 87?

Did not realize people having differing opinions from your own was so hard for you to deal with. Thank goodness for ignore.
Ignore away, bud

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This Maryland team reminds me of our 2014 team. .. if everyone not named Shabazz was awful.

Reaction Score
This looks like a random afternoon quarterfinal conference tournament game. Right down to the empty stands.

Reaction Score

Everyone wants to be Steph Curry. Curry nails that shot a majority of the time...these two kids...not so much. However, in the Princeton game, that was a good look, and they had nothing better down low.

Dogdeacon,

You do have a point that the passer could have gotten the ball back to the shooter and given him the extra second he needed to step a little more into the shot. But my point stands. When you are trailing by 1 point, a 28-foot 3 point shot with a hand in your face is not, and probably never will be, the best shot at the end of a college game (Travelman, I agree that if it is Steph Curry, it is a much higher percentage shot). And by the way Dogdeacon, the Princeton player had time to give a shot fake, have the Notre Dame player go flying by, dribble in a couple of steps and get off a significantly higher percentage shot. But he wanted to hit the 28 to 30 footer, Steph Curry style. Too much TV

And my point is... how many times do you see this at the end of games now? It happens a lot more often than the drive Jalen Adams made at the end of the Temple game. Oh, and how did that end? With a 3-foot lay up. Contested? Yes. But a much higher percentage shot than either of those two guys took today? Absolutely. Add to that if Jalen had missed his shot, the chance of a rebound and a put back is much better (ok, in the case of our front court this year marginally higher) in that case than on a long 3-pointer where the ball is going to bounce higher, harder and longer, as of course it did in both cases today.

It is a dumb, selfish, very-low percentage play to shoot that long range 3-point shot at the end of a 1 point game. The results time and time again prove that to be true, as it did both times today. And I believe that it is never a called play by a coach (at this level, anyway) but selfishness from the player who does it because he wants to see his face on SportsCenter instead of giving his team a better chance to win.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dogdeacon,

It is a dumb, selfish, very-low percentage play to shoot that long range 3-point shot at the end of a 1 point game. The results time and time again prove that to be true, as it did both times today. And I believe that it is never a called play by a coach (at this level, anyway) but selfishness from the player who does it because he wants to see his face on SportsCenter instead of giving his team a better chance to win.

There would be twice as many upsets every tournament if there was no Hero Ball. The team got to this point by playing within a team system, and then they get to the last 10 minutes of a close game in March and everyone wants to be the star. UNC Wilmington came out of the gate playing Hero Ball, and it definitely cost them the game today.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This Maryland team reminds me of our 2014 team. .. if everyone not named Shabazz was awful.

Maryland is holding a 2-3 zone offense clinic. They have gotten a lot of easy shots against a decent Xavier zone. They are making sharp cuts to the free throw line, which pulls the center up and then another player cuts to the block before the weakside defender can rotate over. I have never been a huge Turgeon fan, but his squad was prepared to play today.

Reaction Score
Big difference in these low vs. high seed games between keeping it close down the stretch and winning the game. The lower seeds tend to panic in the crunch. They make bonehead plays, or the superior teams simply know how to handle the situation and make the plays when it matters, and it helps having bigger or more skilled players & coaching.

Not always obviously, but more often than not.

Reaction Score
Maryland is holding a 2-3 zone offense clinic. They have gotten a lot of easy shots against a decent Xavier zone. They are making sharp cuts to the free throw line, which pulls the center up and then another player cuts to the block before the weakside defender can rotate over. I have never been a huge Turgeon fan, but his squad was prepared to play today.

I agree. They are getting tons of good looks which is a surprise because they are normally not good against the zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom