The Official 2022 Mets Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 Mets Thread

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Two days until the trade deadline, what are we thinking is most likely for the Mets at this point?

I never thought Soto was a real possibility, and it looks like Ohtani is only a slight possibility.

I thought Contreras and Robertson was the big splash that made the most sense right now, but as only rentals for this season they don't warrant the type of return for which the Cubs appear to be holding out. I do think the Cubs will move Contreras, but I don't know if we are going to be the ones to blink there. But this is the one for which I am still most hopeful, if not optimistic.

J.D. Martinez seems like he's being lined up to be the consolation prize if we can't pull off the Cubs deal. I don't know how I feel about giving up Vientos.

And then there is the "if all else fails" suggestion that they reunite with Wilmer Flores, which an interesting stop gap.

If we get Contreras for Vientos straight up, or Vientos plus another smaller prospect, I won't be too upset but I would consider that an overpay. Compare that to last year when we traded another good prospect in Pete Crow-Armstrong for Baez, which I wouldn't have minded if we had World Series aspirations but it was clear that team wasn't going anywhere in October if they even made it (which they didn't). At least we also got Trevor Williams out of that deal, so it's not a complete bust. I would prefer to trade Mauricio for Contreras. If the Cubs are demanding more than Vientos, or they want Vientos AND Mauricio for Contreras, or they ask for Alvarez/Baty/Ramirez, I'm out. Go get another catcher at that point. We're scouting JD Martinez and Christian Vazquez from the Red Sox, I would be happy to trade for one or both of them depending on the price.

We also need relievers, and it sounds like despite what Eppler said last week about the relief market, it's going to take more than we expect to get a good reliever. Robertson may cost a Mauricio or Vientos, which to me isn't worth it. I'd be willing to bet we go more that route we did in 2015, when we got Addison Reed, who wasn't one of the top relievers available but had good peripheral stats along with his mediocre ERA, and he actually had a great end of the season for us. If they are able to prep Peterson for a bullpen role in October, and Megill gets healthy, they could be two really good options for us. Add in a healthy Trevor May and we may not need to get more than one good reliever.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just saw a nice interview with Jake during the pre-game. He seems to be in a good place mentally, even flashing that devilish grin at the end of the interview. I’m trying to restrain my excitement, but man I will be so pumped if he is truly back to anywhere near where he was.

I already told my wife I'm basically going to be unavailable from 5:00 on Tuesday night, between the trade deadline at 6:00 and Jake's start at 7:00.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I already told my wife I'm basically going to be unavailable from 5:00 on Tuesday night, between the trade deadline at 6:00 and Jake's start at 7:00.
Lol. This is the time of year when my wife gets apoplectic about the fact that there is a game on almost every night, which is not conducive to us being able to watch any shows together. When we went up 6-0 yesterday I offered up the rest of the afternoon so we could finish watching "The Bear" on Hulu; I knew that the next two nights are off-limits, so I figured I would get out in front of it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Lol. This is the time of year when my wife gets apoplectic about the fact that there is a game on almost every night, which is not conducive to us being able to watch any shows together. When we went up 6-0 yesterday I offered up the rest of the afternoon so we could finish watching "The Bear" on Hulu; I knew that the next two nights are off-limits, so I figured I would get out in front of it.

Yeah I have to accept that some nights I'm just following along on the MLB app while we have a show on. Some nights we just watch one show and then I can catch from the 6th inning or so on. I try to time it so I watch most of Scherzer's starts (and now I'll have to do that same for deGrom).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Soto and Bell to the Padres appears to be the latest rumor. I never expected to be in on Soto, but that takes Bell off the table for us, too.

But that also means, absent a mystery suitor, we are the last team standing for Contreras, hopefully for a package with Robertson; but at what cost remains the issue. There appears to be little doubt that both will be traded today one way or another.

ETA: apparently the Rays are also interested in Contreras.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Soto and Bell to the Padres is happening. Relievers are getting traded for reasonable prices so we should be able to get one or two good relievers for a decent price. And hopefully Contreras happens.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
First of hopefully a few trades down

Was just texting with my brothers about that. Not quite sure I get this one. A little more pop, but that's about it. I never loved Davis, but this isn't moving the needle.

Losing Robertson to the Phillies hurts, and makes me think we're out on Contreras then, too.

Reaction Score
Was just texting with my brothers about that. Not quite sure I get this one. A little more pop, but that's about it. I never loved Davis, but this isn't moving the needle.

Losing Robertson to the Phillies hurts, and makes me think we're out on Contreras then, too.

Apparently he has much better splits against lefties and pairs better with Vogelbach. The days of JD and Dom never really delivering are over at least.

Reaction Score

Phillies gave up nothing for Robertson so hopefully that means the price on Contreras has come way down.

Ruf has an .886 OPS against lefties, he'll platoon with Vogelbach who has a .916 OPS against righties. For comparison Davis was at .707 against righties and .660 against lefties. Also 2.5 years of control for Ruf. Seemed high when I first saw it but it makes a lot of sense

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Apparently he has much better splits against lefties and pairs better with Vogelbach. The days of JD and Dom never really delivering are over at least.
Yeah, it's an improvement, as is Vogelbach, but it's hardly a splash; which tells me that there is not likely to be any splash. I think we're out on Martinez and Contreras, or any other big bats.

Sure hope we can get some help in the pen still.

Reaction Score
I love the Soto move. Doesn’t matter to me the Padres and Dodgers are stacked. We’d only face one in the Series and they get to potentially face Max, Jake and Diaz.

And the Nats are going to be an automatic win every game for the next few years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Phillies gave up nothing for Robertson
Yeah this is what I don't get. Did we not even more that much?

I know it's my Mets fan paranoia and PTSD acting up, but I get the feeling that screwing the Mets is frequently a top trade consideration.

Reaction Score
Two hours left.

What are the chances they pull off an Ohtani shocker?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Two hours left.

What are the chances they pull off an Ohtani shocker?
time house GIF

Reaction Score
I love the Soto move. Doesn’t matter to me the Padres and Dodgers are stacked. We’d only face one in the Series and they get to potentially face Max, Jake and Diaz.

And the Nats are going to be an automatic win every game for the next few years.
As long as they win the division. The loser of the division between the Mets/Braves is looking at the Padres/Dodgers round 1 with the other team waiting coming off the bye

Reaction Score
Givens is a good depth add as a middle inning guy. Would have liked a lefty option too over Joely Rodriguez but maybe that's Peterson now

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Givens is a good depth add as a middle inning guy. Would have liked a lefty option too over Joely Rodriguez but maybe that's Peterson now
Offense marginally improved but Eppler is going to eat those words about the reliever market because we needed a lefty and didn’t get one.

Oh and the Cubs overplayed their hand with Contreras. Can’t believe they didn’t move him after giving him a send off.

Reaction Score
So let’s step back.

Our minors are LOADED right now. We didn’t overbid or panic. If they have held serve without Jake, now they have him. The run for a ring starts in a few minutes. We’ll see how this hand plays out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So let’s step back.

Our minors are LOADED right now. We didn’t overbid or panic. If they have held serve without Jake, now they have him. The run for a ring starts in a few minutes. We’ll see how this hand plays out.
Our minors are top heavy with a weak middle. We needed a better middle to make better trades because we wouldn’t give up any of the top half dozen prospects. Those guys aren’t going to help us this season.

If Jake is Jake we should be fine, but no way do I trust Peterson as our lefty out of the pen. His hand was shaking when he got popped by the Yankees the other day.

We are still the best team in the NL East but now we better win it because the Padres got a lot better.

Don’t sleep on the Phillies either. They definitely got better today. And Atlanta isn’t going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Our minors are top heavy with a weak middle. We needed a better middle to make better trades because we wouldn’t give up any of the top half dozen prospects. Those guys aren’t going to help us this season.

If Jake is Jake we should be fine, but no way do I trust Peterson as our lefty out of the pen. His hand was shaking when he got popped by the Yankees the other day.

We are still the best team in the NL East but now we better win it because the Padres got a lot better.

Don’t sleep on the Phillies either. They definitely got better today. And Atlanta isn’t going anywhere.
Strong disagree on the first paragraph. Vientos is ready to help right now, although he probably stays down barring an injury with the Ruf addition. And the Mets already said Alvarez would likely come up if they didn't trade for a catcher

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Strong disagree on the first paragraph. Vientos is ready to help right now, although he probably stays down barring an injury with the Ruf addition. And the Mets already said Alvarez would likely come up if they didn't trade for a catcher
By all accounts, Alvarez is just not ready yet. And I don’t know where they would put Vientos now

Reaction Score
Or maybe not. Regardless, think it was the right choice to keep these guys

Reaction Score
By all accounts, Alvarez is just not ready yet. And I don’t know where they would put Vientos now
He's really only a DH so it would be in case of an injury. Just saying that he's definitely ready to help if it comes to it

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Or maybe not. Regardless, think it was the right choice to keep these guys

Oh I’m not questioning the decision to keep them. I’m just saying our farm system is lacking in the middle and that’s what it looks like we needed more of to pull off better or more trades than where we ended up.

The only trades that would have warranted the top half dozen of our guys were Soto or Ohtani and I never thought we were serious suitors for either. Renting Contreras was definitely not worth giving up one of them. Maybe renting both him and Peterson might have been, but I’m not second guessing that. I thought someone was getting Contreras and I’m shocked they kept him.

I really just wanted a lefty reliever and am surprised that Eppler got burned there because he definitely wanted one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom