The Official 2022 Mets Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 Mets Thread

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that?

There is buzz they drafted a catcher to move Alvarez for Soto. I think the Nats would be crazy do for that in the division.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On another note from last night, I love Pete, but his interview after the first round of the HR Derby was super awkward when he started talking about his wife's and his new charity. I'm sure he's a genuinely good and charitable guy as all reports and appearances indicate, but when he was like "I'm just happy to give back to families and animals and shelters and stuff" it was a bit like Mongo.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is buzz they drafted a catcher to move Alvarez for Soto. I think the Nats would be crazy do for that in the division.
Yeah I saw that buzz, too; but again I agree that the Nats won't trade him in the division.

But I do think they would like to have the bargaining chip for whatever may be available.

Reaction Score
On another note from last night, I love Pete, but his interview after the first round of the HR Derby was super awkward when he started talking about his wife's and his new charity. I'm sure he's a genuinely good and charitable guy as all reports and appearances indicate, but when he was like "I'm just happy to give back to families and animals and shelters and stuff" it was a bit like Mongo.

Awkward? Like this?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Awkward? Like this?

Yeah, I always chuckle at his commercials, but at least they are scripted. The scripts are cringe-worthy, but I realized last night that they are better than having him wing it.

The important thing is that his heart is in the right place.

Well, that and he's a hitting savant.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Doesn't seem like terrible news but still a scary headline

Good Lord. “Mild muscle soreness” around his shoulder?!? I’d think that’s an everyday sensation for a pitcher.

Which brings me back to Darling’s comments about him throughout last season: pitchers have to learn the difference between “sore” and “hurt,” because you have to learn to play through soreness.

I’m starting to think he’s less of a China doll and more princess and the pea.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Awkward? Like this?

Those commercials are so bad. You can see him looking over the other actor's head to read off the cue card on pretty much every one of his lines.

Reaction Score
Good Lord. “Mild muscle soreness” around his shoulder?!? I’d think that’s an everyday sensation for a pitcher.

Which brings me back to Darling’s comments about him throughout last season: pitchers have to learn the difference between “sore” and “hurt,” because you have to learn to play through soreness.

I’m starting to think he’s less of a China doll and more princess and the pea.
I'd put him in a package to the Nats for Soto in a heartbeat. I don't think he'll ever pitch a half a season again.

Part of me also worries this is what happened to Megill. He said that ever since he got that extra velocity, things just started to feel off with his health. deGrom flew to close to the sun and the wax on his wings melted.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd put him in a package to the Nats for Soto in a heartbeat. I don't think he'll ever pitch a half a season again.
His durability is definitely an open question in my mind, as is whether he can learn to pitch as effectively with slightly less velocity. I am certain that he cannot return to the 100+ velocity frequency he was hitting early last season and stay healthy, because I don't think the human body was built to do that that often.

The problem with your Soto scenario is that deGrom is a free agent after this season; whereas Soto is under team control for two more seasons. Even if deGrom could contribute meaningfully this season, the Nats aren't going anywhere. But if we don't re-sign him, Uncle $teve is going to need to make an acquisition on that level to quell the potential backlash.

Reaction Score
Let me restate my point.

I'm not concerned at all with trading him to a division rival in the right deal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Let me restate my point.

I'm not concerned at all with trading him to a division rival in the right deal.
I get the sentiment and don't necessarily disagree at this point; but my point is that I don't think we'll ever be in position to trade him, period.

No chance it will happen this season and he is a free agent after that. Either we will sign him or another team will, but the time for us to get anything in return for him has passed. We are not going to sign him and trade him.

One way or another though, I think we will be shelling out another top-of-market contract between now and next season. And I have no problem with that. As I have said before, if it were my money, I would be very concerned about giving deGrom a record-breaking deal. I would be much more comfortable going all-in for Soto, but I don't think we will get that chance. The Nats would be crazy to allow that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice Vogelbach pickup. Hopefully an upgrade over Dom. Still need a little more offense imo.

And obviously some RP. Maybe a SP. Maybe Corbin, hehe..

Reaction Score
Vogelbach is a big improvement to the DH position, and can now safely move Dom for bullpen help. Still expect to see them target Mancini or Bell as a big bat before the deadline

Reaction Score
Bell would be a huge move, he's turned into a hell of a player. I'd give up Baty for him - depending on how long Bell would be under contract.. Another SP for insurance wouldn't hurt, love the depth we have had but you can never have enough.

Kinda hate giving up Holderman for Vogelbach but you gotta give to get. Pen continues to improve though.

Reaction Score
Bell would be a huge move, he's turned into a hell of a player. I'd give up Baty for him - depending on how long Bell would be under contract.. Another SP for insurance wouldn't hurt, love the depth we have had but you can never have enough.

Kinda hate giving up Holderman for Vogelbach but you gotta give to get. Pen continues to improve though.
Bell is under contract for 2 more months, so the cost will likely be much lower than Baty

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
So we picked up a catcher from the Bucs. Michael Perez, who is another Mendoza line auto out. Insurance for Nido, who made the last out last night.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So we picked up a catcher from the Bucs. Michael Perez, who is another Mendoza line auto out. Insurance for Nido, who made the last out last night.
I suspect--and hope--that we are just getting started with trade deadline acquisitions. Despite what Buck says about being content with the guys he's got, they know they need more offense if they're going to hold off the Braves and advance in the playoffs.

Definitely need to bolster the pen too.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds if/when they yield first place to the Braves, which I expect to happen at some point. We play them eight times in the first half of August and the results of those series should be very telling.

Reaction Score
Between Vogelbach and Jankowski, the mojo for late inning heroics is strong.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't know if anyone else noticed, but the guy who caught Marte's home run is wearing a "I still hate Laettner" t-shirt
I was cooking dinner and the kitchen TV was too far away for me to see that closely, so thanks for that detail!

Reaction Score
Anyone else think Sugar deliberately flubbed that double play ball so he could strike out every batter he faced last night?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom