The Maryland Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Maryland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the fact that this thread was started tells me you Husky fans are a wee bit nervous about this game :cool:. Oh yeah the TERPS win :D
Even if we are nervous about the game, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is if our players are nervous, and from my observation, usually seems to be the opposition that is the most shook up. Now, how will the Terrapins be feeling with their undefeated record on the line?

Reaction Score
Starting Natalie would make no sense. Let Williams, our uber-athlete, do her thing and see how it works. Bring in Natalie to give players a rest or if Williams gets into foul trouble. I just don't see Geno changing his plan when he didn't change it for teams that, on paper at least, outrank MD. This is not to say that MD will not be tough. I have a lot more confidence in UConn's ability to win this game now than two weeks ago. The team seems grittier tham I would have given them credit for, and they seem to know how to look for ways to win.

Reaction Score
I echo the others: we don't change our starting lineup.

But, with regards to the Holy Grail, I think I would trade a national championship this year for an undefeated season through the round of eight. Having a win streak over 100 would be pretty special.
National Championship or Bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
It would be nice to have a Jungle Jim Bruiser, but we don't. Ours is a finesse team and if we don't foul out or become injured, I trust Geno's strategies over Brenda's. We and they have had a lot of time to worry about this one, first as just ONE of the highly ranked, deep teams that were supposed to challenge the depleted UCONN squad. Now, it's down to two, stacked, ranked teams. If Brenda's Terps can run for 40 minutes and play four cling-on, defensive quarters and keep a well-planned attack strategy, sure, they could win. But I'm sticking with the brain trust from Storrs. If we lose to a better team on a given December night, so be it. As long as our guys keep their confidence and that chip on their competitive shoulders, I like our chances at crunch time.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Your comments relative to Brionna Jones make sense when Jones is on offense but as you point out, Nat is not going to score a lot. For that reason, Jones will not have to work very hard on the defensive end. She can help out when Pheesa or Gabby get the ball in the lane.

By making Jones guard Pheesa or Gabby, you open up the lane and cause Jones to work very hard on both ends of the court. She is a big girl, and she's not going to play all-out for 35 minutes plus against the type of motion offense and switching defense that the Huskies force you to play against.
Your last paragraph hits it! You RUN a big girl, until she can run no more....fast breaks, and pressure defense!

Reaction Score
In every team sport, there exists only one, true Holy Grail, and that, of course, is each season’s National Championship. Consecutive game win streaks are nice, and almost unbelievable insofar as the lofty numbers UConn repeatedly establishes are concerned. Likewise for undefeated regular seasons, however beyond all reasonable preseason expectations it is that such an accomplishment now seems within possible reach of our favorite team in this of all years. Still, at the “end of the day,” only one goal carries ultimate meaning.

Put in that context, and given the fact that The Huskies have already proved themselves to be a worthy Final Four candidate for this season, the upcoming game against The Terps is not freighted with all that much meaning, unless UConn gets blown out, which just ain’t gonna happen. Nevertheless, all of us are looking forward to it quite eagerly, for obvious reasons. In my opinion, this game challenges Geno with the single toughest matchup conundrum of the season to date: how, given lack of dominant size, and given the relative shortness of the bench, to defense Brionna Jones, the one player who really gave them fits last year.

Gabby Williams, I think we all would agree, must stay out of serious foul trouble. Do my fellow posters think that on that basis Geno starts Natalie in this game, letting her play Jones as physically as possible, even at the potential cost of fouling out herself? I, obviously, am not Geno, but I think I would. What would you do?

You are correct--the Huskies have proven they are for real and maybe FF candidates.
Here is my question to you---if Uconn gets "blown out" (a 20 point loss or more)--at this point in the season ---they MAY drop in the polls a spot or two--if they whiz thru the AAC and hopefully take USC in February (or not) it then depends upon everyone else's W/L for seating in the NCAA's --UC- will have a points for all the top 10 teams they played and beat (ok assuming mostly)--they should be seeded well. I'd appreciate you or anyone else tearing this apart!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Start Natalie against Maryland?

No..... Nat took a step backwards against Nebraska. I hope it was just a bad game. Offensively, she has some work to improve footwork, passing, decision making.

Last year Jones tired quickly as the game wore on. Nat's value is defensively, if Nat can make Jones work hard she will give the team some valuable minutes.

Personally, I think it is Shatori-Walker and Slocum who will give the team fits.

Geno I thought gave Natalie lots of time in the Huskers game in prep for the MD game. She is slow footed, isn't quick, her assets are : She is 6 ft 5--can't teach that--ordinarily (not Huskers) she shoots well, rebounds well, is a good teammate, she takes up a lot of room. Is she tough enough to take on Jones?? Time will tell. No she won't start the MD game--Geno can waste 5 fouls of Butlers in guarding Jones
while allowing Napheesa or Gabby free from guarding her and getting into foul trouble.
If Walker doesn't give the team fits--she sure does me. When she is going it looks like she can't be stopped.

At this point in Natalies career--1 year at GT, 2 years plus under Geno--she is what she is and will be offensively or defensively--Christine has spent a lot of the 2 plus years teaching Natalie--you see the results.

Reaction Score
I like to watch games first as a fan - then on replay watch only 1 or 2 players and give them the " eye test". Granted when I do this I have on my Uconn rose colored glasses that I ordered special from the online Uconn store - but still - here is my take. In their victories so far Uconn has had the superior team - luck was not involved. Looking ahead there are some strong teams out there - but so what. We are better than they are right now - come tournament time we will be a juggernaut . Make no mistake - "our girls" are on a mission to prove they are great players in their own right and they will prove this by winning the NC

Reaction Score
I echo the others: we don't change our starting lineup.

But, with regards to the Holy Grail, I think I would trade a national championship this year for an undefeated season through the round of eight. Having a win streak over 100 would be pretty special.
Mmmmmmm a 100 game winning streak or 5 straight championships with more to come. No brainer

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mmmmmmm a 100 game winning streak or 5 straight championships with more to come. No brainer
I know that this sentiment will appear to be in conflict with the Christmas spirit, but why can't we have it all? If the winning streak continues for another 5-6 years, the championships are a given.

Feliz Navidad :)

Reaction Score
For the fact that this thread was started tells me you Husky fans are a wee bit nervous about this game :cool:. Oh yeah the TERPS win :D
We also started a thread on the Nebraska game, and I can assure you no one here was any bit nervous about playing a 4-8 team. Usually we start threads on upcoming games to discuss whether we're going to win by 20 or 40 :D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We play defense for 40 minutes. MD doesnt. We are very disciplined and execute offense. MD doesnt. Barring injuries, sickness, and foul trouble UConn will beat MD by double digits. Jones and Kimbrough are not going to take over the game and they arent going to stop UConn from executing. ND and Baylor are really good and they didnt stop UConn. MD is very talented and has not played a tuff schedule. IMO they didnt play a tuff schedule because they werent confident they could beat a bunch of top teams. With that said the only question for me is. looking forward, is the SC game.

Reaction Score
We play defense for 40 minutes. MD doesnt. We are very disciplined and execute offense. MD doesnt. Barring injuries, sickness, and foul trouble UConn will beat MD by double digits. Jones and Kimbrough are not going to take over the game and they arent going to stop UConn from executing. ND and Baylor are really good and they didnt stop UConn. MD is very talented and has not played a tuff schedule. IMO they didnt play a tuff schedule because they werent confident they could beat a bunch of top teams. With that said the only question for me is. looking forward, is the SC game.
So Maryland lost by 10 points on a neutral court with UConn having Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson. UConn has no depth, playing on Maryland's home court yet they will win by double digits. Interesting.

BTW, Maryland beat ASU in Las Vegas. Not on their home court.

Reaction Score
I believe Geno is right and it is time for a good "a## kicking" and Maryland will be on the receiving end. UCONN is going to run them early and often. After this week long rest Geno will let the horses run. Transition, transition, transition them until they don't even know which way to run on the court. I hope UCONN pounds them good and am looking forward to Brenda's presser. "Well, we had a game plan but didn't follow it that well." "We made a lot of mistakes out there tonight and will use this as a learning experience." Geno's presser "Well, that was fun. Crystal got two steals tonight... a new personal best."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So Maryland lost by 10 points on a neutral court with UConn having Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson. UConn has no depth, playing on Maryland's home court yet they will win by double digits. Interesting.

TW, I like your spirit venturing into hostile territory to take on the Husky faithful. Last year's UConn team clearly had more size, experience, depth & talent than this year's team, but this team has an ability to impose their will on a game that is pretty special, even for a UConn team.

Best of luck on the 29th. It will take everything the Terps have & then some to come away with a victory.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Gotta agree with you about last years game. This is this year and both teams have changed. MD has alot of talent and will be tuff but UConn plays unbelievable defense and I dont see MD winning. Hey MD should be a FF team with their talent. They are very talented I just dont see them beating UConn. Should be a good game.

Reaction Score
Gotta agree with you about last years game. This is this year and both teams have changed. MD has alot of talent and will be tuff but UConn plays unbelievable defense and I dont see MD winning. Hey MD should be a FF team with their talent. They are very talented I just dont see them beating UConn. Should be a good game.
Maybe this is being a bit of a contrarian, but not happy playing Maryland, particularly at this point in season. For anyone who watched Neb, UConn is at the top of their game. Steps quicker than most teams, better shape, getting near 100% from its offense and defense. Just like Baylor, ND, Texas, etc. found out, their goals to win are likely higher than they know. Would rather they come into NCAA's cocky and overconfident. Doesn't matter who wins-better to keep underestimating UConn.

Reaction Score
Massey has UConn winning 80-66 with an 89% probability of winning..........I was at the game last year at MSG.......only game all season that I thought UConn could loose while it was going on...........haven't seen the Terps play this year so I can't say if they are a stronger team or not............Coach Brenda will certainly have them up for this game, especially at home.............gonna be a tough one.......

Reaction Score
With all things being equal no coach prepares to take away the opponent's strengths like Geno does!
Now that Saniya Chong is back our guards are at full strength and no team comes close to UCONN's defensive pressure for the full 40 minutes!
MD has to "run with the Huskies" for that full 40 minutes also and no team in Div. I is in better physical shape than UCONN!
IMO UCONN frustrates Brenda Frese once again, this time, 82-69!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One has to wonder why Brenda did not schedule Winthrop. An oversight, I'm guessin'.
I like to watch games first as a fan - then on replay watch only 1 or 2 players and give them the " eye test". Granted when I do this I have on my Uconn rose colored glasses that I ordered special from the online Uconn store - but still - here is my take. In their victories so far Uconn has had the superior team - luck was not involved. Looking ahead there are some strong teams out there - but so what. We are better than they are right now - come tournament time we will be a juggernaut . Make no mistake - "our girls" are on a mission to prove they are great players in their own right and they will prove this by winning the NC

I certainly like your outlook, perception and enthusiasm. I agree that it's easier to swim in the ocean with ALL the fish when that's all you know (as opposed to starting out in a pool, and then try an make that transition).

I understand why coaches like to pad their OOC schedules with soft teams. Teams that they know going in, are a guaranteed W. I can't see how those games help them to prepare for league play when they play a team that is their equal, or one that is superior. How do you flip that switch? :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Most teams in WCBB begin their season with "the thought" of winning a NC. Most know that they have no realistic chance of doing so, but they begin with that mindset. Who starts out with the idea or goal of creating or extending a winning streak? Glenn is on that Island by himself. In the minds of most sports fans, NOTHING supercedes winning a CHAMPIONSHIP.

Reaction Score
As of this moment, I think UConn can win this game, but t'aint necessarily so. As others have pointed out, MD is a very good, if relatively untested team. If UConn comes in flat (which can happen after time away from the game) or (a more likely scenario) someone gets into foul trouble., this could be a struggle leading to a loss. It does not take much for the magic chemistry of this team to be upset. Just look at what happened during games when Napheesa and/or Gabby got into foul trouble, Crystal is fun to watch, but she cannot replace those players by herself. Butler puts in good minutes, but represents a falloff in offensive firepower if one of those two has to come out. In other words, this game is anything but a bgreeze.

Reaction Score
Most teams in WCBB begin their season with "the thought" of winning a NC. Most know that they have no realistic chance of doing so, but they begin with that mindset. Who starts out with the idea or goal of creating or extending a winning streak? Glenn is on that Island by himself. In the minds of most sports fans, NOTHING supercedes winning a CHAMPIONSHIP.
Could not agree more (obviously). I don't think they hang banners from the rafters of arenas for consecutive win streaks.

I started this thread in the hope of getting some discussion going over the break, and I'm glad that effort proved successful. Although I still think that The Master should consider sitting Saniya and going with a bigger lineup at least to start the MD game, most obviously do not share that view, which is perfectly cool with me. This is what discussion boards are all about. Lots of thoughtful posts here.

Mostly, I return here to wish all the warmest of holiday greetings and to share my hope that we all return from family gatherings safe and sound. Most of all, avoid political discussions!

Carnac

Reaction Score

TerpWomenFan, please allow me to add my two cents here, and explain our mindset going into this game. I don't expect or ask you to agree with it, just try to understand our thinking here.

What happened last year has nothing to do with next week. THIS UConn team is playing THIS year's Maryland team. In our minds, the score, who played, who left from last year's team/game is not relevant here. We both lost some key players. The "short bench" you referenced is also not in question. We've had that short bench all season, and have incorporated it into each game plan. Our short bench didn't just pop up last week. It won't be an issue.

We've played road games against teams that we feel are as good, maybe better than Maryland. If we were successful against all of them, why wouldn't we feel confident about going into College Park with our A+ game, and coming out with a win?

I apologize for what I'm about to say, because it can't be asked without sounding as though I'm bragging, but I'll try. What is Maryland going to do against UConn that hasn't already been done by other HIGHER ranked teams that have more height?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Could not agree more (obviously). I don't think they hang banners from the rafters of arenas for consecutive win streaks.

I started this thread in the hope of getting some discussion going over the break, and I'm glad that effort proved successful. Although I still think that The Master should consider sitting Saniya and going with a bigger lineup at least to start the MD game, most obviously do not share that view, which is perfectly cool with me. This is what discussion boards are all about. Lots of thoughtful posts here.

Mostly, I return here to wish all the warmest of holiday greetings and to share my hope that we all return from family gatherings safe and sound. Most of all, avoid political discussions!

Thanks BP, the same to you and yours. I think I'm going to take a break from the yard to do some last minute holiday shopping which is always fun. Anyone can shop early and avoid the crowds, that's easy. I like the challenge of seeing how late I can start, jumping in right in the middle of the hundreds of other shoppers, and still get all of my shopping done. WalMart here I come.

It's time to really enjoy the family/friends and the Christmas season. This is MY favorite time of the year. I love playing Santa to the grands. After I'm gone, I hope these are times they'll always remember.

I'll return on the other side of the Maryland game to catch up on everyone's takes and comments after the game. Win or lose, I'm sure there will be lots of observations and opinions here to catch up on.

Happy holidays everyone. I hope Santa brings each of you exactly what you want. Don't forget the reason for the season. Enjoy your family and friends during this most wonderful time of the year.
Be a blessing to someone. Carnac out. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22