The Maryland Game | The Boneyard

The Maryland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In every team sport, there exists only one, true Holy Grail, and that, of course, is each season’s National Championship. Consecutive game win streaks are nice, and almost unbelievable insofar as the lofty numbers UConn repeatedly establishes are concerned. Likewise for undefeated regular seasons, however beyond all reasonable preseason expectations it is that such an accomplishment now seems within possible reach of our favorite team in this of all years. Still, at the “end of the day,” only one goal carries ultimate meaning.

Put in that context, and given the fact that The Huskies have already proved themselves to be a worthy Final Four candidate for this season, the upcoming game against The Terps is not freighted with all that much meaning, unless UConn gets blown out, which just ain’t gonna happen. Nevertheless, all of us are looking forward to it quite eagerly, for obvious reasons. In my opinion, this game challenges Geno with the single toughest matchup conundrum of the season to date: how, given lack of dominant size, and given the relative shortness of the bench, to defense Brionna Jones, the one player who really gave them fits last year.

Gabby Williams, I think we all would agree, must stay out of serious foul trouble. Do my fellow posters think that on that basis Geno starts Natalie in this game, letting her play Jones as physically as possible, even at the potential cost of fouling out herself? I, obviously, am not Geno, but I think I would. What would you do?

Reaction Score
In every team sport, there exists only one, true Holy Grail, and that, of course, is each season’s National Championship. Consecutive game win streaks are nice, and almost unbelievable insofar as the lofty numbers UConn repeatedly establishes are concerned. Likewise for undefeated regular seasons, however beyond all reasonable preseason expectations it is that such an accomplishment now seems within possible reach of our favorite team in this of all years. Still, at the “end of the day,” only one goal carries ultimate meaning.

Put in that context, and given the fact that The Huskies have already proved themselves to be a worthy Final Four candidate for this season, the upcoming game against The Terps is not freighted with all that much meaning, unless UConn gets blown out, which just ain’t gonna happen. Nevertheless, all of us are looking forward to it quite eagerly, for obvious reasons. In my opinion, this game challenges Geno with the single toughest matchup conundrum of the season to date: how, given lack of dominant size, and given the relative shortness of the bench, to defense Brionna Jones, the one player who really gave them fits last year.

Gabby Williams, I think we all would agree, must stay out of serious foul trouble. Do my fellow posters think that on that basis Geno starts Natalie in this game, letting her play Jones as physically as possible, even at the potential cost of fouling out herself? I, obviously, am not Geno, but I think I would. What would you do?
No way Gabby doesn't start. He'll pull her quickly for Nat if she fouls early, but you can't sit a proven starter based on your own lack of trust or some indeterminate consternation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nat has improved this year and she will play against MD, but there is no way that she will start.

As for MD, I am just not sold yet. They have experience, size & depth, all the things the Huskies don't have. They have 2 quality wins vs ASU & Louisville and a bunch of blowouts against the biggest collection of cupcakes since the school bake sale. They'll face the Huskies at home in front of a large, supportive crowd.

I just don't know if Brenda can outcoach Geno. I see this game playing out like ND or Baylor, close for a while with UConn pulling away in the end.

Reaction Score
I watched Maryland's last two games against Loyola and Duquesne. MD had some good moments, but the team didn't dominate these mid-majors the way I expected them to. In last night's game, for example, Jones and Walker-Kimbrough had to play over 30 minutes to maintain a 20 pt. margin of victory (Duquesne cut MD's lead to 10 points in the 4th quarter before Frese put the starters back in and the Terps pulled away).

Jones is great, but she sometimes gets into foul trouble. SWK plays fearlessly, but she's turnover-prone. MD starts two freshmen and they play with lots of energy (and a couple of other freshmen are getting decent minutes off the bench), but they make noticeable mistakes.

I'm hoping for a fun, competitive game, but I don't know that it'll even be as close as last year's game (when MD had a stronger bench of more experienced seniors like Moseley, Pfirman, Howard).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm another who is not sold on MD yet. They have a soft OCC schedule and that could play a major factor late in the game. Reference the ND game.

We have played some against some good bigs, Baylor, Texas and ND. Look at the final result. Our defense knows how to play against a bigger front line - front the post, double team down low and deny the entry pass. Our defense is quicker than most and they understnd the dynamics of post defense and offense.

The key, as it is most of the time is guard play. With Sinaya back and Kia and Crystal Dangerfield, MD's guards are going to have to cope and adjust to some serious pressure. Rattle their guards and their offense will sputter.

Finally, no team has been able to stop our offense. We have too many weapons, too many scoring options for a special defenses like a box-on-one. MD has to playy straight up defense or risk being torched.

UConn wins it with a run late in the 3rd into the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
I echo the others: we don't change our starting lineup.

But, with regards to the Holy Grail, I think I would trade a national championship this year for an undefeated season through the round of eight. Having a win streak over 100 would be pretty special.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

But, with regards to the Holy Grail, I think I would trade a national championship this year for an undefeated season through the round of eight. Having a win streak over 100 would be pretty special.
upload_2016-12-22_8-27-52.png

Reaction Score
No way Gabby doesn't start. He'll pull her quickly for Nat if she fouls early, but you can't sit a proven starter based on your own lack of trust or some indeterminate consternation.
Well, I didn't suggest that Natalie start instead of Gabby...was thinking more of just going with a bigger lineup early on and start her instead of Saniya.

Reaction Score
Well, I didn't suggest that Natalie start instead of Gabby...was thinking more of just going with a bigger lineup early on and start her instead of Saniya.
Seemed obvious that's what you meant.

Reaction Score
Brionna Jones is big, strong and tough like Stacy Stephens and probably causes as much mayhem if not more.
We could not match up with Stephens yet somehow managed to win that NC semifinal.
The questions I have are:
1. Does Jones have a better supporting cast?
2. Is Frese a better coach than Conrad?
If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then we are in bigger trouble.

Reaction Score

No.

Let's see if Jones can guard UCONN's quickness of Collier/Gabby.

Frankly, I wonder if MD and SC and others might try to employ a triangle-and-two on UCONN. Though that brings its own risks. Especially if the opposing coach thinks their team is better anyways.

In regards to MD- I have to ask why would anyone support so easily willing to give up on our team? Nobody has beaten our lineup. Why not see if they can defend us too?

Reaction Score
The key for Maryland is can they perform on at a high level for an entire game? That was their weakness last year and their challenge this year as they get into the meat of their conference schedule. So far, no other team has been able to do that against the Huskies. Will Maryland be the first?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

You would give a NC for a mid-season Non-conference win that would/could give us a new undefeated streak record, which we already own?

128.png

Reaction Score
Let me preface the comments below with the certainty that Coach will start his regular 5 against MD:
Start Natalie Butler against Maryland on the 29th.

Why? For several reasons, the biggest (literally) of which is Brionna Jones. She is a monolith coupled with a degree of athleticism who gave UConn fits last year and is having a banner season so far this year. Huskies simply bounced off her the last time these teams played (including Bre). Butler is our only big body, the only player who can bump with Jones under the hoop. Moreover, Nat can eat some of the fouls that might accrue to Napheesa should she try to guard Brionna. We can't afford to lose Collier for any length of time. Her sojourn on the bench against OSU enabled that opponent to catch up with UConn.

Additionally, though Nat isn't going to score a lot, neither is Saniya or Crystal. Lou and Kia can bring the ball up, and Napheesa and Gabby can play the wings with Butler in the middle. So, IMO, nothing is lost in starting Nat; much might be gained in slowing down Jones and keeping Collier out of foul trouble. (Project the same idea to SC.)

OT Bonus question: Jen Rizzotti is coaching at GWU at the moment, but she and her family have kept their domicile in CT. Is it possible/likely that after Megan Walker wins her 4th NC ring Geno leaves on a high note, and Jen comes home with a few years of Division I under her belt to take over?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maryland is still an unknown. The pieces are there but how they will do being challenged for 40 minutes isn't clear.
UMass Lowell 6/5 - XFINITY Center 1:00 p.m. W, 100-44
Maryland Eastern Shore 6/5 - XFINITY Center 6:30 p.m. W, 106-61
Mount St. Mary's - MD 6/5 - XFINITY Center 11:00 a.m. W, 106-42
Niagara 6/5 - at Niagara Univ., N.Y. 12:00 p.m. W, 96-64
Arizona State 6/5 23/21 Las Vegas, Nev. 4:00 p.m. W, 83-42
Washington State 6/5 - Las Vegas, Nev. 6:30 p.m. W, 79-69
Louisville 5/5 7/7 at Louisville, Ky. 7:00 p.m. W, 78-72
UMBC 5/5 - XFINITY Center 2:00 p.m. W, 92-42
Towson 4/4 - XFINITY Center 7:00 p.m. W, 97-63 BTN
Saint Peter's 4/4 - XFINITY Center 6:30 p.m. W, 101-49
Loyola (Md.) 4/4 - at Baltimore, Md. 7:00 p.m. W, 79-60
Duquesne 4/3 - at Pittsburgh, Pa. 7:00 p.m. W, 77-57

Last edited:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Anyone here old enough to remember "Jungle Jim" Loscutoff...and the strategy Auerbach employed to use him?

I do remember that he played for the Celtics.... And how times have changed; he was a power forward at 6'-5".

Reaction Score
I agree with others. Geno will not change his starting lineup due to matchups. Natalie will come in if someone gets in foul trouble or not until Geno intended to put her in. He knows we have a size disadvantage in almost every game and needs to see what his starters can do. Mostly, we will run up and down the court, try to wear their payers out and when Jones is tired, put Natalie in to give her a hard time physically.

Reaction Score

100 consecutive wins would be special, as would be a 10th consecutive Final Four. This would also be a streak that would belong to the program more than any individual player; Diana played throughout the 70 game streak and Maya started each game of the 90 game streak.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let me preface the comments below with the certainty that Coach will start his regular 5 against MD:
Start Natalie Butler against Maryland on the 29th.

Why? For several reasons, the biggest (literally) of which is Brionna Jones. She is a monolith coupled with a degree of athleticism who gave UConn fits last year and is having a banner season so far this year. Huskies simply bounced off her the last time these teams played (including Bre). Butler is our only big body, the only player who can bump with Jones under the hoop. Moreover, Nat can eat some of the fouls that might accrue to Napheesa should she try to guard Brionna. We can't afford to lose Collier for any length of time. Her sojourn on the bench against OSU enabled that opponent to catch up with UConn.

Additionally, though Nat isn't going to score a lot, neither is Saniya or Crystal. Lou and Kia can bring the ball up, and Napheesa and Gabby can play the wings with Butler in the middle. So, IMO, nothing is lost in starting Nat; much might be gained in slowing down Jones and keeping Collier out of foul trouble. (Project the same idea to SC.)

OT Bonus question: Jen Rizzotti is coaching at GWU at the moment, but she and her family have kept their domicile in CT. Is it possible/likely that after Megan Walker wins her 4th NC ring Geno leaves on a high note, and Jen comes home with a few years of Division I under her belt to take over?
Your comments relative to Brionna Jones make sense when Jones is on offense but as you point out, Nat is not going to score a lot. For that reason, Jones will not have to work very hard on the defensive end. She can help out when Pheesa or Gabby get the ball in the lane.

By making Jones guard Pheesa or Gabby, you open up the lane and cause Jones to work very hard on both ends of the court. She is a big girl, and she's not going to play all-out for 35 minutes plus against the type of motion offense and switching defense that the Huskies force you to play against.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nope - not happening. Geno doesn't switch up line-ups for specific teams. He prefers his 'best' lineup and see if the other team has to blink by adjusting to compensate for Uconn's strengths before he changes up his own strategy. Definitely think Butler is going to be important in this game, but she isn't going to start.

And as for the game itself - never want uconn to lose and I agree that given the first 11 games, game 12 does not carry the significance it might have had the first 11 included a loss, but ... I just cannot stomach a loss to Brenda. Much rather give that honor to some other coach than her. :eek::)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
100 consecutive wins would be special, as would be a 10th consecutive Final Four. This would also be a streak that would belong to the program more than any individual player; Diana played throughout the 70 game streak and Maya started each game of the 90 game streak.

The only constant through all the streaks (90, 85, 70, etc.), all the undefeated seasons (6), and all the NC's (11) has been the Geno-CD combo. All others were merely visitors, often for 4 seasons.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom