The Maryland Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Maryland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Anyone here old enough to remember "Jungle Jim" Loscutoff...and the strategy Auerbach employed to use him?

As I recall, his enforcer moments involved the colors red and black & blue. But we don't have Bam Bam on this year's team.

Reaction Score
Start Natalie against Maryland?

No..... Nat took a step backwards against Nebraska. I hope it was just a bad game. Offensively, she has some work to improve footwork, passing, decision making.

Last year Jones tired quickly as the game wore on. Nat's value is defensively, if Nat can make Jones work hard she will give the team some valuable minutes.

Personally, I think it is Shatori-Walker and Slocum who will give the team fits.

Reaction Score
Looking at the box score for Maryland vs. Louisville: Louisville easily outscored Maryland from the floor (66-55!), but it was the exact opposite from the foul line (23-6), despite the fact the the teams had comparable numbers of fouls (MD = 19; L'vl = 20). I think that means that L'ville committed a lot of shooting fouls, giving the game away at the free throw line. The same pattern holds for their game vs. Washington St. ( Those two wins were Maryland's closest games and against the best talent they have thus far faced.) The biggest beneficiaries of L'ville's fouling were Jones and Walker-Kimbrough, with Slocum not far behind.

So whatever else UConn has to do to beat MD, it's crucial that they not foul, especially the shooters, who clearly know how to draw fouls. I'm sure the UConn coaching staff is reviewing the MD games and will notice that MD won both these games at the free throw line.

Reaction Score
I do remember that he played for the Celtics.... And how times have changed; he was a power forward at 6'-5".
Right you are! To put it charitably, Jim was not what one would call a "finesse" player, and wasn't within hailing distance, in terms of overall talent, of most of his teammates. But he loved to bang bodies in the paint. Red often started him in tough matchups with big opponents, having him frustrate and wear down such opponents, and, yes, all the while absorbing fouls that Red feared would otherwise accrue to his more talented players. His role thus accomplished, Jim would frequently then retire to the bench and watch his more talented teammates run roughshod over the now depleted competition. I dunno, Red liked the strategy!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Right you are! To put it charitably, Jim was not what one would call a "finesse" player, and wasn't within hailing distance, in terms of overall talent, of most of his teammates. But he loved to bang bodies in the paint. Red often started him in tough matchups with big opponents, having him frustrate and wear down such opponents, and, yes, all the while absorbing fouls that Red feared would otherwise accrue to his more talented players. His role thus accomplished, Jim would frequently then retire to the bench and watch his more talented teammates run roughshod over the now depleted competition. I dunno, Red liked the strategy!

His number was retired. Tommy Heinsohn once recalled that Red NEVER criticized Russ or Cooz, knowing they were totally driven, committed, motivated. So he used Tommy and "Loscy" as his whipping boys. And everyone knew it!;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nat has improved this year and she will play against MD, but there is no way that she will start.

As for MD, I am just not sold yet. They have experience, size & depth, all the things the Huskies don't have. They have 2 quality wins vs ASU & Louisville and a bunch of blowouts against the biggest collection of cupcakes since the school bake sale. They'll face the Huskies at home in front of a large, supportive crowd.

I just don't know if Brenda can outcoach Geno. I see this game playing out like ND or Baylor, close for a while with UConn pulling away in the end.
That line "biggest collection...." just made my day and the whole post captures what I too have been thinking as I just looked at their schedule. I do like Brenda and do think she can coach quite a bit, not like the master but better than most other contenders. It will be fun to watch and for us to enjoy the journey of this most unexpected (but still expected) season!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No..... Nat took a step backwards against Nebraska. I hope it was just a bad game. Offensively, she has some work to improve footwork, passing, decision making.
Last year Jones tired quickly as the game wore on. Nat's value is defensively, if Nat can make Jones work hard she will give the team some valuable minutes.
Personally, I think it is Shatori-Walker and Slocum who will give the team fits.
Both Saniya and Natalie have this ability to play well when they are most needed. Natalie was not needed against Nebraska. My guess is Nat will be needed for spot minutes against MD.

Reaction Score
I think one of the things that has made this UCONN team so difficult to beat has been the offensive balance that they present and the matchup difficulties they present to opponents. To suggest that Geno should take out Napheesa who has been able to score efficiently against all the teams we have played in order to present some defensive problems for Jones and save fouls for Napheesa - I don't think that really is playing the winning hand. I'd rather see how well Jones can guard Pheesa and try to get her in foul trouble. Then if Pheesa picks up early fouls come in with Butler as plan B.

Reaction Score
The win streak Geno and the kids relish most would be to go 6-0 at season's end. Could UConn drop any games? Sure, but I wouldn't bet against them. As far as losing the Big 3 from last season, let Taurasi, aka the Long Survivor, remind us (from from 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons)............ "It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog (Husky)!" On another note, I don't believe politics will allow more than one UConn 1st team AA this year. It wound probably be KLS, though NC is better and a greater contributor at this juncture. And Gabby ain't far behind. GW's my favorite the "lunch pale warrior" who does everything needed, not to take anything away from KLS or NC. With the transfers and recruits coming in next year, we may be talking about the Big 8 or 10.

Reaction Score
I echo the others: we don't change our starting lineup.

But, with regards to the Holy Grail, I think I would trade a national championship this year for an undefeated season through the round of eight. Having a win streak over 100 would be pretty special.
You have to be the only person in the entire husky nation who would even imagine such a trade. The New England Patriots once went undefeated in the regular season – after losing the Super Bowl, no one cared.

Reaction Score
No start for Nat. She may come off bench first but she's not starting. All 5 UCONN starters played in the Maryland game last year so they have an idea of what they are up against. MD has 3 returning players from last year and 2 freshmen who won't know what hit them once they have UCONN defense coming at them. Size of starters about the same but I'm sure they don't match up player vs player but that changes with bench. UCONN has played a more stronger schedule so far then MD to date. I was at MSG last year when these two teams played. It wasn't that MD was that good, UCONN didn't play well. I think UCONN wins by 20 :cool:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maryland is still an unknown. The pieces are there but how they will do being challenged for 40 minutes isn't clear.
UMass Lowell 6/5 - XFINITY Center 1:00 p.m. W, 100-44
Maryland Eastern Shore 6/5 - XFINITY Center 6:30 p.m. W, 106-61
Mount St. Mary's - MD 6/5 - XFINITY Center 11:00 a.m. W, 106-42
Niagara 6/5 - at Niagara Univ., N.Y. 12:00 p.m. W, 96-64
Arizona State 6/5 23/21 Las Vegas, Nev. 4:00 p.m. W, 83-42
Washington State 6/5 - Las Vegas, Nev. 6:30 p.m. W, 79-69
Louisville 5/5 7/7 at Louisville, Ky. 7:00 p.m. W, 78-72
UMBC 5/5 - XFINITY Center 2:00 p.m. W, 92-42
Towson 4/4 - XFINITY Center 7:00 p.m. W, 97-63 BTN
Saint Peter's 4/4 - XFINITY Center 6:30 p.m. W, 101-49
Loyola (Md.) 4/4 - at Baltimore, Md. 7:00 p.m. W, 79-60
Duquesne 4/3 - at Pittsburgh, Pa. 7:00 p.m. W, 77-57

One has to wonder why Brenda did not schedule Winthrop. An oversight, I'm guessin'.

Reaction Score
For the fact that this thread was started tells me you Husky fans are a wee bit nervous about this game :cool:. Oh yeah the TERPS win :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For the fact that this thread was started tells me you Husky fans are a wee bit nervous about this game :cool:. Oh yeah the TERPS win :D
Not so much. Discussing Husky basketball is what we do here.

That said. Maryland has a a lot of tools. Speaking for myself, of course I view Maryland as the next big test for the Huskies. You guys are certainly capable of winning the game.

Thanks for stopping by. Any thoughts on match ups, concerns, etc.?

Reaction Score
Not so much. Discussing Husky basketball is what we do here.

That said. Maryland has a a lot of tools. Speaking for myself, of course I view Maryland as the next big test for the Huskies. You guys are certainly capable of winning the game.

Thanks for stopping by. Any thoughts on match ups, concerns, etc.?

I actually think UCONN is going to pose a HUGE challenege for my Lady Terps. Kia, Naphessa are going to give us fits. My personal opinion is that the Lady Huskies don't have a clear cut dominate person they can count on to get bucket anytime they want e.g. Stewart, Maya, DT, Sales. Ultimately UCONN cuts down the nets again this year :(

Reaction Score

But, with regards to the Holy Grail, I think I would trade a national championship this year for an undefeated season through the round of eight. Having a win streak over 100 would be pretty special.
If you are undefeated, you must win NC.
If you win NC not necessary you are undefeated.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Again, some very interesting comments here. Two thoughts here:

As others have suggested, Geno is not going to change his line up according to the strengths or weaknesses of a given opponent. To date, Butler has not proven to be very offensive on offense. Yes, she has her place in the rotation, and she can be a huge presence in their defense's paint, but there's no way she starts in place of Williams. Gabby MUST be in the starting line up, and must stay on the floor, which she has been doing lately. Williams was having difficulty staying out of foul trouble at the beginning of the season, but that problem has been addressed. She hasn't had to sit with foul trouble the last 6-7 games, and has logged over 35 minutes a game since.If UConn is being overwhelmed in the paint, then defensive adjustments will be made.

2. Maryland has not exactly played a very challenging schedule so far this season. I think it would be fair to say that UConn has faced more adversity, and much more challenging opponents (Florida State/Baylor/Notre Dame) than Maryland has to date. Maryland is the next ranked opponent up, but I don't think they are the best team we've played so far.

Maryland has played 2 ranked teams. #23 Arizona State who they blew out at home by 41, and #7 Louisville they beat by 6 on the road. That's it. The rest of their schedule would not raise an eyebrow compared to UConn's schedule. They played some teams that are nowhere close to being their equal talent or size wise. Middle to high "mid-majors" at best.

Here's the rub - UConn has already played in several BIG games against BIG teams on BIG stages, and won them all. Yes, UConn is concerned about Maryland as they should be. They're the next game on the schedule, and as such, the most important game on their schedule. Geno and staff have 7 days to prepare for them. Maryland had better be ready for UConn. UConn brings the better resume' and track record into this game.

UConn is the "giant killer" here. UConn has already played against all of the top 7 teams in the country. Maryland is not going to bring anything to the court that UConn has not already seen. The same cannot be said about Maryland. UConn will bring a defense that Maryland has not seen thus far. They have not faced a team that will pressure you, fast break you, and turn you over as quickly and as often as UConn can.

UConn will jump on you early, and stay there. They are relentless, they don't let up. Nebraska witnessed that last night. They were down by 12 before the seats were warm, and hopelessly down by 26 at the half, wondering if anyone got the number of that truck that just ran over them. :eek: Maryland's 12-0 record is a bit dubious and won't mean anything when they take the court in 8 days against the Huskies.

It's what you are bringing to the table right now, tonight that matters. Are you prepared to fight claw, and battle for 40 minutes? Can you fight your way back when you're down by double digits? Can you stop a UConn 8-12 point run that's going downhill? Can your BIGS run the floor and stay out of foul trouble, and stay on the court in the first half? Can you stop UConn's fast breaks?

Yes, Maryland has a good team, but so does Florida State, Baylor, DePaul, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. Geno and staff will devise a plan, and have the team ready to play Dec 29. He will make the necessary adjustments at half time, as he always does. We saw an excellent example of that Monday night, when they shut down Kelsey Mitchell in the second half, holding her to 4 points.

All I'm saying is the success that Maryland has had to this point has NOT been against the type of defense they'll see next week. UConn will play the same way they do every night. They'll bring their A game, and Maryland will have to try and match it. UConn has the knack or ability to take all of the steam/will out of an opponent. Maryland is the one that will have to adjust their game.

We've seen it time and time again. UConn will have a 20-25 point lead in the 3rd quarter, and you can see the look of despair and hopelessness on the faces of their bench. Muffet McGraw does not have a poker face. The last few games against them, you could see the desperation and bewilderment on her face. I'm going to take the "Doubting Thomas" approach here (I want to see it with my own two eyes).

You've got a 12-0 record thus far. I'm also going to adopt the state of Missouri as my home state for this game. If you think you're good enough to take my lunch money and hand me my first defeat, you've got to show me. I can guarantee one thing about this game. One of them will suffer their first loss that night. I went all the way out on a limb for that one. :cool:

Number don't tell the whole story, but they are suggestive.
The Collegiate Basketball News Women's RPI College Basketball Ratings - Through games of Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Rank Team W - L SS Rk RPI
1. Connecticut 11 - 0 .7628 2 .7854
20. Maryland 12 - 0 .4881 194 .6297

RK = Rank
SS = Strength of Schedule
RPI = Rating Percentage Index

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Give me the national championship any day ahead of a season ending loss .

Reaction Score
Lots of good posts as usual. The key element mentioned by only a few posters was---Maryland is starting two freshman. Since we all know that BB is a team game, it seems to be a long shot that those two frosh will make Maryland the "Best Team." In addition, one of the new starters is the point guard. Saniya will probably start so we do have the experience and skill edge. Also, Danger was the #1 point guard coming in this year so I will take UConn at that key spot. (I know Slocum is very good)
Final point - with 3 or 4 big time games against teams with BIGS, UConn has not only learned how to play against Big girls, but they have proven that they can defeat them handily. IMHO the game will be close at the half (maybe even UConn behind a few) but UConn will pull away for the win. And yes, I am always wary of good teams who have had success over the years.

Reaction Score
Good post as always, PhillyCoach. As with many others, I was somewhat in despair about UConn's lack of height at the beginning of the season (and, frankly, since then it's not apparent that any of them have decided to go on a growth spurt either: what's with that? :)). But what we're seeing especially is the development of extremely quick hands at ball level. The coaches have been superb, not only in the usual strategies underneath of contesting the pass, weak side help, boxing out, etc, but also in making smallness and quickness a virtue by being pesky around waist level. A lot of these disruptions don't even show up in the box score, because it's not only about turnovers, but also about forcing the opponents to reset or getting them off balance to make a worse shot. Just a lot of good compensatory mechanisms that may deprive opponent bigs of a couple of points and rebounds/game--and that's all the margin UConn needs.

Reaction Score
Even if Jones and Walker -Kimbrough get 20 apiece, which I think is a stretch, UCONN wins by 12. I think having Gabby and Pheesa take turns on Jones and Kia and CD/Chong shadow Waker-Kimbrough we'll be more than okay. Natalie can come in to give Gabby and Phessa some rest but Jones is way too much for Natalie. Best time to being Nat in is when Jones sits. Only way UCONN loses is a less than 40% FG percentage.

Reaction Score
In every team sport, there exists only one, true Holy Grail, and that, of course, is each season’s National Championship. Consecutive game win streaks are nice, and almost unbelievable insofar as the lofty numbers UConn repeatedly establishes are concerned. Likewise for undefeated regular seasons, however beyond all reasonable preseason expectations it is that such an accomplishment now seems within possible reach of our favorite team in this of all years. Still, at the “end of the day,” only one goal carries ultimate meaning.

Put in that context, and given the fact that The Huskies have already proved themselves to be a worthy Final Four candidate for this season, the upcoming game against The Terps is not freighted with all that much meaning, unless UConn gets blown out, which just ain’t gonna happen. Nevertheless, all of us are looking forward to it quite eagerly, for obvious reasons. In my opinion, this game challenges Geno with the single toughest matchup conundrum of the season to date: how, given lack of dominant size, and given the relative shortness of the bench, to defense Brionna Jones, the one player who really gave them fits last year.

Gabby Williams, I think we all would agree, must stay out of serious foul trouble. Do my fellow posters think that on that basis Geno starts Natalie in this game, letting her play Jones as physically as possible, even at the potential cost of fouling out herself? I, obviously, am not Geno, but I think I would. What would you do?

Of course I'm late to this party lol.....

I disagree with you on Gabby sitting on the bench and starting Natalie. As of now, you don't sit a proven athletic starter to put a big body in to play ultra physical and perhaps foul out. Besides, I don't believe Gabby will guard B. Jones. It will most likely be Pheesa. Gabby is what we need out there against Maryland and Geno knows this. Geno changes nothing in regards to the lineup unless injury plays a part.

Reaction Score
I do remember that he played for the Celtics.... And how times have changed; he was a power forward at 6'-5".
Followed several years later with a 6'7" center, Wayne Embry. Same idea-big, powerful sub to bang and wear opponent out while starter rested.

Reaction Score

Appreciate all opinions but we must have seen a different Nebraska game. Nat was OK, not great, but appeared to alter a number of shots. Nebraska must not be used to 6'5' opponents since they missed many layups trying to shoot over her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom