The Maryland Game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Maryland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In addition to an injury, my concern in closely contested games for UCONN vs. a major contender is always the officials. This year the key is how the game is called by that threesome. This year it seems one of the most likely would be 1 Very Familiar one, 1 new regular, and 1 qualified wild card. We've already survived who I label "Joey Dee and the Starlighters" of Rock n Roll fame, meaning I would prefer most any combo other than Dee Kantner, Joey Vaszily, + 1. This mainly because of their familarity with UCONN, and their tendancy to get us in foul trouble. A couple close calls going the other way could cause problems with our short bench. I think JV has done at least four Huskies games, way too many for pre conference season. I predict a closely contested game until late when UCONN pulls out an 8 point win, maybe more.

Reaction Score
I am sure the only reason the game is sold out is because the 1st 2000 fans get a free Frese Fest t-shirt. ;)
What happened to the free clear bags? I've been waiting to see one.

Reaction Score
Nat has improved this year and she will play against MD, but there is no way that she will start.

As for MD, I am just not sold yet. They have experience, size & depth, all the things the Huskies don't have. They have 2 quality wins vs ASU & Louisville and a bunch of blowouts against the biggest collection of cupcakes since the school bake sale. They'll face the Huskies at home in front of a large, supportive crowd.

I just don't know if Brenda can outcoach Geno. I see this game playing out like ND or Baylor, close for a while with UConn pulling away in the end.
I'm kinda stunned that I would read "I just don't know if Brenda can outcoach Geno" from you. I think Brenda Freese is a very good recruiter but I have never thought she was an exceptional coach and you seem to suggest that that possibility exists. If you were talking about Muffet or maybe Tara, that would be in the realm of possibly close but Brenda Freese? Shocking!

Reaction Score
For the fact that this thread was started tells me you Husky fans are a wee bit nervous about this game :cool:. Oh yeah the TERPS win :D
You do know that we had a serious thread about Ohio State, Notre Dame and even FSU, right? After we beat your butt, we'll have a serious thread about South Carolina, as well. That's what we do here, just so you know! Last year we had a lot of talk about South Carolina and there was stories from their fans about a sold out game on their home floor and the suggestion that our streak was gone and then we KINDA SMOKED THEM! Seems like you're making a lot of assumptions and you know what they say about that, don't you?

Reaction Score
TWF, Brionna is my favorite big in WCBB. She has given UCONN fits in the past. However, I believe the quickness of our two bigs, along with Butler's effort, will neutralize Brionna. South Carolina is another story and I agree with your thoughts. If SC can be taken out of their rhythm, via shutting down Coates, or hasseling the guards, SC can be beaten. Tuck took care of Coates the last two years, I believe, which helped in two victories by UCONN. IIRC, Wilson was hurt during the game last year. Anyway, this will be a great game this year. As you said, SC has to execute their plan. They failed the last two years.
I thought that SC had been beaten this year. Your remarks make them seem to be unbeatable UNLESS they have a serious lapse. Duh! It's already happened and there's nothing to suggest it won't happen again because UConn is a talented team and they are the best coached team in women's college basketball. Why don't we wait to get to that story when the game is on the immediate horizon. This thread was supposed to be regarding Maryland.

Reaction Score
I understand that lol I was just saying Coates is better then most Centers guarding the perimeter but she by any means can't keep up with Williams. That's really why I said Herbert Harrigan could log some valuable minuets guarding Williams and Collier. I've watched all of UCONN games against every ranked opponent this year and what I meant by Williams, Collier and KLS not being able to create their own shot was the fact that they play without the ball. They use backdoors, down screens, curls, and v cuts. Even though Williams is a guard/wing she doesn't have significant ball handling skills but she is very capable of driving to the whole. In fact the only players who I think could really handle the ball for you guys is Crystal Dangerfield. I've been around Basketball for 30 years as a spectator, player, and coach to know good ball handling when I see it. Once Nurse, Chong, and KLS recieve the ball at the top of the Key I would apply extreme pressure on them to make turnovers. In the Fl St, Baylor, and ND games I have seen KLS try to dribble and create her own shot but couldn't because her ball handling skills haven't developed yet. Force their guards who make the passes to KLS, Collier, and Williams into TOs and that will pay huge dividens in the game.
I think the fact that UConn players don't work to "create their own shots" is a big positive of what makes this team good. Shot creators are quite often playing for themselves rather than for the team aspect of things. Our offense is primarily getting the ball to the cutter or whomever has the best opportunity to put the ball in the basket, not play selfish schoolyard "show you what I can do" kind of basketball. They continually work to move the ball to the optimum shooter and it seems to be working. I think one of the reasons Crystal hasn't been as successful since her big splash early this season is the fact that she's forced things a bit and played a bit sloppily. I know she's just a freshman and she'll evolve but it's those kinds of things that have dimmed her effectiveness a bit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm kinda stunned that I would read "I just don't know if Brenda can outcoach Geno" from you. I think Brenda Freese is a very good recruiter but I have never thought she was an exceptional coach and you seem to suggest that that possibility exists. If you were talking about Muffet or maybe Tara, that would be in the realm of possibly close but Brenda Freese? Shocking!
BB, I must say you are stretching some with your attempt to interpret some hidden meaning in my statement on Brenda Frese's coaching ability relative to Geno. I was attempting to make just the opposite point that Brenda is not on the same level as Geno with the use of "understatement."

Rest assured, if I felt that Brenda was as good a coach as Geno I would have said so. FYI, I feel Greg Popovich & Mike Krzyzewski are comparable to Geno relative to their coaching ability, and either of them might beat Geno in a coaching matchup against the UConn women and the San Antonio Spurs or Duke men's team respectively.

p.s. The last statement was "sarcasm." :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On Jim Fuller's blog is a link to a post practice interview where it is discussed that Geno missed a practice [illness] and he says a couple of the girls are also under the weather.

Reaction Score
On Jim Fuller's blog is a link to a post practice interview where it is discussed that Geno missed a practice [illness] and he says a couple of the girls are also under the weather.

Preemptive strike. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So Maryland lost by 10 points on a neutral court with UConn having Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson. UConn has no depth, playing on Maryland's home court yet they will win by double digits. Interesting.

BTW, Maryland beat ASU in Las Vegas. Not on their home court.
Uconn beat Notre Dame by double digits on their home floor!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This game will be about points off turnovers. If Maryland doesn't turn UCONN over a lot and get out in transition I don't think they will win, but if they get out in the passing lanes and disrupt with their defense they can pull out a win. I don't think MD can win in a half court battle.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
UConn wins unless they get into foul trouble. Cannot afford any "silly" fouls and hope the refs aren't whistle happy.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In honor of what we all hope and pray would be Win #87 in a row, I think UConn will win 87-78. There will be some days of Christmas and Hanukah left, and a win here would be Geno's gift to his true love: his fan base.

Be confident: between Lou 'n Phee, we WILL beat UMD. Natalie will battle the opponents in the post and make the Terps toast. Gabby will be Fabby once again. Crystal will unload her pistol, and of treys, she'll hit a fistful...even if of the old Big Three we'll remain wistful.

we'll be in and a land of stately heaven when the huskies will themselves to 87.

Go UConn !!!
Hey, I was pretty close on this one, right? :)

Reaction Score
Gotta disagree. Watch ND game and along with Muffet's postgame comments, because Lou took the ball to the rack when the defender tried to come up hard to defend the shot. People think because she is not as athletic as some of the other players she can not create, and remember that she is usually at least a few inches taller than her defender. While she is not a PG with the ball she is usually very good not turning it over. If NC is anywhere in the paint she can score one-on-one, I believe on just about anyone. That fade away is $$$ : - )

I know many of us have very good points and are more knowledgeable than myself, but I had to come back to this thread because Lou could not have backed up my comments any better. She scored so many different ways AND many times created for herself with a defender draped on her. She took the three, pull up jumper, drive to the lane in traffic. Lou is going to be a star as good as any that is playing today in college basketball. Her offensive skill set with her height as a guard is nearly unstoppable. Some of the replays show her just elevating over her opponent. Just as impressed as how quickly she can pass out of double team and just in general within flow of offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom