Students & UCMB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Students & UCMB

Reaction Score
Since the pandemic there has been increased leverage by workers for accommodations from employers - remote work, pay increases, flexibility, etc. With an acute labor shortage that shouldn't have come as a surprise and I think a lot of the requests were reasonable and are bringing us to a better place. But, some are taking this too far.....

Band directors don't get to unilaterally decide if he band will be participating at at event. Band members don't get to unilaterally boycott a scheduled event because they don't like an administrative decision. If either or both of those things happened then folks need to be shown the door. Frankly, what's there to lose by cutting folks like that loose?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Has the band director publicly addressed exactly what the medical issue was...and why he unilaterally decided to not attend the game?

Reaction Score
Given that waaaaaaay too much of this played out in public, i would assume this will never really be addressed publicly again. Admittedly no insight on that, though.
I’m just hoping that:

1. Band is healthy
2. Weather is good
3. Band Director’s feelings aren’t hurt

Because I fear the band won’t show up if any of the above doesn’t happen. Fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
UCMB will be at the game on Sat, but based on this tweet they may not show up until the 4th quarter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928_120830_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_120830_X.jpg
    959.9 KB · Views: 162

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong here but I have a strong suspicion that the decision was made well above the band director's pay grade.

There has been an ongoing feud between UConn's leadership and the powers within the state about the cost to the school and needed commitment by the school (at least in terms of the XL center) for games played in East Hartford & Hartford.

It was just a couple days ago that the agreement on XL was reached. I'm not sure that it was coincidental that the blue flu that kept the band from attending the Duke football game occurred in the middle of discussions on the cost and number of events the school would hold at the XL center.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong here but I have a strong suspicion that the decision was made well above the band director's pay grade.

There has been an ongoing feud between UConn's leadership and the powers within the state about the cost to the school and needed commitment by the school (at least in terms of the XL center) for games played in East Hartford & Hartford.

It was just a couple days ago that the agreement on XL was reached. I'm not sure that it was coincidental that the blue flu that kept the band from attending the Duke football game occurred in the middle of discussions on the cost and number of events the school would hold at the XL center.

People keep saying this, and it only proves that they have no idea what they are talking about.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
People keep saying this, and it only proves that they have no idea what they are talking about.
My connection with the marching band begins with a post on this board's predecessor, more than a dozen years ago, asking for donations to help with new uniforms as the band's uniforms were old and in many cases falling apart It ends with a years later post, attempting to establish an endowment to provide partial scholarships to band members. I made a donation each time

I was merely speculating due to the conspicuous timing. You obviously have some inside information. As a fan of the school and supporter of many things the school is involved with I would appreciate it if you could share what happened as on the surface, the band missing a home game (especially a very high profile one) makes zero sense.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My connection with the marching band begins with a post on this board's predecessor, more than a dozen years ago, asking for donations to help with new uniforms as the band's uniforms were old and in many cases falling apart It ends with a years later post, attempting to establish an endowment to provide partial scholarships to band members. I made a donation each time

I was merely speculating due to the conspicuous timing. You obviously have some inside information. As a fan of the school and supporter of many things the school is involved with I would appreciate it if you could share what happened as on the surface, the band missing a home game (especially a very high profile one) makes zero sense.

I don’t owe anyone anything, I’m just trying to debunk those who are even speculating this is somehow nefarious.

An utterly incorrect forecast and Covid were the true factors. All public. Too public. I’m not happy about it either, seeing as I marched myself in a monsoon @ URI as an undergraduate. However, it happened. Hopefully lessons learned.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Why tweet yhat you will show up? It's assumed you'll be there.
1) what else would a band tweet about?
2) errr - the football team does the same thing. It’s even MORE assumed they’ll be there. Going to take a shot there too?

Reaction Score
Honestly, there is no excuse for the band not to be there. None. Full stop. There is NO WAY this would happen at Ohio State, Michigan...frankly, top tier football school that we aspire to be.
Let’s not pretend we’re top-tier until we start actually showing up and winning games.

Reaction Score
1) what else would a band tweet about?
2) errr - the football team does the same thing. It’s even MORE assumed they’ll be there. Going to take a shot there too?
because i have never seen a tweet from the Band that said that they were 'showing up' .. in 25 years!!!
I don't tweet every day, that I'm showing up!

Let's face it. We LOVE the band. The band messed up by not coming last weekend.
And, while we have stayed 45 minutes after every game to watch them perform, I'll leave that up to my wife.
Because she is pissed !

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
because i have never seen a tweet from the Band that said that they were 'showing up' .. in 25 years!!!
I don't tweet every day, that I'm showing up!

Let's face it. We LOVE the band. The band messed up by not coming last weekend.
And, while we have stayed 45 minutes after every game to watch them perform, I'll leave that up to my wife.
Because she is pissed !

They literally have done it for every attended game this year. Most college marching bands do similar.

If you're indeed one of the hearty few that stay for post-game - i salute you. Unlike most here, you truly value the band.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Anyone going to call out the pathetic student section from this game? That was easily the worst one I've seen, maybe barring the UMass game in a tropical storm.
Two rows deep or so. Bad. I’m surprised they found a student to kick in the FG promotion.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Two rows deep or so. Bad. I’m surprised they found a student to kick in the FG promotion.

Not even. I got pictures from several other fanbases asking what happened.

Shockingly only our supposed "fans" railed on the band all week...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Anyone going to call out the pathetic student section from this game? That was easily the worst one I've seen, maybe barring the UMass game in a tropical storm.

And yet every week without fail, I read at least 3-4 posts about how the field should be on campus.

The alumni and die-hards from around the state are what keep this team going through the tough times. An 0-5 team on campus would look like a ghost town, and a 5-0 team wouldn't be able to get the folks from western CT to the game due to the miserable traffic. Being in East Hartford is the best hedge for our team, for better or for worse...

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Evidently you don't realize that a marching band actually makes a commitment to attend events such as home football games while with students, attending a game is a discretionary decision.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Bro you gotta give it a rest, just because you’re the only one who named their handle after the band doesn’t mean that you are the only one who supports the band.

The band SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE. The way they handled themselves on Military Appreciation Day was unprofessional, they embarrassed themselves and the university! Plenty of us were at the game that day, and were very disappointed that the band left us hanging like that. It showed poor leadership. People were understandably upset, but it’s not the end of the world. Let it go.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Evidently you don't realize that a marching band actually makes a commitment to attend events such as home football games while with students, attending a game is a discretionary decision.
So you’re justifying a no show?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom