Students & UCMB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Students & UCMB

Reaction Score
Pretty pathetic when you can’t get a straight answer from your friendly state institution. The leadership is bush league.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think our band is soft and didn't want to attend because it was raining.

Reaction Score
Who cares?
Many of us care because we enjoy the band. The band cares because they work their tails off just like athletes all week. This to get to perform for a short time six or hopefully seven times a year. On to basketball and hockey pep bands get chosen from the large marching band. Many UConn fans and the parents of the players care. Many like yourself do not even realize a good portion of fans in the house are parents of the band and cheer members. Every bottom counts. ;)
This might be a stupid question but do the kids on UCMB get any type of financial aide for being a part of the band
Not sure of financial aide but I was told some time ago they got an abysmal quarter credit each semester. No actual proof though.
Maybe Band dad could help on this one.
Personally, I think our band is soft and didn't want to attend because it was raining.
No attack but personally I think you are very young and not attended many UConn games. If you were in The Dog House yesterday I thank you. But I have witnessed The UCMB for decades and the band has played in rain, sleet, snow along with the wind.
Your opinion could not be further from the truth.
A new band director panicked with some sick players. Maybe out of caution but most likely sees liability lawyers adds on TV all day every day. He could have sent a smaller group and not let a lot of people down.
This being the team, the fans, the band and the school. :(

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Many of us care because we enjoy the band. The band cares because they work their tails off just like athletes all week. This to get to perform for a short time six or hopefully seven times a year. On to basketball and hockey pep bands get chosen from the large marching band. Many UConn fans and the parents of the players care. Many like yourself do not even realize a good portion of fans in the house are parents of the band and cheer members. Every bottom counts. ;)

Not sure of financial aide but I was told some time ago they got an abysmal quarter credit each semester. No actual proof though.
Maybe Band dad could help on this one.

No attack but personally I think you are very young and not attended many UConn games. If you were in The Dog House yesterday I thank you. But I have witnessed The UCMB for decades and the band has played in rain, sleet, snow along with the wind.
Your opinion could not be further from the truth.
A new band director panicked with some sick players. Maybe out of caution but most likely sees liability lawyers adds on TV all day every day. He could have sent a smaller group and not let a lot of people down.
This being the team, the fans, the band and the school. :(

1) If nobody cared about the band, they wouldn't have been missed. Given the numerous threads here, it's clear many do.
2) 1 credit per semester (so 1/3 of a "normal" class) for many many more hours committed.

As a band alumnus and a current band parent, this weekend was "not great Bob," but we move on. Hoping for great weather and a full band on Saturday.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I am a former high school band director. Let me just say your comment leaves a great deal to be desired.

Do you know how much quality instruments costs? Do you know what the cost is to repair a woodwind instrument damaged by rain and water? Who picks up the tab for those repairs? I guarantee you it will not be the school.

I'll say no more. I'm trying very hard to be nice.

Reaction Score
I am a former high school band director. Let me just say your comment leaves a great deal to be desired.

Do you know how much quality instruments costs? Do you know what the cost is to repair a woodwind instrument damaged by rain and water? Who picks up the tab for those repairs? I guarantee you it will not be the school.

Not a band geek but I’ve been to games for 25 years in rain, sleet, snow. Aze biting cold and they always show up. It’s actually amazing what they play through and I often wonder what motivates somebody to want to deal with that for 10-15 minutes of playing. They are the spirit of school and really quite remarkable young people who actually care.

Reaction Score

Then why make up a fake excuse? Just say that they didn't want their instruments damaged.

Reaction Score

Does water damage only happen in CT? Because plenty of bands play in bad weather.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Nut up, Huskeynut. FB board. The band ghosting us just is icing on the cake to a sh&tty day.

Reaction Score
but it wasnt raining.
The forecast was for torrentional rain & hazardous wind. But EVERY weather update now is for 'hazardous condtions"

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Does water damage only happen in CT? Because plenty of bands play in bad weather.
Plenty of bands are brass-only too, for this reason, amongst others.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Are you justifying a marching band not showing up because of rain? Because it kind of seems like you are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Funny how we don’t seem to notice something until it’s gone. The UCMB hasn’t gotten this much love on this board since —ever.
I don't think that's accurate at all. You see a lot of love for "the pride of Connecticut" on this board.

There's some buzz going on that a thought process like yours motivated the no-show. If that's the case, the band Director needs to be removed from his duties.

Reaction Score
Honest question - how many times has the UCONN band not played at a football game due to weather? I’m sure it’s happened? But for the life of me I can’t remember a game when I haven’t heard the band.

I 100% believe the band director is a huge crybaby who does not understand chain of command and weather absolutely had nothing to do with not showing up.

But when a poster mentioned the potential damage to instruments from weather I remember a ton of crazy rainy games but band was there? Is it more common than I thought?

Reaction Score
I don't think that's accurate at all. You see a lot of love for "the pride of Connecticut" on this board.

There's some buzz going on that a thought process like yours motivated the no-show. If that's the case, the band Director needs to be removed from his duties.

Agree here - I think most posters here have praised the band at one time or another. Bands are indispensable part of the college football experience and UCONN has a great one.

Reaction Score
We have magical rainwater in New England. It explains why instruments that can be played in rain in the south and the plains can't be played here. It has nothing to do with priorities, just the makeup of water.

If the band didn't come because there was a covid outbreak, that makes perfect sense and is what it is. Although the band director probably shouldn't have made the call without input from higher ups. If it was a protest against the band being told it wouldn't do games at the Civic Center this year, or for any other reason (I don't believe for a second it was weather related), then the band director absolutely needs to be relieved of that responsibility.

Reaction Score
We have magical rainwater in New England. It explains why instruments that can be played in rain in the south and the plains can't be played here. It has nothing to do with priorities, just the makeup of water.

If the band didn't come because there was a covid outbreak, that makes perfect sense and is what it is. Although the band director probably shouldn't have made the call without input from higher ups. If it was a protest against the band being told it wouldn't do games at the Civic Center this year, or for any other reason (I don't believe for a second it was weather related), then the band director absolutely needs to be relieved of that responsibility.

Absolutely

Reaction Score
Honest question - how many times has the UCONN band not played at a football game due to weather? I’m sure it’s happened? But for the life of me I can’t remember a game when I haven’t heard the band.

I 100% believe the band director is a huge crybaby who does not understand chain of command and weather absolutely had nothing to do with not showing up.

But when a poster mentioned the potential damage to instruments from weather I remember a ton of crazy rainy games but band was there? Is it more common than I thought?
I can only speak for the 4 years I spent in the Marching Band, albeit many moons ago, but we never missed a game due to the weather.

Reaction Score
I can only speak for the 4 years I spent in the Marching Band, albeit many moons ago, but we never missed a game due to the weather.
Thanks - I can’t remember for the life of me a time the band wasn’t there. I’ve been to 85% of home games since opening of the Rent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom