2023 Recruiting: - Stephon Castle on Reclassifying | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle on Reclassifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are talking to Dan Hurley's wife. Shape up.
No one knows exactly who @NJHoops is, and regardless if you guessed right or wrong, they’d adamantly deny it. (Rightfully so)

Just know that whoever it is though, they’re close to the program & should be respected accordingly for even coming in here & giving a small peek behind the curtain of things going on

Reaction Score
They do and most assuredly are. Getting a real strength coach with you every day is just a different animal.

Some kids they'll send to strength coaches before they enroll--we just can't pay for it. Akok had some really high level training in Glastonbury before he enrolled.
Your point is also why it is smart for guys to go pro when it projects well. College gives you part time training. Pros it’s all day.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'“I just want fans to know I’m coming to change the culture around there,” he said. “UConn hasn’t been UConn in a minute, and I’m coming to change it.”
wait, wait, wait. hold up. change the culture? UConn hasn't been UConn?
I'm coming to change it?
soooooooo, iffn he doesn't come now, we have to wait until he comes to 'change it?' what aboot the existing gang, what are they, chopped liver?
i thought that we're already into a 'new culture,' was danny and new social director andre informed of this? what aboot their plans for culture change next season? iffn i was on the current squad and i read this, i'd be like 'wait, what?'
and what is all this talk aboot new culture anyway? what does it look like? more exactly, what is it? cuz just saying win more isn't anything new aboot that. everybody says that all the time.
do i have to buy new clothes, or eat only certain things? will there be singing of chants, or waving of willow branches, cuz i ain't doing any of that. this man is coming in talking like superman going to save the damsel in distress tied to the railroad tracks. shure hope this ain't one of those clay feet stories. yeppers, i shure hope so, cuz to talk like superman, u have to be superman.

Reaction Score

CASTLE HAS BIG NIGHT

Playing against KC Run GMC, the Atlana Xpress dug themselves a bit of a hole early on. However, Connecticut bound combo guard Stephon Castle never panicked and came up with several winning plays to help his team secure a come from behind win while going for 20+ point during an opening night game.

What really stands out about Castle is his size and strength. Physically, he could play in a Big East game tomorrow, and he wouldn’t look out of place or be over his head. Along with his strength he’s got 6-foot-5 size and that’s an awful lot for more high school kids to deal with. Castle was able to bully his way to the rim, connected on some timely jumpers and simply provided a steady presence throughout the game.

There’s no question that Dan Hurley had to have loved what he saw while sitting courtside and Castle more than backed up his current ranking of No. 28 overall in the class of 2023 by 247Sports.

Reaction Score
No one is forcing him to do anything.
I mean sure... But let's not pretend we have insiders in here suggesting the staff is recruiting him to come here early(which absolutely was not the plan for him as a recruit probably 2 or 3 weeks ago)... We can argue semantics about what that's called at a later date.

Regardless let it be the kids decision if it fits his life and his path... Not you know because we currently have one scholarship PG on the roster.

Reaction Score
I mean sure... But let's not pretend we have insiders in here suggesting the staff is recruiting him to come here early(which absolutely was not the plan for him as a recruit probably 2 or 3 weeks ago)... We can argue semantics about what that's called at a later date.

Regardless let it be the kids decision if it fits his life and his path... Not you know because we currently have one scholarship PG on the roster.
Stephon Castle said in an article with quotes from himself that he was considering reclassing. But sure, you know better than him that it was never an option

Reaction Score

I don’t understand those first couple of sentences, but I don’t think you’re thinking through what you’re saying. Stephon could go almost anywhere to play college basketball. You think the staff is going to “force” or go too hard telling a kid what to do when he and his family have always handled his recruitment and career in a certain way? And could walk if they feel offended? Whispers about reclassifying have been out there for quite a while.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Most people think reclassifying is just waving a magic wand and you're good to go. It doesn't work like that. It also ignores all of the life implications of skipping your senior year of HS. This isn't just about basketball

I've stated this again and again but reclassifing never made sense from Castles perspective and forcing that onto a kid because your guard depth stinks is a quick way to starting off your post HS career in a bad way.

Let this kid be a kid and we'll get to see him on campus in a year.
I agree completely with your first paragraph and the the things you state should be taken into consideration before making a decision about when to go to college.

I understand your second paragraph but unlike you I don’t presume to know the physical, intellectual, and emotional maturity of every 17 year old to make that generalized statement. No one would question that a small percentage of 18 y.o. might need a post graduate year. There are 17 year olds who can and do go to college and do well.

My hope is that Stephon Castle, his family, friends, and current coaches, can assess who he is and what he needs, and from that assessment they can Hopefully predict what should be done and communicate that to our coaches as quickly as they can so our coaches know how to proceed with recruiting for this years roster.

Reaction Score
If the staff is still watching Castle it’s likely they’re still assessing if they think it’s a good idea for him to reclassify. It’s gotta be a mutual agreement between the staff and Castle as to which would be best for his development and his NBA aspirations. But the fact that they’ve been watching him a few times over the last few weeks makes me think they want him here in the fall

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the staff is still watching Castle it’s likely they’re still assessing if they think it’s a good idea for him to reclassify. It’s gotta be a mutual agreement between the staff and Castle as to which would be best for his development and his NBA aspirations. But the fact that they’ve been watching him a few times over the last few weeks makes me think they want him here in the fall
Maybe. But we just had a kid who comitted, came, practiced for a year and left without playing a game. You can never stop recruiting these kids now, even when they are on the team. Have to show them the love because lots of other coaches will be trying to get him to decommit. I am looking at this as “we love you and really want you at UConn”. Now or later.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But we just had a kid who comitted, came, practiced for a year and left without playing a game. You can never stop recruiting these kids now, even when they are on the team. Have to show them the love because lots of other coaches will be trying to get him to decommit. I am looking at this as “we love you and really want you at UConn”. Now or later.
Im sure that’s part of it too but going 2-3 deep on multiple weekends seems more like the entire staff is doing an evaluation. You’re right about having to keep constantly recruiting commits though - we all know the previous regime got lazy there and it burned us

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
How is reclassifying possible for so many of these kids? How do they have enough credits to graduate high school by the end of their 3rd year? Never understood how that worked.

Reaction Score
How is reclassifying possible for so many of these kids? How do they have enough credits to graduate high school by the end of their 3rd year? Never understood how that worked.
Some kids at these athletics focused prep schools probably take summer courses

Reaction Score
I graduated high school over 50 years ago, so I'm not sure of the relevance, but I had enough credits to graduate after my junior year in high school. It took me by surprise at the time, I was just taking the normal load of college prep type classes. My parents wouldn't let me graduate early, it was fine with the school. Still makes me mad! And no, I wasn't an athlete.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
They do and most assuredly are. Getting a real strength coach with you every day is just a different animal.

Some kids they'll send to strength coaches before they enroll--we just can't pay for it. Akok had some really high level training in Glastonbury before he enrolled.
Can our S & C coach do it on zoom and with emails or would that be considered improper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom