2023 Recruiting: - Stephon Castle on Reclassifying | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle on Reclassifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

“I just want fans to know I’m coming to change the culture around there,” he said. “UConn hasn’t been UConn in a minute, and I’m coming to change it.”

Newton High School coach Charlemagne Gibbons has challenged Castle to be a more vocal leader.

“One of the things that we’re pushing right now is just to be more vocal,” Gibbons said. ”The guys follow him because he works extremely hard. As far as being a Division I basketball player, the next step is just being a little more vocal. That’s what he’s working on every day as we speak, so I think he’s going to get there.”

Castle says he is aware of his strengths and flaws on the court.

“I think my biggest strength is my vision,” he said. “It’s overlooked a lot. I’ve always had the vision of a point guard, so that’s what moved me to that spot. I’d say that my biggest weakness is my athleticism.

“I’m not saying I have bad athleticism, but I work on it a lot. I have a 37-inch vertical. I’d say that’s my weakest ability since I pretty much do everything else well.”

Reaction Score

“I just want fans to know I’m coming to change the culture around there,” he said. “UConn hasn’t been UConn in a minute, and I’m coming to change it.”

Newton High School coach Charlemagne Gibbons has challenged Castle to be a more vocal leader.

“One of the things that we’re pushing right now is just to be more vocal,” Gibbons said. ”The guys follow him because he works extremely hard. As far as being a Division I basketball player, the next step is just being a little more vocal. That’s what he’s working on every day as we speak, so I think he’s going to get there.”

“I think my biggest strength is my vision,” he said. “It’s overlooked a lot. I’ve always had the vision of a point guard, so that’s what moved me to that spot. I’d say that my biggest weakness is my athleticism.

“I’m not saying I have bad athleticism, but I work on it a lot. I have a 37-inch vertical. I’d say that’s my weakest ability since I pretty much do everything else well.”

I doubt he'll get the kind of training he needs to keep improving his athleticism in HS. His hops are pretty good and he's strong for his age and size--it's the hip fluidity and foot speed that need some tinkering.

But yeah this kid is going to be a beast. Looks more like a one and done every time I see him.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score

He only jumps 35” higher than I do.

Reaction Score
I doubt he'll get the kind of training he needs to keep improving his athleticism in HS. His hops are pretty good and he's strong for his age and size--it's the hip fluidity and foot speed that need some tinkering.

But yeah this kid is going to be a beast. Looks more like a one and done every time I see him.
Can our training staff give him workout plans or are they not allowed to do that for recruits still in HS?

Reaction Score
Can our training staff give him workout plans or are they not allowed to do that for recruits still in HS?

They do and most assuredly are. Getting a real strength coach with you every day is just a different animal.

Some kids they'll send to strength coaches before they enroll--we just can't pay for it. Akok had some really high level training in Glastonbury before he enrolled.

Reaction Score
UConn hasn’t been UConn in a minute, and I’m coming to change it.”

wow!!!! Totally agree. While last year was progress, it still didn’t feel like UConn just yet. !
If he backs this up he will elected governor in a landslide. People that don’t live in CT don’t get what UConn hoops means to us. I am 67 and there is a group of us that talk every day. Husky men’s hoops dominate every conversation. And we are all crazy sports fans.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Alright Then Keep Your Secrets GIF by hero0fwar

Reaction Score
Most people think reclassifying is just waving a magic wand and you're good to go. It doesn't work like that. It also ignores all of the life implications of skipping your senior year of HS. This isn't just about basketball

I've stated this again and again but reclassifing never made sense from Castles perspective and forcing that onto a kid because your guard depth stinks is a quick way to starting off your post HS career in a bad way.

Let this kid be a kid and we'll get to see him on campus in a year.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Cannot wait for Castle to arrive. He says all the right things and looks ready. Let him arrive on his own time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I think my biggest strength is my vision,” he said. “It’s overlooked a lot. I’ve always had the vision of a point guard, so that’s what moved me to that spot. I’d say that my biggest weakness is my athleticism.

Put scorers around him and let’s go

Reaction Score
Most people think reclassifying is just waving a magic wand and you're good to go. It doesn't work like that. It also ignores all of the life implications of skipping your senior year of HS. This isn't just about basketball

I've stated this again and again but reclassifing never made sense from Castles perspective and forcing that onto a kid because your guard depth stinks is a quick way to starting off your post HS career in a bad way.

Let this kid be a kid and we'll get to see him on campus in a year.

No one is forcing him to do anything.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

My 3.7 inch vertical is also my weakness. Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32