Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]]

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I think that Geno is using a quick hook for every player not named Paige. He hopefully believes that he has a bench that will not miss a beat, so anyone can come off the bench for that spot. Usually when the original player returns, they will step up.
Not so much so far this season. Some are trying too hard while others seem to not play hard enough.
I so want to praise this team and do think that we are a much better team than we have been lately. Something has to turn this team into the team we're all expecting.

Reaction Score
Geno said it all after the game. “Paige can take over a game but it’s not enough”. I don’t know what has happened to this team. It’s not rust. The talent discrepancy in this game was huge. But those turnovers against this team makes you wonder where their minds are at. Paige can win the BE by herself. But it ends there. We know they are better than this because we have seen the same players play like a a well oiled machine. It’s not physical. Do they have a team shrink?

Reaction Score
Ok. Obviously, not an ideal outing. Nika, EW, Caroline and general offensive flow were poor. ONO, AE and Dorka satisfactory. CW fine, but streaky. Paige exceptional - duh.

But here’s what I will say. Something about the last few quarters of this game just felt different than the season thus far - and in a good way. The flow wasn’t perfect, but there were lots of moments where it worked well. Our rebounding and post play was DRAMATICALLY improved from the SC game. AE looked alive and urgent. ONO was aggressive under the bucket. CW fought and fought through poor perimeter shooting to close with a 3.

So, it’s not the Avengers team we thought Geno had assembled. But I’m not throwing in the towel just yet. I thought today was the first time we saw anyone not named Paige really fight for a win, and if that trend continues, I remain hopeful that the shots will start to fall. If we stay hungry, and get out of our own way, I think the team has the inherent skill to contend.

Reaction Score
In the vernacular of the hood, "somethin' ain't right". This does not look anything like the same team, with the same players, as last year. I know it's early in the season, but save for Paige, they just don't look good. Yeah, a 20+ win at a tough court with a tough crowd - but too many things not clicking.
They look exactly like they did last December.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno really appreciated Paige's defense., effort, toughness and especially smarts. He said the best offensive players should make the best defensive players because they should know how an offense flows and what the opposing team wants to do. Alos said Clyde Frasier is his favorite player, My fandom just went up another level

Reaction Score
1. Layoff showed in the 1st Quarter
2. Paige was Paige (God only knows what this team would be without her)
3. ONO and AE were what they are expected to be down low
4. Not a spectacular game from Westbrook tonight
5. Dorka gave some positive minutes off the bench
6. Nika looked horrible, having more fouls than points.
7. Where is Piath and DeBarry ???
8. Caroline plays like the Collegiate Game is WAY bigger than what she is capable of handling
9. Aubrey Griffin's game and spark is greatly missesd
10. Mir looks lost on the court and shows that she doesn't know where she fits in on the offense.

This team needs to be able to "Step It Up" on Sunday against Notre Dame.
So we have this conversation, AFTER the ND game. So far, the Irish look pretty good. Our team has some injured athletes, making the starters have to go longer, without relief. We have three 6'5" players, one has been labeled a project, the other a slow learner, tune in later. But it is still early, way too early to wave the white flag. If we ever get healthy, Geno, CD, and Jamelle will help them jell. In the meantime,
we are a work in progress. Enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Seton Hall game:
  • On paper Seton Hall’s roster might be the second most talented in the BE. Without AEH and several injured teammates, the Pirates still came out playing surprisingly tough, while the Huskies looked flustered and sloppy leading to six 1st qtr turnovers.
  • The rest of the game was a little bit better as the Huskies finally got their heads back from the Bahamas, or wherever they were at. But there were still several head-scratching mistakes by UConn, and the offense in the second half was not particularly good.
  • The Huskies finally demonstrated some toughness on the boards tonight, with a 50 to 30 edge over the Pirates. Now UConn needs to do it every single game.
  • I really don’t like saying this, but I have no idea where the Huskies would be right now without Paige. Whenever she's not in the game the Huskies struggle. Her energy on the floor is phenomenal. Paige ended up with 23 pts, 9 rbs, 7 ast, 5 stls & a bloody nose.
  • Dorka gave us some decent minutes tonight, but UConn needs a lot more from the bench.
  • Nice to see a packed house, even if Walsh Gymnasium is just a bandbox.
  • Bring on the Irish!........I think?
Great words. 1. caution be careful what you wish for (last bullet). Dorka, for a top OHIO post and 3 point shooter, one basket is hardly an accomplishment. Defense on the basket???? Other offense? Dorka was pushed around by a less than Boston Center at S.H., Too many errant passes from experienced players.
I agree, with AEH and without Paige--WELL!!! If not for Paige, some Evina, Edwards, ONO (sometimes) , the outcome may not have been my happy time. To say I was disappointed is accurate. As in all things Uconn I was happy with the win, a W is a W. The only part of the game that matters, the W. Geno is acutely aware of her importance. Someone, anyone, more than one, Excuse me, CW was great again. She can score quickly and often. But beyond CW the list of really good scoring players is dismal. I hoped Caroline would defend and score, Hoped Nika would score. A truly good near great team needs 3 or 4 consistent 15 to 20 point scorers every game. Geno doesn't have them, YET. As much as it doesn't sound so, I love this team, Potential is their middle name.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
With all of this talent....
Touted newcomers....
Sage returnees....
HOF Coach....
Team is a middle of the pack without Paige.
No chemistry
No cohesion
Ducharme showed very little.
Nika lost her shot
Olivia regressing
Stop relying on Paige
Start playing TEAM basketball
IN A P-5 conference, this is a .500 team.
No way this team beats SC away
Unfortunately...
I'll go with the no chemstry, no cohesion assessment, at least on offense. After the first two or three startup passes, there seem to periods of indecision or rote cuts and dribbles. Are they reading the defenses, reading their teammates, seeing open or cutting lanes? Not much spontaneity or fluidity, or making the defense have to move and adjust. For extended moments no one seems open enough to receive a pass and get an open shot. Which may explain why for too many minutes our shots don't fall and our point totals don't rise. That is just not the Uconn offense I had admired for many years. I'm stumped.

Reaction Score
Caroline looks like a "deer in the headlights." In her few 1st half minutes, she dribbled the ball off her foot, committed a silly foul and shot up an airball. :(
She looks like a Freshman who never played for USA basketball and competed in a weak high school league. AAU doesn’t count; everyone is playing for individual attention with almost no coaching. At present, we have no reliable backup guards unless Nika can seriously step up her game or Aubrey can get healthy.

Reaction Score
lol
The teams needs to execute better.
Maybe Geno need to dumb it down for this group.
Throughout the summer, we all gushed about how deep this team is. Well Geno made it official tonight, we have no depth. :confused: More proof that you can’t believe the some of the hype sold here in the yard.
thank you very, very much.
Nice to discover that I’m not the only one with that feeling.
( now I’ll hunker down for the incoming)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She looks like a Freshman who never played for USA basketball and competed in a weak high school league. AAU doesn’t count; everyone is playing for individual attention with almost no coaching. At present, we have no reliable backup guards unless Nika can seriously step up her game or Aubrey can get healthy.
Yes, but she’s playing every day against UConn in practice and Geno & Jamelle rave about her. She was the first player off the bench today, so I have to believe she earned that nod in practice. Her play so far has been baffling.

Reaction Score
Poffenbarger was supposed to be a great shooter, missed virtually every shot she took and then transferred.

Fudd looked tentative and now there is this injury which I don’t remember hearing about, let’s hope its only 2 weeks.

Ducharme is supposed to be a great shooter, haven’t seen it yet and looks overwhelmed.

DeBerry was raved about, but must have left the team or something since she has not appeared for a single minute.

Problem with elite players in youth sports is that they get coddled. By the sounds of some of the mic’ed up stuff from practice, some of them may be expecting what they arent earning.

Reaction Score
Geno really appreciated Paige's defense., effort, toughness and especially smarts. He said the best offensive players should make the best defensive players because they should know how an offense flows and what the opposing team wants to do. Alos said Clyde Frasier is his favorite player, My fandom just went up another level

Reaction Score
1 Dorka is better around the rim and not a passer from the elbow.
2. Aaliyah is better than she is playing 5 turnovers is too many. Reaching for rebounds versus getting a better early position
3. Liv is our rim protector and is a good elbow passer. She is playing tougher so far this year. She has been finishing better. Yeah
4. Evina didn't have a good game tonight after playing well previously.
5. CW is a good player but not great. We got players with ratings. Give me Park lane anytime
6. Paige is the best player in the country again. Geno did a good job getting her rest at the end of quarters. Tremendous defensive effort. Her anticipation for steals is a pleasure to watch.
7. Caroline, Dorka, and Fudd will give us depth. Aubrey if healthy will as well.

Reaction Score
1 Dorka is better around the rim and not a passer from the elbow.
2. Aaliyah is better than she is playing 5 turnovers is too many. Reaching for rebounds versus getting a better early position
3. Liv is our rim protector and is a good elbow passer. She is playing tougher so far this year. She has been finishing better. Yeah
4. Evina didn't have a good game tonight after playing well previously.
5. CW is a good player but not great. We got players with ratings. Give me Park lane anytime
6. Paige is the best player in the country again. Geno did a good job getting her rest at the end of quarters. Tremendous defensive effort. Her anticipation for steals is a pleasure to watch.
7. Caroline, Dorka, and Fudd will give us depth. Aubrey if healthy will as well.
this

Reaction Score
lol
The teams needs to execute better.
And this team will execute better overall if they have a healthy and hopefully decent enough defender in Azzi Fudd.

It's the same story as last year. The guards other than Paige can't consistently hit outside shots. As a result, UCONN can’t consistently open up the lane and can’t consistently work on their inside players getting enough touches to improve much. Then what it means is that because UICONN doesn’t have any consistency from the perimeter other than Paige, then Paige is forced to play a lot of minutes beucase she is the only one that can consistently score in the halfcourt.

Right now if you were to employ a defense it would be defend one player as much as possible and just pack the paint (take your chances with CW and Evina hitting.). Offensive execution overall will improve if Azzi is healthy and has her legs and if she can defend. Until then – anytime they play any team that is decent to pretty good never mind very good, Paige is going to have to play a lot of minutes and the offense will struggle more than it otherwise should (get too many games like this which eventually will catch up to you; i.e. FF etc). There is just too much “clutter” inside and the guards other than Paige can’t shoot it well enough to break the clutter.

And imo this year CD is not an answer. Right now for uCONN the games come down to CW hitting outside shots, and Evina in combo not only can she hit outside shots but if she can then be able to shoot enough of them.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom