September recruiting thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

September recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with the “go after Shade” sentiment but Arnold is the one we should sign for the point. If we can get Arnold, Shade, Booker/Williams, and Toomey/Cunningham, I think we can all be assured of a continuation of the UConn juggernaut.
Not gonna happen. They all want to be the face of a program. I have a feeling about my sixth sense and it’s telling me to write this so I’ll get likes and can increase my dollar amount for my NIL which I will use to help the entire time so that it’s fair and I can buy them pizza if my brand coach tells me it’s ok so my team won’t be mad at me and throw games. I got this all figured out. I will commit to Tennessee because rankings don’t matter and Geno didn’t rank Candace high enough so she dunked on him, well not actually him, and Geno told the US committee to keep her off the team. I could go on forever…….Oh and Pat. Always have to mention Pat.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Re Z. Jones in my early days we would have called her a hot dog. Hard to tell from a high lite videos, it appears she is a shoot first player. Hope she brings her jumper a little higher, a number of her shots start mid torso. Loved her defense and she's not afraid to leave her feet a jump. Worth following for sure. :)

Reaction Score
We are not desperate to pick up a point guard in 22, and in my opinion, we don't need one now. We have Paige, Nika, and Azzi for 2 and 3 more years after this season. KiKi is not coming here, and besides the academics, she would not get a lot of PT with the roster we have. In 23 the roster thins out a little, and we can see openings and PT availability for any new recruits that we bring on. Paige and Nika will be seniors and we will be looking for a replacement at the point the next year. This IMHO is the critical time to pick one up, with only a small group able to fill this need. I think 22 is too early, 24 is too late. 23 is the time, thus I hope the coaches all put the time in to secure this important position in this class. Go after Shade at all costs.
agreed Huskie, looking at depth chart for Uconn guards are listed: Paige, Fudd, Muhl, Ducharme,Saylor,Ducharme. Also I don't have Kiki going to Duke I just thought it be nice to see her play with Barker. 90% she goes to Stanford

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
agreed Huskie, looking at depth chart for Uconn guards are listed: Paige, Fudd, Muhl, Ducharme,Saylor,Ducharme. Also I don't have Kiki going to Duke I just thought it be nice to see her play with Barker. 90% she goes to Stanford
Rice is still very much in the picture for UConn. The Stanford fans believe she’s heading somewhere other than Palo Alto. Caroline & Saylor both strike me as sf/wings. As I look at it, Rice is a big, athletic combo guard and tough defender who fits into the lineup a lot of places. Whether it’s Rice or someone else, I don’t think Geno is done recruiting for 2022.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rice is still very much in the picture for UConn. The Stanford fans believe she’s heading somewhere other than Palo Alto. Caroline & Saylor both strike me as sf/wings. As I look at it, Rice is a big, athletic combo guard and tough defender who fits into the lineup a lot of places. Whether it’s Rice or someone else, I don’t think Geno is done recruiting for 2022.
I see Rice in a role much like Nurse had when Nurse was at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Re Z. Jones in my early days we would have called her a hot dog. Hard to tell from a high lite videos, it appears she is a shoot first player. Hope she brings her jumper a little higher, a number of her shots start mid torso. Loved her defense and she's not afraid to leave her feet a jump. Worth following for sure. :)
I remember the early days. Even today this kid is still a hot dog- there I said it. She is still young and will probably grows out of it- I hope. Hot dogs have their function-for me they make me appreciate the kids who respect the game, the opponent and the talent they have been given even more. Hot dogs don't usually end up at UCONN-but as I said she is young.

Reaction Score
I remember the early days. Even today this kid is still a hot dog- there I said it. She is still young and will probably grows out of it- I hope. Hot dogs have their function-for me they make me appreciate the kids who respect the game, the opponent and the talent they have been given even more. Hot dogs don't usually end up at UCONN-but as I said she is young.
She is not a hotdog. Her coach is a pushover otherwise that wouldn’t happen. She will grow and be coached out of it by the right coach. Young yes, killer yes, mamba mentality yes!!! Keep her on UConn watchlist!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is not a hotdog. Her coach is a pushover otherwise that wouldn’t happen. She will grow and be coached out of it by the right coach. Young yes, killer yes, mamba mentality yes!!! Keep her on UConn watchlist!
Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

It was the multiple 360 breakaway layups that did it for me. The only watchlist I'm gonna keep her on is the Keep her far away from UCONN. This is not about coaching or basketball, it is mainly about a missing life lesson of respect for anything besides oneself.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I just watched eight minutes of her and saw only once instance of hot dogging (when she did a 360 in the air when she was alone). I absolutely do not like hotdogging and did not see it in her. She reminds me of ND's Miles.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
I agree. Also don't forget Kiki's friendship with Saylor goes way back. Kiki played with Saylor on the Fairfax Stars and the U16 FIBA champs.

Reaction Score
Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

It was the multiple 360 breakaway layups that did it for me. The only watchlist I'm gonna keep her on is the Keep her far away from UCONN. This is not about coaching or basketball, it is mainly about a missing life lesson of respect for anything besides oneself.
She is young so who do you really fault?

Reaction Score
I just watched eight minutes of her and saw only once instance of hot dogging (when she did a 360 in the air when she was alone). I absolutely do not like hotdogging and did not see it in her. She reminds me of ND's Miles.
It’s the glasses.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
0% chance Kiki goes to Uconn, she is not gonna be in the shadow of Paige and Azzi she wants to be the face of a program and she deserves that opportunity. I watched the 3X3 highlights and I couldn't stop noticing her chemistry with Barker who is the #2 recruit and she is #5. I looked at their schools of interest and thought would be nice if they play together and saw one common school DUKE. If Kara can pull that off, the landscape of wbb will change for that program

:):):):):)

With the recent addition of Day-Wilson, could the same not be said about Duke? Also, with two guards already committed for 2022, would Duke be the right fit for her now?

:(:(:oops::oops::oops:

Reaction Score
agreed and not just because of the glasses......

Reaction Score
I see Rice in a role much like Nurse had when Nurse was at UConn.
I think the best possible comparison for a potential role for Rice is Evina. Their games are very very similar in my opinion. Both have enough size and versatile skills to be quite comfortable at 1-3. Remember Evina was a point guard at Tennessee, but here with Paige and Nika she was not needed much there, and as a "swiss army knife" became more of a 2/3 and even played some at the 4.

I agree with some here that a PG is not "needed" in 22, but I don't think of Rice as a pure point guard, but rather a three position player who on this team would be more of a 2/3, and next year we lose two of those in Christyn and Evina, and Rice appears to be about as close to a clone of Evina as I can imagine.

So I think she could clearly find a role next year, the question is how big a role is required for her to be interested. I don't think she views herself just as a point guard, or we wouldn't still be in the mix. I suspect she also knows with two generational talents at PG (Paige) and SG (Azzi) that starting at either of those positions is extremely unlikely until they graduate. Her only realistic shot at starting in the first couple of years would be at the 3. There she still would have serious potential competition from Caroline and others, but in Evina she has an excellent exhibit A of how a big point guard can and has made that transaction successfully at Uconn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the best possible comparison for a potential role for Rice is Evina. Their games are very very similar in my opinion. Both have enough size and versatile skills to be quite comfortable at 1-3. Remember Evina was a point guard at Tennessee, but here with Paige and Nika she was not needed much there, and as a "swiss army knife" became more of a 2/3 and even played some at the 4.

I agree with some here that a PG is not "needed" in 22, but I don't think of Rice as a pure point guard, but rather a three position player who on this team would be more of a 2/3, and next year we lose two of those in Christyn and Evina, and Rice appears to be about as close to a clone of Evina as I can imagine.

So I think she could clearly find a role next year, the question is how big a role is required for her to be interested. I don't think she views herself just as a point guard, or we wouldn't still be in the mix. I suspect she also knows with two generational talents at PG (Paige) and SG (Azzi) that starting at either of those positions is extremely unlikely until they graduate. Her only realistic shot at starting in the first couple of years would be at the 3. There she still would have serious potential competition from Caroline and others, but in Evina she has an excellent exhibit A of how a big point guard can and has made that transaction successfully at Uconn.
In a world of positionless basketball there are no pg’s and shooting guards, or everyone is a pg and shooting guard. For much of last season, UConn started 4 guards, 3 of which (Paige, Evina, Nika) would all take turns running the offense at times. So let’s call them all combo guards.

This year, with the addition of Azzi, UConn adds yet another combo guard capable of both running the offense and playing off the ball. Hopefully, Rice will join the party next season and fit right in.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps you missed these additional hotdog moments:
:29 She blocks a shot out of bounds and immediately turns to the opponent and starts flexing and talking trash.
1:09 She slaps an opponent on the backside. *
1:51 The extended gooseneck pose after draining the long three.
2:13 Another extended gooseneck pose.
2:21 The bicep curl flex after making a stinking layup.
3:08 The arrogant slow strut and stare after making a shot to end the half.

* That girl took it pretty well and certainly much better than any player I have ever coached.

Reaction Score
I hope she's not a hot dog! Hot dogs take 34 minutes off your life!:D

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
In a world of positionless basketball there are no pg’s and shooting guards, or everyone is a pg and shooting guard. For much of last season, UConn started 4 guards, 3 of which (Paige, Evina, Nika) would all take turns running the offense at times. So let’s call them all combo guards.

This year, with the addition of Azzi, UConn adds yet another combo guard capable of both running the offense and playing off the ball. Hopefully, Rice will join the party next season and fit right in.
We can all hope. I really like KiKi, and I would be thrilled if she decided on us. I can honestly say that I wasn't a fan of KK, and us not on her list doesn't bother me in the least. What I want to know is when will some of these girls come for a visit? To be more to the point, when will KiKi come up here? I haven't heard of her visiting anywhere that I know of, so does anyone have any inside info on that? It doesn't matter what Board you are reading, everyone wants her, but everything about her seems to be speculation. Sometimes I think these girls are playing us and every other school on their list. LOL. Still want Shade though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We can all hope. I really like KiKi, and I would be thrilled if she decided on us. I can honestly say that I wasn't a fan of KK, and us not on her list doesn't bother me in the least. What I want to know is when will some of these girls come for a visit? To be more to the point, when will KiKi come up here? I haven't heard of her visiting anywhere that I know of, so does anyone have any inside info on that? It doesn't matter what Board you are reading, everyone wants her, but everything about her seems to be speculation. Sometimes I think these girls are playing us and every other school on their list. LOL. Still want Shade though.
The pandemic has certainly impacted recruiting visits. I haven’t heard of Rice visiting anywhere. Hopefully she can make a visit this fall, perhaps for 1st night, assuming that basketball event returns this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom