September recruiting thread | The Boneyard

September recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Picking up on the KK Bransford entries from the August thread:
  • To the best of my knowledge, ND is still on that Top 8 list.
  • There were reports she took an unofficial visit to ND this summer. Cincy is not a far drive from South Bend, so the fam/friends can make it a road trip. Ditto Louisville and Michigan. That can expand coverage.
  • And, there's one I'm certain I've read about her: she wants to be thorough.
  • BTW, regarding the attribution of the UConn/ND "no go" quote: I, too, have heard both opinions (her/a friend). Given the post has gone "poof," I guess we'll have to see.

As for ND, they've made offers to a bunch of scoring guards and wings in 2023, so they're obviously making sure there are options.

Reaction Score
I thought it would be useful to review the status of recruiting. This is where I think we stand:
Class of 2022:
Commits:

Isuneh Brady, 6-4, San Diego, Blue Star #5
Ayanna Petterson, 6-3, Fort Wayne NJ, BS#6
Still in the hunt:
Kiki Rice, 5-11n Washington DC, BS#7
KK Bransford, 5-10, Cincinnati, BS#4
T'yana Todd, 6-0, Canada

Class of 2023 (no commits)
Kamora Arnold 5-8, Germantown WI, (offered in July)< BS#8, #6 in Hoopgurlz
Breya Cunningham, 6-4, San Diego, (in her final group), BS# 4, #4 in Hoopgurlz
Ashlynn Shade, 5-10, Noblesville IM, (final group), #5 in Hoopgurlz
Madison Booker, 6-1, Germantown High, Madison MS, BS#5, #7 in Hoopgurlz
Ciera Toomey 6-4, Dunmore PA, (offered July), #14 in Hoopgurlz
Riley Stack 6-4 Piedmont SC, (no offer?)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought it would be useful to review the status of recruiting. This is where I think we stand:
Class of 2022:
Commits:

Isuneh Brady, 6-4, San Diego, Blue Star #5
Ayanna Petterson, 6-3, Fort Wayne NJ, BS#6
Still in the hunt:
Kiki Rice, 5-11n Washington DC, BS#7
KK Bransford, 5-10, Cincinnati, BS#4
T'yana Todd, 6-0, Canada

Class of 2023 (no commits)
Kamora Arnold 5-8, Germantown WI, (offered in July)< BS#8, #6 in Hoopgurlz
Breya Cunningham, 6-4, San Diego, (in her final group), BS# 4, #4 in Hoopgurlz
Ashlynn Shade, 5-10, Noblesville IM, (final group), #5 in Hoopgurlz
Madison Booker, 6-1, Germantown High, Madison MS, BS#5, #7 in Hoopgurlz
Ciera Toomey 6-4, Dunmore PA, (offered July), #14 in Hoopgurlz
Riley Stack 6-4 Piedmont SC, (no offer?)
Thanks for this list Glenn. The first opportunity to sign an official Letter of Intent (LOI) for high school seniors in 2021 is quickly approaching (Nov 10-17, 2021). A query to anyone that follows the recruitment trail (closer than I do):

In your informed opinion, do you think UConn will get another commitment besides those of Brady and Patterson from the class of 2022 in the next 9 weeks? Is there another recruit from THIS class (Rice, Bransford or Todd) that's leaning so hard towards UConn that she needs a brace/support to remain upright? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for this list Glenn. The first opportunity to sign an official Letter of Intent (LOI) for high school seniors in 2021 is quickly approaching (Nov 10-17, 2021). A query to anyone that follows the recruitment trail (closer than I do):

In your informed opinion, do you think UConn will get another commitment besides those of Brady and Patterson from the class of 2022 in the next 9 weeks? Is there another recruit from THIS class (Rice, Bransford or Todd) that's leaning so hard towards UConn that she needs a brace/support to remain upright? :rolleyes:
The only possibility I see is Rice, and that's very slight. I just think guards see major road blocks to PT over the next 2-3 years. Bransford wouldn't dent the rotation at UConn and I very much doubt that Todd has an offer. As for others, no, I think UConn is done for '22.

Reaction Score
The only possibility I see is Rice, and that's very slight. I just think guards see major road blocks to PT over the next 2-3 years. Bransford wouldn't dent the rotation at UConn and I very much doubt that Todd has an offer. As for others, no, I think UConn is done for '22.
I would have to agree. Although I would be really happy to get Rice and think she would fit in perfectly, but you’re right there are major blocks for playing time especially for her as an underclassman. I think we’ll also see Uconn use the transfer portal more and continue to bring in quality players, which is exciting.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thanks BobbyJ. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
We like bullies at UConn. We'd love to have her. She'd "flourish" in our program. There's plenty of room and opportunity for her to grow and create her own "legacy" at UConn for younger players to aspire to emulate. Your height and skillset will make room for you. Come to UConn Aalyah, your destiny awaits you. :)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for this list Glenn. The first opportunity to sign an official Letter of Intent (LOI) for high school seniors in 2021 is quickly approaching (Nov 10-17, 2021). A query to anyone that follows the recruitment trail (closer than I do):In your informed opinion, do you think UConn will get another commitment besides those of Brady and Patterson from the class of 2022 in the next 9 weeks? Is there another recruit from THIS class (Rice, Bransford or Todd) that's leaning so hard towards UConn that she needs a brace/support to remain upright? :rolleyes:
I do. The reason I say this is prior to the Patterson commitment Geno was quoted as saying looks like we are going to get some other (players)-as in plural.

Reaction Score
I do. The reason I say this is prior to the Patterson commitment Geno was quoted as saying looks like we are going to get some other (players)-as in plural.

Im pretty sure he said that knowing Patterson was coming

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation report on Chloe Kitts:

Coming off of the summer where I saw Kitts play on a couple of occasions, her length and skill set intrigued me. During our two workouts this week, Kitts impressed me with her ability to take instruction and implement the technique quickly. In that way, she has some similarities to Shay Bollin and Caroline Ducharme during our Rhode Island Academy last winter. Kitts moves really well with the ball. In handling the length of the floor, her left to right crossover into mid range jumpers caught my attention. There’s a ceiling for her potential that is amongst the elite prospects regardless of age. Her current recruiting reflects that. For Kitts, that next step is all about dialing into the details on a daily basis. Her talent level is undeniable.

Seeing Kitts really explode on the national scene the last 12 months has been fun to watch having seen her at such a young age in the Pacific Northwest. She’s a rare prospect that can be really good in ball screen action from either spot. Seeing her attention to detail in working as the ballhandler and how much pressure she can put on a hedge defender with her length and ability to burst downhill was great to watch in Boise. What she doesn’t get enough credit for, regardless of what position she’s playing, is her passing. Yes, she can sprint the floor and attack the glass. Yes, her effort defensively stands out. Yes, her jumper has improved tremendously the last six months, but she’s really dangerous because of her ability to make teammates better.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
He did but he made a distinction between the two (Patterson/Brady) and saying "we're not done with that year, there'll be another kid in that class, or two."
The multiples could be Patterson and Dorka who committed after the comment. I too would love to see KiKi here. We actually have one pure point guard in Nika. I know many others can play it but KiKi and Nika would be our only dedicated points.

Reaction Score
then you could have chloe kitts to kiki to nika to kk for the jumper.. good ! :)

Reaction Score
The multiples could be Patterson and Dorka who committed after the comment. I too would love to see KiKi here. We actually have one pure point guard in Nika. I know many others can play it but KiKi and Nika would be our only dedicated points.
Just because Paige can play off the ball doesn’t mean she is not a
point guard. She is clearly the best pg on this team, which obviously means she is a better pg than Nika! Therefore, your contention that we only have one pure pg must be wrong! I’ve watched Kiki on numerous occasions and imo she is (though capable at the point) far less of a “pure” pg than Paige. In fact, I would say she (Kiki) is closer to a combo guard than a pure pg. Having said that, I must admit that she (Kiki) has shown tremendous growth over the past year or so and whereas I had concluded that we were better off waiting for Arnold in “23”, I am now waffling on that point. Let’s just say I’d be happy with either one (or both)!

Reaction Score
I don't quite see Kiki's more likely role as a point guard. Can she play it? Sure, but Paige is as good as a point guard can get and Nika is pretty much just a point guard. IMO Kiki's value to this team and roster would be her ability to play 3 positions. She has the size and skills to play 2/3 in much the same way as Evina has.

In fact that is how I would view her, as an Evina replacement. Remember Evina was a point guard at Tennessee, but played mostly 2/3 for us and actually more at the 4 than the point. She too could have been an above average PG for us, but with Paige and Nika was needed more at other positions. Kiki at 5-11 is very similar in size and skillset to Evina with versatile skills.

The question may be how much Kiki wants to be a point guard, or a starter. With Paige and Azzi being anticipated future starters and two very good point guards, her most realistic crack at starting might be as a 3. There she would face competition from a player who likely would be good offensively there (CD) and potentially from a player that could be a lock-down defender there in AP.

I feel she could be a very good rotation contributor on a great team, and probably play in the WNBA, whether she starts here or not. The fact that we are still in the hunt despite her knowing we already have Paige and Nika and Azzi, tells me she has not ruled us out, but if she is hesitating because of position or the chance of starting, I think she should take a hard look at how Evina is used here. A new "swiss army knife" is a role she could fill, but she would have to let someone else take over initially as the new "mom"! Ha!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey has begun following 2025 forward Priyanka Ponnam out of New Jersey.

Ponnam is an AAU teammate of '23 Hannah Hidalgo and just won a 3x3 event playing with '25 Aaliayh Chavez at Blue Star's camp.

Priyanka Ponnam, Forward 2025:

A brick wall when it comes to the paint. Ponman dominated the offensive and defensive glass all weekend. She’s able to finish at both sides of the hoop, and sink her free throws. While in the post, she showed off her vision with some crisp passes to her teammates too. Priyanka has a very bright future in the making.

Priyanka Ponnam (6’1”, 2025): Usually at individual showcase events, it’s the guards that make more of a name for themselves. Here though, some bigs really caught my eye in the younger session, and Priyanka was one of the main forces. The NJ native has a good body already and is ahead of the curve at her size/age with coordination and ability to make fluid basketball movements. She can play with her back to the basket or face up, and she’s also comfortable stepping out to the 3 point line, where I watched her pull another big out to and attack off the dribble. Priyanka has major upside and if she realizes what I think her potential is over time, the sky's the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom