SEC Regular Season 2023 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SEC Regular Season 2023

Reaction Score
That was an ugly game. Reese and Flaujae were good but LSU's third guard position outside of Morris/Flaujae is a hot mess of inconsistency. Morris also has to be better than that, getting benched for lack of effort and pouting early isn't good. This team isn't very deep as is.

Carson goes cold way too often and the other one, Poole, can be Mrs Turnover machine. Poa was solid though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was an ugly game. Reese and Flaujae were good but LSU's third guard position outside of Morris/Flaujae is a hot mess of inconsistency. Morris also has to be better than that, getting benched for lack of effort and pouting early isn't good. This team isn't very deep as is.

Carson goes cold way too often and the other other Poole can be Mrs Turnover machine. Poa was solid though.
I’d agree with this. I’ve watched parts of several games this season but tonight was the first entire game. I like the frontcourt rotation of A Reese, L Williams and S Smith. A Morris is an emotional player but unreal talented. F Johnson looked good tonight and in other games I’ve watched. Otherwise it was hit or miss for me on my opinion of the other players. If LSU is going to make a deep run, which they certainly are capable, then at least one other guard has to get more consistent.

Reaction Score
I’d agree with this. I’ve watched parts of several games this season but tonight was the first entire game. I like the frontcourt rotation of A Reese, L Williams and S Smith. A Morris is an emotional player but unreal talented. F Johnson looked good tonight and in other games I’ve watched. Otherwise it was hit or miss for me on my opinion of the other players. If LSU is going to make a deep run, which they certainly are capable, then at least one other guard has to get more consistent.
They want Carson because when she is clicking LSU is lights out significantly better because she can stretch the floor. Poole is a great defender and allows Morris to move off the ball but she isn't going to be some proficient scorer but will hit the occasional three and some layups.Poa is solid and our best free throw shooter but she seems highly inconsistent shooting the ball. I do think LSU's offense is a rough fit for her style of play offensively but she's good depth wise and is a nice little glue player.

Another reason I'm not happy about Ryan Payne quitting basketball in the middle of the year for not playing enough. Quite frankly at times I think they could use her. Outside of that LSU is truly working with 9 players, Alisa Williams is a project and 2 other kids are walk ons.

But the bottom line is when Carson or Poole aren't hitting their shots, Morris needs to move into a scoring role but I know she is moved into a distributor role more so this year.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A Reese with 26 points and 28 rebounds tonight. That is insane.
I just watched the game until the 4th. Crazy thing is it didn’t feel like she was even having a great game but she kept working her tail off and got rebounds/drew fouls. Her hands are magnets, plus has an unbelievable knack for just knowing where to be and when. Midway through the 2nd quarter she had 16 rebounds.

On offense she was exclusively on the block. Didn’t she leave Maryland because she didn’t want to be a center? She’s more relegated to the post now than she was under Brenda. At any rate, Reese is a handful for any opposing coach.

Flaujae Johnson is an absolute stud athlete. Peck called it out, she looks like Kahleah Copper 2.0 with her jumping and ability to finish smoothly around the basket. I think she’s going to be one of the very best players from her class.

Reaction Score
SEC POY if you ask me.

Amazon Studios Period GIF by Amazon Prime Video
I was equally impressed with her versatility on defense. She is an amazing player.

Reaction Score
On offense she was exclusively on the block. Didn’t she leave Maryland because she didn’t want to be a center? She’s more relegated to the post now than she was under Brenda. At any rate, Reese is a handful for any opposing coach.
Shakira Austin said the same thing and she wound up on down low for Coach Yo at Ole Miss.

Right now Reese is the SEC POY and a first team All American.

Reaction Score
Coming from a fan of neither schools it’s insane to think that Reese is not the favorite for SEC POY

Reaction Score
Coming from a fan of neither schools it’s insane to think that Reese is not the favorite for SEC POY
Right now i agree she is , im still not convinced though with LSU. Last night they played a dismantled A&M team with 7 players in rotation and one having 3 fouls by the end of the 3rd qtr . Great performance by reese with the 20 / 20 game but i mean she has yet to face a true talented big.

Reaction Score
She used to come out to the top of the key more often but lately has been posting in the paint strictly for some reason. They need to move her outside more so the paint isn't always clogged up. But the paint will be clogged routinely with her in the game. Which is why its important Morris, Carson and Flaujae hit the perimeter jumpers. Flaujae and Morris have, Carson not so much... Carson holds this team back offensively at times. I can live with Reese missing layups as she has three or four bodies on her, Carson gets NOTHING but wide open looks so I have less patience for her misses.

But LSU is still too inconsistent. They haven't put it all together yet. I do think the defense is much better than last years group, having mobile athletic bigs like Smith, Reese and Ladazhia you can see a significant difference. Its a much longer and quicker LSU team. The offense is too hit or miss right now. Carson doesn't show up every game and Morris is often too passive in her new role versus the scoring machine she was last season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She used to come out to the top of the key more often but lately has been posting in the paint strictly for some reason. They need to move her outside more so the paint isn't always clogged up. But the paint will be clogged routinely with her in the game. Which is why its important Morris, Carson and Flaujae hit the perimeter jumpers. Flaujae and Morris have, Carson not so much... Carson holds this team back offensively at times. I can live with Reese missing layups as she has three or four bodies on her, Carson gets NOTHING but wide open looks so I have less patience for her misses.

But LSU is still too inconsistent. They haven't put it all together yet. I do think the defense is much better than last years group, having mobile athletic bigs like Smith, Reese and Ladazhia you can see a significant difference. Its a much longer and quicker LSU team. The offense is too hit or miss right now. Carson doesn't show up every game and Morris is often too passive in her new role versus the scoring machine she was last season.
Really good synopsis. Looking forward to seeing them more in SEC play. I think most who watched felt a little eh about the game but beating any conference foe by 40 points is quite impressive.

Reaction Score
Marta Suarezz leaving the Vols program mid-season. Not a playing time issue but a personal issue. She is headed back to Spain.

Reaction Score
I think LSU will be a team that will grow through the SEC season. I don’t think they were challenged enough in the non conference (obviously) and other than a really good game against Arkansas hasn’t really played a NCAA tournament team. But like previously stated its gonna come down to the improvements of the guards. Especially the younger ones in Poa and Poole. But Falujae continues to impress me, and wow Angel Reese has blown away my expectations.

But Mulkey is building something very good at LSU. Between what they already have in Reese and Johnson, I think next year when they add the number one recruit is where you see them blossom. Im excited to see how they continue to grow and finish this year off.

Reaction Score
If you play defense and rebound and have a dominant post player you're going to win a ton of games in NCAAW.

LSU probably won't run the table, but I don't see a lot in the SEC to give them much trouble.

I'd put their over/under for league wins at 13.

Reaction Score
But Mulkey is building something very good at LSU. Between what they already have in Reese and Johnson, I think next year when they add the number one recruit is where you see them blossom. Im excited to see how they continue to grow and finish this year off.
I wonder if Del Rosario will be more impactful than Williams. Tough situation to be in, to have two great recruits.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Del Rosario will be more impactful than Williams. Tough situation to be in, to have two great recruits.
Both play different positions. Rosario is a center and Williams is a off guard/wing. Williams will be a day one starter like Flaujae this year. Rosario will play a lot but I suspect Kim will go grab an experienced big out the portal to help bring her along. Talented as she is she still needs more time to polish and get in better shape.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's still early in SEC play but coach Yo seems to have retained the momentum from last year. I don't think anyone had them pegged to be battling for the top of the SEC after Shakira Austin graduated. If things keep going their way, it seems like they'll secure a bye in the SEC tournament. They look to be emerging as the #4 team in the SEC. I think the winner of Ole Miss v. Arkansas will get fourth in the conference.

Reaction Score
It's still early in SEC play but coach Yo seems to have retained the momentum from last year. I don't think anyone had them pegged to be battling for the top of the SEC after Shakira Austin graduated. If things keep going their way, it seems like they'll secure a bye in the SEC tournament. They look to be emerging as the #4 team in the SEC. I think the winner of Ole Miss v. Arkansas will get fourth in the conference.
Another school that had a fairly embarrassing non-conference schedule.

But I haven't seen them so maybe they are playing well.

Reaction Score
Another school that had a fairly embarrassing non-conference schedule.

But I haven't seen them so maybe they are playing well.
They are barely top 25 in my methodology because they have not suffered more losses than Quad one wins.

They are 2-2 in Quad One with a close loss to Utah and a loss to Oklahoma. Their two wins are Georgia and Miss State. No losses in the other quads

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Didn’t see today’s SC game but looks like Raven Johnson is rounding into form after a rough start early. Adding in a consistent playmaker and perimeter threat will be huge for SC if she continues on this trajectory.

Reaction Score
Didn’t see today’s SC game but looks like Raven Johnson is rounding into form after a rough start early. Adding in a consistent playmaker and perimeter threat will be huge for SC if she continues on this trajectory.
Raven looked pretty darn good out there. The last few games she has been getting better and looking comfortable. I love her court vision on offense. Her defense is outstanding and that is going to make South Carolina that dangerous. With Coach Staley being able to switch Johnson and Fletcher up like that.....Oh boy!!

Reaction Score
South Carolina reminding me so much of that UNLV men's squad that won the NCAA title back in the 90s. South Carolina already got a solid defense but now their offense is getting better, and they are making game adjustments at the right time. They are rounding into March Madness form.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Did you like the blue uniforms Tennessee had today?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom