SEC Regular Season 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SEC Regular Season 2023

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 11.15.05 PM.png

Opening Night

Reaction Score
The result of that would probably be worse teams getting in the tournament.
I agree that it definitely would allow worse teams in the tournament. Let each team stand on its own merit. The automatic qualifiers from each conference gives us plenty of Cinderella opportunities and first round blowouts.

Reaction Score
I agree that it definitely would allow worse teams in the tournament. Let each team stand on its own merit. The automatic qualifiers from each conference gives us plenty of Cinderella opportunities and first round blowouts.
When was the last time a school with a losing record in the conference got maybe 1 win in the tournament? Would put even more excitement in the regular season.

Reaction Score
When was the last time a school with a losing record in the conference got maybe 1 win in the tournament? Would put even more excitement in the regular season.
so putting in the third or fourth best team from a mid major is going to make that better?

Reaction Score
Mississippi State with a good SEC opening win at Vanderbilt. J Carter with 21 and 10. Annie Hayes with 7 assists. Four players in double figures and another with nine.

Really like how the team is playing. Both Carter and Anne are doing what I expected but the rest of the team is exceeding my expectations. These guys are fast, quick, and physical, I just hope they can keep it going against the elites of the conference.

Reaction Score
Really like how the team is playing. Both Carter and Anne are doing what I expected but the rest of the team is exceeding my expectations. These guys are fast, quick, and physical, I just hope they can keep it going against the elites of the conference.
Coach Purcell's imprint is starting to take effect. Haven't gotten to see them play yet, but the sense I get from reading comments on the board indicate that he's had quite an impact since taking over the program. He was a key cog for Louisville and their success from a coaching perspective. Now we're getting to see why.

Reaction Score
Coach Purcell's imprint is starting to take effect. Haven't gotten to see them play yet, but the sense I get from reading comments on the board indicate that he's had quite an impact since taking over the program. He was a key cog for Louisville and their success from a coaching perspective. Now we're getting to see why.
I was surprised when he utilized the 1-3-1 zone with the occasional trap so much on defense but it has been very effective in the last few games.

Reaction Score
so putting in the third or fourth best team from a mid major is going to make that better?
No, but should the Regular season champion in a mid-major not get an opportunity because they lost in the tournament, but the 8th place team in the SEC, with a losing conference record, does?

Last edited:

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Coach Purcell seems to have righted the ship at State. Not elite level but hopefully very competitive this year and back in the top half of the conference. Basketball is fun again in the Hump for the women and the men (even though this is a WBB forum).

Reaction Score
Coach Purcell seems to have righted the ship at State. Not elite level but hopefully very competitive this year and back in the top half of the conference. Basketball is fun again in the Hump for the women and the men (even though this is a WBB forum).
Hope it it SRO for the Ole Miss game today!

Reaction Score
Everything does appear to be falling into place. The two biggest questions now are post depth and Annie Hayes. R Parker hasn’t been with the team since the first part of December. To date Coach Purcell hasn’t addressed the specific issue publicly. Without her D Carter is the next best option in the post. However that takes her away from the four, the position where she is most effective. Annie Hayes is still adjusting to playing more of a facilitator role and is still sometimes is a little hesitant on when to look for her own shot.

Reaction Score
No, but should the Regular season champion in a mid-major not get an opportunity because they lost in the tournament, but the 8th place team in the SEC, with a losing conference record, does?
I think small conferences should probably not hold conference tournaments or designate the regular season champion as their ncaa representative.

Passed over regular season champions from one bid leagues do not even generally fair well in the NIT.

I think they have only their leagues and their own performances to blame for undervaluing their season of work.

I'm fine for te record with the NIT taking them over also ran major conference teams, though they likely aren't better and it has probably made that tournament even less relevant if that was possible.

And this is from a fan who actually very much enjoyed NIT Dave Odom's exploits in that tournament.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The win today is number 500 at TBA.

Reaction Score
I watched the Ole Miss / Miss State game today. Ole Miss looks like a tourney team to me. I think they end up in the top 1/3 of the conference (4 to 6 range). They have some playmakers on offense and are tough on defense.

Reaction Score
I watched the Ole Miss / Miss State game today. Ole Miss looks like a tourney team to me. I think they end up in the top 1/3 of the conference (4 to 6 range). They have some playmakers on offense and are tough on defense.
Honestly Ole Miss looks better collectively as a team this year than they did with Austin last year. At least thats my take so far watching them in a limited matter.

Reaction Score
Tennessee really showing what a schedule can do for you.

LSU really showing that maybe it doesn't matter.

I do think LSU is really good though.

I was pretty high on Alabama compared to expectation here and NET wise that seems justified.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee really showing what a schedule can do for you.

LSU really showing that maybe it doesn't matter.

I do think LSU is really good though.

I was pretty high on Alabama compared to expectation here and NET wise that seems justified.
I think the tough schedule has helped the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom