Scrimmage Highlights | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Scrimmage Highlights

Reaction Score
Our new portal guys will be much more effective within our offensive scheme benefiting from a stronger supporting cast than on their previous teams where they frequently had to create shots/lower percentage shots with less talented teammates. Just get to your spots and the ball will find you.

Looks like AS and DC are going to make each other much better players(in practice) for BE wars.AS showing some moves we have not seen before.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My observations:

1. How many post finishes in these 2 videos for Sanogo? Don might be having a Kalkbrenner type impact on defense.

2. Didn’t see Alex anywhere, but that might be on me. Anyone else see him? Would suck if he was injured.

3. Hawkins/Andre taking each other in these games is great. Probably not a ton of scoring from these guys guarding each other.

4. Donovan Clingan is tall.

5. With the hype surrounding Joey C, and seeing him more featured in these videos, makes me wonder if he’s ahead in the battle for first guard backup. But that’s just conjecture, don’t jump down my throat.

Reaction Score
My observations:

1. How many post finishes in these 2 videos for Sanogo? Don might be having a Kalkbrenner type impact on defense.

2. Didn’t see Alex anywhere, but that might be on me. Anyone else see him? Would suck if he was injured.
1. I don't think you can make that assumption from a hype video with selected cuts. Those 3 Sanogo baskets they showed, 2 jump shots and a dunk, could have been his only 2 outside shots and he hit 15 other shots very close to the basket.

2. Watch again. Alex is in a bunch of the highlights on defense. He's #10, which is interesting because he's #11 on the roster.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
1. I don't think you can make that assumption from a hype video with selected cuts. Those 3 Sanogo baskets they showed, 2 jump shots and a dunk, could have been his only 2 outside shots and he hit 15 other shots very close to the basket.

2. Watch again. Alex is in a bunch of the highlights on defense. He's #10, which is interesting because he's #11 on the roster.
Still odd our best player, who plays in the post, has no post highlights. I know they aren’t exciting plays, but still.

Reaction Score
I'll pretend as a UConn fan I should appreciate NCAA tournament selections with zero wins at an appreciably higher level than not making NCAA tourney. But I don't .
It sucks that we got to that point as a program but we did. Obviously that time is over and we need to start winning in March now. But you trashed RJ Cole from the day he stepped onto campus so I didn't expect you to stop now

Reaction Score
Watching that vid got me seriously pumped up, but I have to take a deep breath and curb my enthusiasm!
Talking Episode 7 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It sucks that we got to that point as a program but we did. Obviously that time is over and we need to start winning in March now. But you trashed RJ Cole from the day he stepped onto campus so I didn't expect you to stop now
Realistically though, which lead guard was RJ Cole better/more talented than that started for us over the past 20 years?

Reaction Score
Realistically though, which lead guard was RJ Cole better/more talented than that started for us over the past 20 years?
Fun game. Cole was 1st team all league in new Big East and led us to a fairly high seed, so anyone that didn't achieve something equivalent is pretty easy to say that Cole is better.

I'd say...
Sterling Gibbs (shout out Purvis for reminding me that Gibbs was the lead guard that year over Jalen Adams)
Alterique Gilbert

Based on production and achievement you can debate Jalen Adams also, but that would likely be a matter of opinion. Marcus Williams and Taliek Brown weren't all league, but their teams were too good to think that they weren't better than Cole.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Fun game. Cole was 1st team all league in new Big East and led us to a fairly high seed, so anyone that didn't achieve something equivalent is pretty easy to say that Cole is better.

I'd say...
Sterling Gibbs (shout out Purvis for reminding me that Gibbs was the lead guard that year over Jalen Adams)
Alterique Gilbert

Based on production and achievement you can debate Jalen Adams also, but that would likely be a matter of opinion. Marcus Williams and Taliek Brown weren't all league, but their teams were too good to think that they weren't better than Cole.
I’d agree with Sterling. I remember screaming at my tv for Ollie to start Jalen over him. I’d agree with alterique too even though the one year he actually played I’d say Vital was the guy.

Would have to disagree on Adams though. He had terrible timing from the teams he was on.

Reaction Score
Still odd our best player, who plays in the post, has no post highlights. I know they aren’t exciting plays, but still.
So if they only show baskets he made in the hype video should we assume that he never missed a shot all game? They only showed made shots so did both teams shoot 100% for the game? Do you see what I mean? I just don't know how you can make the assumption you did from the limited plays shown in a hype video.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not more talented than Jalen Adams, but a better player and leader.

Much better than Gilbert.

Possibly Taliek Brown.

Reaction Score

I'd say...
Alterique Gilbert

Agree with RJ over Gibbs/Alterique.

I would personally take Jalen over RJ, but could see argument the other way.

Marcus Williams and RJ Cole shouldn’t even be in the same sentence together. I would take Marcus in a heartbeat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unless Hurley plans on using Sanogo as a stretch four and making Donovan are starting center?

Knowing Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

Reaction Score
Usually highlight reels are filled with exciting plays. We know Adama can score in the post but I will admit I'd like to see video of him passing out of there on a double team or when he receives the ball too far out

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fun to watch these. These guys never miss it seems. Johnson looked a lot stronger to me. Love the big guards who can get into the paint and score at the rim. No more Cole/AG getting swallowed up in there. Joey C seems to be useful on offense. Bet he's not used to not being the focus of the defense.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Fun to watch these. These guys never miss it seems. Johnson looked a lot stronger to me. Love the big guards who can get into the paint and score at the rim. No more Cole/AG getting swallowed up in there. Joey C seems to be useful on offense. Bet he's not used to not being the focus of the defense.
lay off rj. he did us, and himself, proud.

while here, he rang up 14 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 83% from the stripe, 36% from 3, and 32 minutes per.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'd say...
Alterique Gilbert

There were times last year when Sanogo was in foul trouble and RJ was the only guy trying to score. That should never have been his role on the team, but he took it in stride, and turned it into 16 points a game and BE 1st team. I’d say he met or exceeded expectations here, since (hopefully) nobody expected him to drop 20+ a game like he did at Howard.

I think his role in his first season was a much better fit for him. Secondary perimeter scorer who is a hound on defense and brings maturity. Sure his FG% wasn’t good, but now we know that it wasn’t because of a lack of skill. Maybe just needed a year to get adjusted. He wasn’t able to play that role when Bouknight went pro

He’s not better than Jalen Adams because he wasn’t supposed to be a Jalen Adams. Jalen Adams is better at nearly every part of scoring than RJ and had the green light to take every single shot, yet RJ still got within 1 bucket per game of Jalen’s career high PPG

So no, RJ isn’t on the level of the Adams or the Napiers or Bouknights. Maybe not even Vital. But I’d still say he did his job and did it very well

Reaction Score
I would like our point guard to have more than 4.1 assists per game. 4.1 per tied Cole for 108th in assists per game last year. It's okay but not dynamic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom