Scrimmage Highlights | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Scrimmage Highlights

Reaction Score
Our offense looks great (if we shoot 100% from the field this year we're going to be unstoppable), but I'm a little worried about our D.
Defense should be fine since the score was 51-33 with 14 minutes left (they played for probably 55-60 minutes) because the score was 2-4 with 53 minutes left.

Could be running clock through halftime idk.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Joey C looks dangerous in these doesn’t he? Adama showing his range. These are fun to watch, especially during the off season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Joey C looks dangerous in these doesn’t he? Adama showing his range. These are fun to watch, especially during the off season.

The pass from Clingan at top of the key to a cutting Joey was nice. Clingan at the top draws Sanogo away from protecting the rim. DC's ability to see and pass over or around a defense will be a great way for him to get meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
In before "the midrange shot is the worst % shot in the game" comments
At least one of those looked like a 3, so we'll get him to the right place. Baby steps.

Reaction Score
Talent wise the team is loaded

But individual talent only takes you so far
if he succeeds in making a team of these pieces the sky is the limit , if not it’s another disappointing March .
Seton Hall was loaded imo last year and they couldn’t put it together. That’s my worry about this team too. But Hurley is a better coach than Willard

Reaction Score
Also that first physical banging drive in the video made me google the roster and was like "I don't know what all these guys look like, which big is #2,"

Oh nvm, it's our giant point guard.
I did exactly the same thing!

Reaction Score
My worry about Karaban is the adjustment to the speed and physicality of the college game. But his basketball IQ and shooting are really good so at some point it will click. Just how long will that adjustment period take? It's the question I have for every freshman.
This. Look how long it took RJ Cole to get adjusted to the speed. We knew he could score. Was worth the wait.

Reaction Score
Also that first physical banging drive in the video made me google the roster and was like "I don't know what all these guys look like, which big is #2,"

Oh nvm, it's our giant point guard.
This guy?

Attachments

• 2EB40461-18B4-440C-A4EB-EF3AE3D0D530.jpeg
    2EB40461-18B4-440C-A4EB-EF3AE3D0D530.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 70

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This. Look how long it took RJ Cole to get adjusted to the speed. We knew he could score. Was worth the wait.

Screw it. We have time between now and when they dump the third scrimmage video.

What was worth the wait? I have little doubt RJ became the best player he could be for UConn and did everything he could on the court for team success but there were zero BE titles and zero NCAA tourney wins.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
As someone in the over 30 crowd (and then some) I'll go with the flow and pretend I have any idea what show or movie this references.
Fair. I probably should’ve just said in their thirties. Older than that there might be an explanation needed for why you were watching 3 Ninjas.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall was loaded imo last year and they couldn’t put it together. That’s my worry about this team too. But Hurley is a better coach than Willard
I was very high on Hall last year, and In retrospect, Seton Hall's talent was overrated and their shooting was lacking.

Aiken is a glass cannon, Rhoden can't shoot and took too many tough shots, Obiagu was soft, Richmond can't shoot and is unpolished offensively, Cale is too inconsistent, Yetna coming off major injury, and Jamir Harris is a role player at this level.

Good defensively, but there's a reason why they went 11-8. They settled way too often for long Rhoden 2s and 3s from guys who didn't shoot well.

Reaction Score
Screw it. We have time between now and when they dump the third scrimmage video.

What was worth the wait? I have little doubt RJ became the best player he could be for UConn and did everything he could on the court for team success but there were zero BE titles and zero NCAA tourney wins.
If I remember correctly we could have had RJ or Bones Hyland. RJ had to sit a year but stayed for 3 total. Bones didn’t have to sit but went to the NBA after 2 years. Both were good options and RJ had the strong relationship with Hurley

Reaction Score
Part 2

My overreacting takes:

Pros:
1. SANOGO JUMPSHOT!!!! SANOGO JUMPSHOT!!!!!!!!
2. DC making Sanogo look small and passing right over the top of him
3. Hawkins looking comfortable
4. Is Joey C actually going to get minutes??

Cons:
1. The Newton bully drive was impressive but tbh would not love that shot in a game
2. Andre’s floater still looks like a flat push shot instead of a floater

Summary:
UConn undefeated and 2023 champions??

Reaction Score

And without RJ Cole you'd be adding zero NCAA tournament berths to that sentence. Which was absolutely worth the wait

Reaction Score
Watching that vid got me seriously pumped up, but I have to take a deep breath and curb my enthusiasm!

Reaction Score
Just remember - for every awesome looking offensive result in these clips, it was against our defense...

With that said, the most important clips are:

1- Newton playing effective bully ball in the paint; we're going to need a lot of that
2- Ajax being able to alley oop like that due to defenders having to respect his quickness and hops; could be huge for the other four guys on the floor
3- Hawk needs to toughen up on his man to man defense
4- Joey C could be our newest version of the microwave off the bench

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom