SC vs LSU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

SC vs LSU

Reaction Score
What are you doing with these posts? I get the disappointment but not your trashing your own players
No the players are what they are. The coaching has failed them a lot lately. The players do their best iMO.

Reaction Score
I thought that this was a pretty good game. Like I have said before, South Carolina just reminds me of that UNLV men's basketball squad that beat Duke by 30 to win the title in the 90s. South Carolina can beat you in a number of ways and if their shots are falling, it is a wrap. LSU, in my eyes, got a pretty good team. Like the rest of the teams, there is always work to be done. Coach Mulkey will keep doing a great job coaching and building the program up. Learn from this loss and move on. Great game, South Carolina and LSU.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
TN and Ole Miss will give SC better games. They have more physical rosters and have better overall coaching.
These type of posts are getting pretty tiring...I don't know if you're trolling still or what....but I have a great idea!

Let's just fire Kim and get Nikki back! Then you'll have a legit reason to complain.

Reaction Score
Oh and let's be honest. Even if we played a strong schedule. The outcome of this game would've been the same. That's all lol
If you played a strong schedule everyone would have been much better equipped for the game. Would SC probably still won? Sure, but at least it may have been a way more competitive game.

Reaction Score
Idk why people keep hyping this game. Its not even going to be remotely close. Reese will get her points but beyond that, SCs bench only probably beats this LSU team by 15 to 20 ish.

Hopefully the NCAAT doesn't reward this LSU team. They don't deserve any of it.

South Carolina’s bench beats most teams by 15 to 20ish. Glad this is the neutral forum, because our hosts will not like this - I think LSU is the second best team we’ve played.

We came out with our hair on fire, played an A game throughout, and the building was sold out and loud. I was shocked LSU got off the mat and stayed within striking distance for 28 minutes.

Reaction Score
If you played a strong schedule everyone would have been much better equipped for the game. Would SC probably still won? Sure, but at least it may have been a way more competitive game.
I fully understand. I complained about our schedule the day it came out. But I'm just being honest here. We were out classed.

When it comes to the team we have. The team we are playing. SC would destroy us 9 times out of 10

Reaction Score
TN and Ole Miss will give SC better games. They have more physical rosters and have better overall coaching.

Maybe.

I'm not sure about your issue with Mulkey. I don't care for her but her resume speaks for itself.

I was impressed that Morris kept LSU in the game after the haymaker thrown in the first quarter.

LSU made a lot of tough shots really.

Reaction Score
If this was a national POY showcase, Reese just dropped out of contention. Boston had a solid game, but wasn't even the best player on her own team.
I hope media people recognize Sa'Myah Smith for her effort against South Carolina. Reese is certainly better than how she played today but it would be refreshing to see the freshmen get some recognition. Its not always the Angel Reese show, others play well also...

Biggest failure on LSU's part is to not get Flaujae going or get her any type of looks at all. Like she was basically not even participating today. LSU was never going to be remotely competitive without Reese, Flaujae and Morris going off. Beyond that, they truly have no one that can compete with SC outside Sa'Myah off the bench who is only a freshman but she is physically limited right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Today makes evaluating LSU a clearer picture, but also still so confusing. We learned they aren’t necessarily in the same tier as South Carolina, Stanford, Indiana, or Uconn. But where do they rank in that next tier of teams? They lost by 20+ so it’s really hard to know how good they are. Their best win is against unranked Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Today makes evaluating LSU a clearer picture, but also still so confusing. We learned they aren’t necessarily in the same tier as South Carolina, Stanford, Indiana, or Uconn. But where do they rank in that next tier of teams? They lost by 20+ so it’s really hard to know how good they are. Their best win is against unranked Tennessee.
22-25 range I guess although not deserving.

I think they have talented players but are looking at an early NCAA exit (first or second round) without question. I just don't see Kim getting it done at LSU. She is too stuck in the past offensively and can't adjust with the time. There are rumblings of multiple kids already looking to transfer. Sa'Myah Smith has been in chatter with Texas players and thats just one..

Sadly for her but she probably retires before the end of her contract, maybe after year 5 or 6? No way she is there any longer.

Reaction Score
Miss St gave SC a better game. I see them beating LSU, coaching is much better if you bother to watch any of the games.
If Jessika Carter can stay on the floor, MS State may be able to hang with LSU, but it’s a long shot. Their last game vs Tennessee was not good.

Reaction Score
Mulkey did a lot of advance work prepping for the loss, so will be interesting to see how LSU responds.

Are they out of gas? Or will they run them?

Reaction Score
It's a humbling pie for sure for our players.... But I still think we are a good team. Top 5 was a stretch. I still think we are top 10.

But we are not in the same class as SC. I'm not sure who could beat that team TBH. But it's a learning experience for us.

Hopefully we can become more reliant on talent outside of Reese and Morris. And continue developing our talent at Freshmen.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
We play both of them on the road, so that makes somewhat of a difference.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, the problem with LSU is (outside of not being as talented as SC top to bottom) is they went the entire year being entirely dependent on Reese to just put up massive numbers every game. They have some legit talent outside of her and Morris. Flaujae and Sa'Myah are promising freshmen but LSU did absolutely nothing to get Flaujae involved today. Kim can't control that LSU doesn't have the players physically to match with SC on the boards but that itself was a failure on her part. Ladazhia is a nice glue player although she is completely outmatched by SC's interior size and physicality.

The rest of the roster (harshly) isn't the caliber of players who can play in big games like that against elite teams. Poa, Poole and Carson are all great kids but when you start facing. Now they weren't bad by any means but they just can't keep up with the Joneses.

Despite the weak schedule, having them 11-1 in conference play with basically a brand new entire team from the portal or HS is solid work in just year 2 by Kim. They don't have the level of depth or cohesiveness as a team to compete with the big dogs yet. Last years team has a core that played with each other for 3-4 years, this one is the complete opposite. The goal is to not go undefeated (no one really does), but they need to continue to grow, work hard and build their program from the ground up again. If they somehow reach the sweet 16, its a massive success for them this year with much to work with going into next season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I thought that this was a pretty good game. Like I have said before, South Carolina just reminds me of that UNLV men's basketball squad that beat Duke by 30 to win the title in the 90s. South Carolina can beat you in a number of ways and if their shots are falling, it is a wrap. LSU, in my eyes, got a pretty good team. Like the rest of the teams, there is always work to be done. Coach Mulkey will keep doing a great job coaching and building the program up. Learn from this loss and move on. Great game, South Carolina and LSU.
I loved the fantastic five, Larry Johnson, Anderson Hunt, Stacey Augman, Greg Anthony, and David Butler, with "Tark the Shark" as the coach. It's still the largest margin of victory in the Men's NCAA Championship game, 30 points, 103-73. UNLV is the last NON-Power Conference team to win the championship and the only one to win since 1977. They are also the only team to score 100+ points in the championship game.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Honestly the only cocky players I see from LSU is Morris and Reese. Both are hot heads. Morris actually backed up her play, Reese on the other hand...

She deserves some humble pie. Got embarrassed on national television and got out played by her freshmen teammate Smith

Like I said earlier, I just don't see LSU getting to a sweet 16 under Kim. Her coaching is not good and she won't land the elite caliber players she had at Baylor. A. Rosario is Hannah Gusters 2.0. A big who isn't coordinated or skilled whatsoever. I don't see Williams in Baton Rouge any more than 2 years. She won't be ready for the WNBA long term.
Okay now, look.. I get it. Today sucked, but Rosario is a GOOD big and Mulkey will make her even better. And I won’t even get started on Williams who will probably be the best player on your roster next season. This is crazy talk my friend.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As much as I like and respect our SEC LSU fan here, the sheer lunacy of their immediate loss posts are very confusing and irrational. This is year 2 of rebuilding a very down LSU program. Of course Kim has more to do and what she has already accomplished is mind-numbing. She also has a top class of recruits coming in next year. She clearly has the #2 program in the "mighty SEC" already so what is absolutely confounding is the complaints by this Tiger fan.
Is this LSU a top 10 team, who knows as they haven't played anyone to justify their rank anywhere from 8-18. They are probably a deserving Top 16 team to host, but let's be honest very few of the SEC teams will make it to the 2nd round and only SC is guaranteed to make it to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

Overall, it was an entertaining game, going the way most of us figured and certainly puts Caitlin Clark in the NPOY driver's seat.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don’t care about the pollsters, only NET where LSU is #3. NET can make mistakes about this stuff. But if LSU gives SC a competitive game — ends within single digits — they’ll have proved something about themselves. On the other hand, a 30 point blowout will expose them, and they’ll probably meet a second time in the SEC tournament. I’d like to think LSU is a paper tiger (lol) but they beat Tennessee handily, a real team even if unranked. It is possible that despite their weak schedule they’ve gelled as a team, or are on the verge of doing so. If so, we should recognize it.

But here’s my prediction about this first game: they’re too small to compete with SC. Reese and Williams just aren’t big or strong enough to deal with Boston Cardozo Watkins and Feagins. And Alexis Morris will not be able to contain Johnson and Cooke and will be easily contained by them. Reese is a substantial talent, but she will pale in comparison to SC’s frontcourt. No more beating up on undersized competition. Remember the Stanford Maryland game Reese played in last year, where they got a spanking from Stanford’s frontcourt? This will be even more decisive.
For all the reason’s you stated, and the fact thst SC totally dominated LSU the way they did, and won by 24 points, is why I think SC will repeat as national champions.

There’s a gap between them and other teams like there used to be between UConn and other teams. They are the last undefeated team in D1 WCBB. If not them, then who?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom