SC vs LSU | The Boneyard

SC vs LSU

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
A great matchup between the two remaining undefeated teams is on next week. This game will help us or muddy the waters concerning #1 seed for the tournament. LSU hasn't been challenged, but when you play 13 Quad E teams, that would only make sense. Still the pollsters have them at #3, so to help us, SC has to defeat them, but not only defeat them, but blow them out. If SC can do that, by at least 15 points, that would put LSU out of the picture for a #1. We should still win all our remaining games, but a little help from our friends at SC could make life easier for the Huskies. At any rate, it should be a good game, and will attract a huge TV audience. So, root for SC, and BTW, Iowa can do us a solid by beating Indiana next week also. Must see TV for WCBB fans. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I don’t care about the pollsters, only NET where LSU is #3. NET can make mistakes about this stuff. But if LSU gives SC a competitive game — ends within single digits — they’ll have proved something about themselves. On the other hand, a 30 point blowout will expose them, and they’ll probably meet a second time in the SEC tournament. I’d like to think LSU is a paper tiger (lol) but they beat Tennessee handily, a real team even if unranked. It is possible that despite their weak schedule they’ve gelled as a team, or are on the verge of doing so. If so, we should recognize it.

But here’s my prediction about this first game: they’re too small to compete with SC. Reese and Williams just aren’t big or strong enough to deal with Boston Cardozo Watkins and Feagins. And Alexis Morris will not be able to contain Johnson and Cooke and will be easily contained by them. Reese is a substantial talent, but she will pale in comparison to SC’s frontcourt. No more beating up on undersized competition. Remember the Stanford Maryland game Reese played in last year, where they got a spanking from Stanford’s frontcourt? This will be even more decisive.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don’t care about the pollsters, only NET where LSU is #3. NET can make mistakes about this stuff. But if LSU gives SC a competitive game — ends within single digits — they’ll have proved something about themselves. On the other hand, a 30 point blowout will expose them, and they’ll probably meet a second time in the SEC tournament. I’d like to think LSU is a paper tiger (lol) but they beat Tennessee handily, a real team even if unranked. It is possible that despite their weak schedule they’ve gelled as a team, or are on the verge of doing so. If so, we should recognize it.
They only beat Tennessee by 6 I believe, and the game was in Baton Rouge.

Reaction Score
I won't be shocked if this game is close in Q1 or even by halftime. But I think in Q3 we will see SCar really start to pull away and then completely dominate in Q4. LSU has some good players but I don't think they gel together well and watching them (for a few games) they don't feel like a cohesive unit. I think SCar will frustrate them a lot, especially with their ability to consistently rebound.

I do think SCar's weakness at guarding the perimeter and also their not great shooting % might one day eventually hurt them, but I don't think LSU is that team. SCar should be able to get more than enough second chance points (and deny LSU the same) to more than win this game.

Ultimately LSU's weak schedule is going to be their biggest downfall, IMO.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Per Charlie Creme in today's bracketology:

"If we have learned anything from recent selection committees, they have liked quality wins and don't like suspect schedules. That's why Stanford, despite Sunday's loss at Washington, won out by a sliver. LSU's schedule, among the worst for all major conference teams, remains an anchor for the Tigers. ... LSU's unbeaten record is not discounted nor is the Hawkeyes' recent hot streak, but Stanford still has the better overall resume."

Reaction Score
1675786559176.png

Reaction Score
Yup. Looking forward to this game. A great build up for Super Bowl Sunday. This game is going to be intense! You think Coach Auriemma throwing a water bottle on the court was interesting, just wait until a call goes against Coach Mulkey in the 3rd or 4th quarter. We might get the jacket and both shoes with her! But on the real, this game is going to be intense and interesting.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

But here’s my prediction about this first game: they’re too small to compete with SC. Reese and Williams just aren’t big or strong enough to deal with Boston Cardozo Watkins and Feagins. And Alexis Morris will not be able to contain Johnson and Cooke and will be easily contained by them. Reese is a substantial talent, but she will pale in comparison to SC’s frontcourt. No more beating up on undersized competition. Remember the Stanford Maryland game Reese played in last year, where they got a spanking from Stanford’s frontcourt? This will be even more decisive.
Reese then scored 25 on Stanford when they played them the second time last year.

Reaction Score
I would argue that LSU has been challenged with close games but has yet to be challenged with a competent team that has equal or greater talent than themselves.

They've had some really close games as of late and throughout the season such as Tennessee, Georgia, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Tulane. If I'm being honest I personally felt there was some home cooking in the Georgia and Tennessee games specifically that could have led those games in another direction.

I don't think this game will be as competitive as advertised. Reese has yet to play against any bigs that are near her talent level this season and LSU has yet to play a true road game in an environment like SC. This is where that light schedule will hurt them. Outside of Reese and maybe LaDhazia I don't think anyone else knows what it is like to play against a full crowd at CLA.

Their three main pieces are Reese, Flau'jae and Morris. I think the moment may be too big for Flau'jae and I can see her scoring in single digits like she has in a few games. Reese and Morris will probably be the main targets.

I think the SC guards can make things difficult for Morris and the post depth can frustrate Reese. Reese was still able to get 20pts last year in Columbia but it took 19 attempts to get to that number. Someone to look out for is LaDhazia Williams, a former Gamecock who always plays with a little chip on her shoulder when she plays us. So I wouldn't be surprised if she has a good game.

Speaking of chip on their shoulder, Mulkey has them ready to fully embrace that role. Since they haven't lost yet that are overly cocky and sometimes that overconfidence can work in your favor and sometimes it can bite you. LSU could very well find that perfect balance and find a way to win the game but I just don't see it. They lack proper depth and experience in these types of games. If things don't go their way early of if Angel gets in early foul trouble I can see this game getting out of hand quickly.

*sorry for the essay lol.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
LSU just isn't playing well. They needed OT to beat Georgia and struggled against a 6-15 A&M team. If they don't bring their best stuff I think SC clobbers them. I do think they have the pieces to keep it competitive if they come focused and energized. SC is tall and strong but Reese is an animal on the glass and draws a ton of fouls. They'll also need a big night from Flau'jae and Morris. I think if Cooke continues her cold shooting (6-35 in last 3 games, 2-13 from 3) then LSU has a good shot at keeping this close. If she gets hot I don't think LSU (or anyone) can hang with SC.

Reaction Score
Three of LSU top 4 players have played South Carolina in the past and played particularly well against them. Kim Mulkey always has her teams ready for big games. I think this game will go down to the wire. Can’t wait until Sunday!

Reaction Score
The only thing in question about this game is how much SC wins by....Massey has SC by 12.

Reaction Score
The problem with LSU, on top of the no depth (which showed significantly last week) is the lack of a reliable PG. LSU hands points away like crazy. They get zero consistency from the guards. It becomes Russian roulette. LSUs posts are much better this season but the guard play is worse. They just make bad decisions constantly. With the exception of Morris and Flaujae, they have no one else reliable or talented enough in that third spot.

I’m not expecting to win. SC is just much more talented and even deeper than last year. I hope they play hard and competitively.

LSU needs another 1-2 recruiting classes. I just think it’s way too hard to make this many new faces gel in a single off-season

Reaction Score
I do think SCar's weakness at guarding the perimeter and also their not great shooting % might one day eventually hurt them, but I don't think LSU is that team. SCar should be able to get more than enough second chance points (and deny LSU the same) to more than win this game.

Ultimately LSU's weak schedule is going to be their biggest downfall, IMO.
Gamecocks held the Huskies in check from the perimeter as I recall Uconn was only able to get six three-point attempts. That would seem to be pretty good perimeter D, Huskies are one of the top three-point shooting teams in the nation this year

Reaction Score
Gamecocks held the Huskies in check from the perimeter as I recall Uconn was only able to get six three-point attempts. That would seem to be pretty good perimeter D, Huskies are one of the top three-point shooting teams in the nation this year
SC has the 2nd best 3 point defense in the country currently too.

Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts:
  • LSU has barely beaten some poor teams. Me thinks they play down to the level of the competition.
  • We don’t know if they play up to better competition, ‘cause they haven’t had any.
  • Angel could easily get into early foul trouble, but so could Boston.
  • I think SC shuts down Morris. Good chance we’ll see a T on her.
  • Never, never underestimate Kimmy!

I think, in the end, SC wins by 15+. Just too deep and too physical for LSU. Can’t wait for Sunday!

Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts:
  • LSU has barely beaten some poor teams. Me thinks they play down to the level of the competition.
  • We don’t know if they play up to better competition, ‘cause they haven’t had any.
  • Angel could easily get into early foul trouble, but so could Boston.
  • I think SC shuts down Morris. Good chance we’ll see a T on her.
  • Never, never underestimate Kimmy!

I think, in the end, SC wins by 15+. Just too deep and too physical for LSU. Can’t wait for Sunday!
Angel has a history of stepping up to the competition. She had a good performance against South Carolina while she was at Maryland. I expect a similar performance. I anticipate that we will try to force her to take shots away from the basket and limit her rebounds to mitigate her scoring potential.

Boston does not have a history of getting into foul trouble. I think she has fouled out of 1 game in her entire career as a Gamecock and that was during the beginning of her sophomore season. She also rarely has games where she has 4 fouls. While it is always a possibility, her history does not say that she will get into foul trouble.

I expect to shut down Flau'jae. Personally, I think the x factors in this game will be the veterans. You need that experience to face against South Carolina. I bet the game will come down to Morris' and Williams' ability to equalize the defensive and offensive output of south Carolina.

Reaction Score
You’re right. I think maybe I was thinking more of how SCar isn’t a great 3 point shooting team.
:confused:
(Even though they did get 2 critical buckets from the perimeter against UConn:(:oops:)

Reaction Score
I guess 12-15 margin is likely, but I hope for 35. My reasons for hoping this won't bear much scrutiny. At moments like these, it's best to just watch what happens and enjoy good basketball when you find it. If LSU beats SC, I think there will be much to enjoy in that game.

Reaction Score
I don't think it will be a great match-up. Honestly. May be a good game for a bit, but as soon as Dawn installs the phone booths, LSU will be lost without anyone to call. (See what I did there?) :)

SC 80 - LSU 62

Easily a 15-20 point MOV.

May be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Reaction Score
A great matchup between the two remaining undefeated teams is on next week. This game will help us or muddy the waters concerning #1 seed for the tournament. LSU hasn't been challenged, but when you play 13 Quad E teams, that would only make sense. Still the pollsters have them at #3, so to help us, SC has to defeat them, but not only defeat them, but blow them out. If SC can do that, by at least 15 points, that would put LSU out of the picture for a #1. We should still win all our remaining games, but a little help from our friends at SC could make life easier for the Huskies. At any rate, it should be a good game, and will attract a huge TV audience. So, root for SC, and BTW, Iowa can do us a solid by beating Indiana next week also. Must see TV for WCBB fans. Go Huskies.

Agree. Go SC and Go Iowa!

You will never get me to say Go ND..........

:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the problems with these huge football conferences is they allow very imbalanced basketball schedules. LSU will play three conference foes twice - Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and TX A&M (combined conference record 7-24 to date) while playing TN and SC only once. The Big 10 plays 5 of 13 twice, and the ACC plays 4 of 14.

Meanwhile BE, and Big12 play all conference foes home and home, and the Pac12 plays 7 of 11 conference foes twice. I believe next year the BE is changing to play 8 of 10 twice.

In football it is not that big a deal as teams play so few games they couldn't even schedule all their conference a single game each year. In basketball, with a conferences of 12, home and homes would be 22 games severely limiting OOC schedules and when you get to 14 and soon 16 teams, the OOC would disappear completely. At the same time it makes 'conference strength' less meaningful in basketball because of the lack of home and homes and the huge disparity in strength of OOC scheduling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom