SC Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I'm jealous. I missed the best part if the game .. AND since it wasn't on SNY, I can't watch it again later tonite. Thought we weren't ready.... and we were. Bueckers was indeed. Apologies to these ladies. All heart. And mad respect ? ? ? ? ?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I would not have believed that Paige would score 31 points against SC in a low scoring, tight game. Dawn Staley knew it was coming, & there was nothing she could do about it. And it would not have happened without Aubrey, Liv, Nika, & Liya!
Totally agree

Reaction Score
Disagree. Diana had more offensive support from her teammates. DT led by being a leader.
Paige is still gonna need others to step up.

I think DT’s teammates were less talented. Look at what that team looked like when she left. They looked more talented because she made them better.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm jealous. I missed the best part if the game .. AND since it wasn't on SNY, I can't watch it again later tonite. Thought we weren't ready.... and we were. Bueckers was indeed. Apologies to these ladies. All heart. And mad respect ? ? ? ? ?
It will be available as soon as tif uploads it. Look for a link in the rules post tacked to the top of the board

Reaction Score
The freshmen were awesome, Aubrey was huge, and Olivia had a good stretch after apoor first quarter.

But, holy cow, Paige is otherworldly.

ONO made me want to rip my hair out(I don't have any) on offense, but she really held Boston in check on D until that 4th foul. We took the lead in the 3rd playing her, Aubrey, and Alliyah together.

Reaction Score
I thought that was the announcers making the mistake since all they did was talk nonsensically. As I complained about in the last DePaul game, it seems as though they think they have to fill in the action because the women's game isn't engaging enough. I think it is insulting. That was a great and exciting basketball game. We didn't need the constant monologue. I also thought the refereeing was horrendous. They miss all kinds of contact on shots but call every possible moving screen. If you want to call it tight, call it that way 22 feet from the basket but also 2 feet from it as well.
I totally agree! I was saying that all night. To me they were nit-picking on such trivial things! This was a #1 / #2 match-up. Let them play! Oh yeah and how about FS1 NOT having any post-game talk afterwards? If it was a mens game, the women would most certainly have been started AFTER a post game review. Where is SNY when you need them? :mad:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I will readily admit not buying into the Paige hype before tonight. I thought she was good, but I didn't get the hype.

HA, Paige Bueckers is GOOOOOOOOD. Like, I'm literally still in shock from that overtime.

Great win for UConn.

Reaction Score
Pretty painful game to watch aside from Bueckers heroics which were phenomenal. Big win for UCONN and should lock them up for a #1 seed in March.

SC:
-Boston was solid but missed a good number of chippies inside. She was hugely impactful defensively and a lot of UCONN misses in the first half were when her presence altered looks. I have no idea why they didn't go to her more. She had 3 shot attempts in the first half. She had no face up shots either which was unexpected. The last 3 attempt was way too quick and rushed, she should've just shot instead of trying to hit a step back 3. Good game for her but I dont know why she didn't touch the ball much at all in the 1st.

-Henderson has been great this year but was dreadful today. 8 turnovers and a lot of them were just dumb lazy plays. Poor shot selection on 5-17 shooting, 1-5 FT. Missed a good look end of regulation and turned the ball over at the end. Night and day compared to watching Harris run the offense vs UCONN a year ago. If they meet again, she'll definitely be motivated to play better.

-Cooke was somewhat of a no show. Take out the half court prayer and she had 8 points on 3-12 shooting. SC guards were a big let down tonight for Dawn.

-Saxton and Boston needed more touches. 3 shots for Saxton isn't enough when she's a great finisher inside.

-Amihere didn't look ready for a game of this magnitude. She has length but isn't a good finisher and had a couple of bad TOs. Still pretty raw.

-All that said, SC still nearly won and would have if they hit one of their 4 shots end of regulation, including three right around the basket. I think they're UCONN's toughest competition for a title.

For UCONN:
-the backdoor action was most effective offensively. I thought they should've utilized it more, especially with Edwards. Speaking of..

-I thought Edwards played terrific. Really good minutes and played physical defense against a bigger Aliyah Boston. Avoided foul trouble and made a lot of hustle plays.

-Muhl played composed and picked moments well.

-ONO did well passing out of the high post. Maybe a super fan can run numbers, but from games I've seen she hits like 25-30% of her shots from the perimeter. She shouldn't be shooting out there. She also has the Jantel Lavender problem of sticking her right foot forward so it becomes a long two most of the time. Several of those werent even close. Im surprised Geno is letting her continue to take shots from out there. Im not sure i saw her post up once all game which isn't a good sign. UCONN escaped today but needs production and energy from her against taller teams.

-Bueckers is ridiculous. Moving her off the ball is a great idea too since she can be more like a combo guard. She should be taking 20+ shots every game considering her percentages and the fact that she scores at will with defenders draped all over her. I thought SC for the most part played great defense on her and she still hit tough shot after tough shot.

-UCONN's offense really struggled but was most effective when they just gave the ball to Bueckers and let her create. I anticipate more emphasis on this in the coming games. I dont know what happened to Westbrook and Williams.

-Griffin was solid defensively and provided a lot of energy.

Lineups will vary by game, but I think Geno has a good starting 5 right now and can inject energy off the bench in AE and Griffin. It was effective today and they'll need high intensity off the bench in the NCAAs.
The reason the back door cur worked is because SC played perimeter defense which was very effective against our3point shooters.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Unlike some amateur couch coaches, I'm not about to argue with Geno's coaching and strategies, but I am wondering why in today's game (and in several other recent games) he's had our two "bigs," Liv and Aaliyah, set up about 18'-20' from the basket. Since neither is really a serious threat to hit a high percentage of those shots-- not yet, at least-- the opponents sag to the basket, clogging up the lane and making cuts there and along the baseline difficult. Not many of such cuts executed successfully tonight vs SC. Am I missing some strategic advantage opened up by that strategy. When Gabby played that game, she set up barely above the foul line where she became a real threat for jump shots, which made it necessary for opponents to come out that far. Then backdoor/baseline cuts did open up. Also, from the foul line, Gabby often faked a shot and made a one-dribble layup. Just wondering.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I wanted to see what UConn would do when they had the ball in the fourth quarter and the clock was running down, but the ball got away from Evita.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I got to think this game was a little personal for Paige because Paige invested a lot of time and her Parents money in Boston coming to UCONN. Paige was @ UCONN when Boston made her official visit.
I wonder if she told Boston on that visit, "You can join me at UConn and win championships or go somewhere else and get beaten by us...."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The last 5 minutes and the overtime reminded me of the 2003 and 2004
It was DT and 4 other players who played defense .rebounded and got the ball to DT
Down the stretch. PB is. Playing that same roll and only a freshman Amazing performance

While it’s easy to be critical of the offense
Of both teams I thought it was great defense by both teams

Coach GA has done everything to
Bring out the best in CW. Really stuck with
Her but seemed like the 2missed foul shots
We’re enough.might not have the temperament for the big games

Not a pretty game but the first win agsinst
A “top” team since the 2019 season

The team is developing an “identity”
Play great defense ,rebound
Play both big or small ,play7 players
And knows who the leader is

Only wish there were more games like
This
I guess you forgot how she was responsible as A freshman for beating ND

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I totally agree! I was saying that all night. To me they were nit-picking on such trivial things! This was a #1 / #2 match-up. Let them play! Oh yeah and how about FS1 NOT having any post-game talk afterwards? If it was a mens game, the women would most certainly have been started AFTER a post game review. Where is SNY when you need them? :mad:
They are showing a repeat of the men's game but not the UConn game.

Reaction Score
Unlike some amateur couch coaches, I'm not about to argue with Geno's coaching and strategies, but I am wondering why in today's game (and in several other recent games) he's had our two "bigs," Liv and Alliyah, set up about 18'-20' from the basket. Since neither is really a serious threat to hit a high percentage of those shots-- not yet, at least-- the opponents sag to the basket, clogging up the lane and making cuts there and along the baseline difficult. Not many of such cuts executed successfully tonight vs SC. Am I missing some strategic advantage opened up by that strategy. When Gabby played that game, she set up barely above the foul line where she became a real threat for jump shots, which made it necessary for opponents to come out that far. Then backdoor/baseline cuts did open up. Also, from the foul line, Gabby often faked a shot and made a one-dribble layup. Just wondering.
Answer so the middle would be open to cutters and no shot blockers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom