Saylor is coming!!! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Saylor is coming!!!

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if Saylor can get significant minutes this year since she is way behind in practice and learning the schemes etc.
This may be so, but as frustrated as Geno is with the current roster's outside shooting, Saylor may get more playing time than you think,,, plus with her international experience, she's played at a high level already....

Reaction Score
I'm not a huge fan of adding players during the season, even players who have been with team and practicing, just not playing. It is often is hard to get them in sync.

Saylor's issue is even greater. All the chemistry, learning curve stuff that happens over the summer (normally) is now being dumped on her all at once. Add to that that she also needs to adjust to being a college student, living away from home and it is a lot to dump on a teenager. That said, Akok Akok over on the men's team did exactly this and it really helped him.

I think the key is for Saylor (and to a lesser extent, us) to treat this as a learning/conditioning year and have zero expectations about playing time. If she can do that, then this could be a great move for her.
Agreed. I think it’s a lot to learn at a place like UConn. It’ll will be hard to catch up this late in the season. But then again, there have been many games postponed so she will have a little extra time to learn and practice like everyone else.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Check out the long 3-pointer at :24. I think the steal and pass at :38 is by Saylor as well. Note that her hair is a little darker in this video. Her IG shows that she's back to brown hair lately:

Reaction Score
This may be so, but as frustrated as Geno is with the current roster's outside shooting, Saylor may get more playing time than you think,,, plus with her international experience, she's played at a high level already....

Getting to a Higher 3 Point Shooting Percentage is something that Geno has publicly said this team definitely needs to improve upon. Yes, outside of Paige, we are not that good and will Saylor's reputation, if Anna doesn't significantly improve her outside % beyond the 3 point arc, her minutes could be impacted by Saylor's arrival

Reaction Score
Makurat’s minutes are always going to be reduced according to everyone but Auriemma.
I have no idea if Poffenberger can step in and earn minutes at this juncture of the season but more power to her if she can. Coming off surgery, rehab, and not practicing, never mind playing, for the better part of a year, plus the jump from HS to D1 at Uconn, it will be extremely impressive if that happens.

Reaction Score
Not bad for the worst shooting team Geno has ever had.
I don't think bad shooting and a high percentage are necessarily inconsistent. Last year's team did not move the ball particularly well, at least by Uconn standards and found themselves with harder shots as a result. They were however a considerably better shooting team, and great long range shooting by Dangerfield and Walker compensated for the tougher shots.

This year's team is not a great shooting team by Uconn standards, but make up for it somewhat by getting much easier shots because of the way better ball movement. We usually have two point guards on the floor between Paige, Nika, and Evina, and usually along with a point forward type in Anna.

So yes the shooting percentage is good, and yet we have seen many easy shots missed that we expected to make. The excitement over next year's additions, and Saylor this year is when we combine the passers with the shooters.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree with you just don't think it will be that slow and as much as you probably don't want to hear this Saylor is also going to be eating into Aubrey minutes.
Why?
1) She is a coaches daughter.
3) Her perimeter defense is on par with Aubrey's=best on the team.
2) She is a legit 6'2" and sturdy=versatility to defend 1-4 and the ability to crate matchup problems.
4) She is a legit deep shooter=2nd best on this roster.
5) She is an insanely good passer and ball handler for her size.

Saylor is going to press multiple people for playing time and maybe exactly what this team needed.
I think it will be slow and she may not press anyone for minutes. If this was Tennessee I would say yes. Unless she comes on like Paige, I don't think she will be see many minutes. There are not enough games left and Geno is still figuring who plays best together. UConn's system is very hard to grasp in a half season. I hope I am wrong. It is hard to believe she is as good on defense as some are saying.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I think it’s a lot to learn at a place like UConn. It’ll will be hard to catch up this late in the season. But then again, there have been many games postponed so she will have a little extra time to learn and practice like everyone else.
I see very little downside risk to Saylor entering college early. Between the choice of staying home with little chance of playing and letting her skills atrophy or getting a jumpstart on college and continuing to develop as a player, she thought the latter was best for her. Other important Senior Year highlights are also rare in a virtual school year. Whether she sees any substantial time in a UCONN uniform this season remains to be seen. I do believe, however, as a top HS player, that her mindset will be to earn as many minutes as she can regardless of what player's minutes may be impacted.

Some posters are hoping that she might contribute as a 3-point shooter. She may but when I have seen her in person along with @MilfordHusky, she impacted the game in a variety of ways including, as a very good ballhandler, strong defender and a player capable of taking opponents off the dribble and getting to rim for an old-fashioned AND 1 three-point play.

Reaction Score
I agree with you just don't think it will be that slow and as much as you probably don't want to hear this Saylor is also going to be eating into Aubrey minutes.
Why?
1) She is a coaches daughter.
3) Her perimeter defense is on par with Aubrey's=best on the team.
2) She is a legit 6'2" and sturdy=versatility to defend 1-4 and the ability to crate matchup problems.
4) She is a legit deep shooter=2nd best on this roster.
5) She is an insanely good passer and ball handler for her size.

Saylor is going to press multiple people for playing time and maybe exactly what this team needed.
Excellent analysis of why Saylor's playing time could be accelerated. I completely agree!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Per the Courant, Azzi and Caroline are finishing their high school year. Amari is noncommittal.
Yeah I read it. But 17/18 year olds reserve the right to change their minds per minute on the regular. Meanwhile I'm intrigued by this ad on the right about manscaping.

Reaction Score
Where are Autumn's minutes coming from now?

Bored Cabin Fever GIF
Walk-on's get their minutes in practice. Practices become their games. All walk-on's are aware of the situation and know the deal before they sign on.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I'm not a huge fan of adding players during the season, even players who have been with team and practicing, just not playing. It is often is hard to get them in sync.

Saylor's issue is even greater. All the chemistry, learning curve stuff that happens over the summer (normally) is now being dumped on her all at once. Add to that that she also needs to adjust to being a college student, living away from home and it is a lot to dump on a teenager. That said, Akok Akok over on the men's team did exactly this and it really helped him.

I think the key is for Saylor (and to a lesser extent, us) to treat this as a learning/conditioning year and have zero expectations about playing time. If she can do that, then this could be a great move for her.
Let's understand, Saylor will do what the coaches tell her to do, which is the direction her mind set should be, if she is ready and the team needs what she has to offer this season then we will see her wares on the court. I don't see them dumping on her, whatever she is able to assimilate this year is all to the good. We will see what happens but I anticipate that in a few weeks we will see a number of posts calling for her to be on the court. We will see her when Geno feels she can add something on the court and not on the bench. Many thanks for your thoughts they certainly gave me something to ponder.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Per the Courant, Azzi and Caroline are finishing their high school year. Amari is noncommittal.

Because of the structure of their high schools, it might not even be possible for Azzi, Amari, and Caroline to graduate early. I looked it up and Middletown is on a block schedule (meaning they complete year-long courses in single semesters, but are only taking four at a time), which makes it much easier to wrap it up and head out a semester early. St. John's Collegiate, Williamsville South, and Noble & Greenough are on a traditional, year-long schedule.

Reaction Score
Unless there were overtime games, then they could all actually play more. :confused:

Color her as a Freshman both this year and next. Put an asterisk indicating early entry not counted due to COVID. Alternatively just color normally and assign a new color to any players taking a COVID 5th year.
and try to color within the lines...oops. sorry. I was just helping my pre-school grandkids and lost my train of thought............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because of the structure of their high schools, it might not even be possible for Azzi, Amari, and Caroline to graduate early. I looked it up and Middletown is on a block schedule (meaning they complete year-long courses in single semesters, but are only taking four at a time), which makes it much easier to wrap it up and head out a semester early. St. John's Collegiate, Williamsville South, and Noble & Greenough are on a traditional, year-long schedule.
As someone has already pointed out Saylor's enrollment must have been in the works for a while now. Doubtful that Azzi, or Amari or Caroline will join on an early enrollment basis because the Spring Semester for UCONN starts on January 19th.

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis of why Saylor's playing time could be accelerated. I completely agree!
I also agree with these reasons from @tchalla1 as why Saylor could have an impact on this year's UCONN WBB Team. I suspect Mom & Dad...as well as UCONN Coaches... have prepared her to have her mind right, emphasizing that she is joining a team that has been hanging out, practicing and playing together since last summer...that she is the "new kid on the block"... and that she needs to keep her eyes and ears open, bust her butt and do what the coaches tell her to do and her team mates need her to do.
Let's also remember, We (BY'ers) don't know the full status of EW's knee...but we have heard it come up in conversation often, and that there is word she has to do a lot of pre-game prep to get it ready. Maybe it's good...maybe it's not as good as we hope... BUT, Saylor gives UCONN one more person to be a potential "insurance policy" for EW...and in blow outs, a person to help eat up some minutes to give EW rest leading up to the NCAA Tournament.

Happy to have her...even if it's just to learn the system and be part of the cheering squad.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
As someone has already pointed out Saylor's enrollment must have been in the works for a while now. Doubtful that Azzi, or Amari or Caroline will join on an early enrollment basis because the Spring Semester for UCONN starts on January 19th.

I'm sure it has been. Maryland has been pretty strict in regards to returning to school and school sponsored athletics and her social media has definitely reflected her frustrations with that. She's smart, her parents are smart, and Geno is smart. I'm going to guess she waited as long as possible to see if she would have a HS season and semi-normal senior spring.

My point was just that being on a block schedule (like Saylor was at Middletown) makes it possible for this to happen relatively smoothly. Since Azzi, Amari, and Caroline's schools are on a year-long schedule, that makes it harder (and maybe impossible, depending on school policies for Azzi and Caroline) to orchestrate an early graduation from the get-go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom