Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs

pj

Reaction Score
This is pretty out-of-date thinking, no offense. There really isn't a "high post" role anymore, it's not differentiated from the low post enough and clogs things up just the same, while the foul line jumper is usually not a good shot. This is why virtually everyone plays 4-out.

Your #4 simply has to be a threat from the perimeter, because that's where he's going to be camping when Sanogo (in our case) has the ball down low. Akok sort of was, though he couldn't do much else. Whaley became a better shooter than he got credit for, but even that wasn't enough most of the time. Neither Sanogo nor Clingan will be enough of a threat from the 3 point line for them to play together.

If Clingan is really a good passer and can hit a high percentage from the free throw line (>60%), then with his height to see and pass over the defense and his requirement to be guarded, he would open up a lot of opportunities for 3 out and Sanogo working the baseline.

I don't like this "out-of-date" critique, it makes you a slave to fashion. There was a reason why so many did things that way in the past, and if you have the personnel to fit that method of play, it can be your best way to go. Why play 4 out if you don't have 4 shooters?

Reaction Score
If Clingan is really a good passer and can hit a high percentage from the free throw line (>60%), then with his height to see and pass over the defense and his requirement to be guarded, he would open up a lot of opportunities for 3 out and Sanogo working the baseline.

I don't like this "out-of-date" critique, it makes you a slave to fashion. There was a reason why so many did things that way in the past, and if you have the personnel to fit that method of play, it can be your best way to go. Why play 4 out if you don't have 4 shooters?
It’s a good thing you aren’t the coach because this is how you score 56 PPG and get torched on defense when Sanogo or Clingan are forced to defend the perimeter

Reaction Score

Because we have 4 shooters

Reaction Score
I don't see why it is 'insane' to try Sanogo & Clingan on the court at the same time in certain game situations. Clingan has said he expects it, and a while back there was an idle comment from Hurley about that possibility, so they obviously don't think its insane. Noone expects that that will be our lineup, but if Clingan can hit and pass from the foul line to Sanogo on the baseline, or Karaban/Alleyene in the corners, that would be tough to defend in a possession by possession sequence at the end of a game or half. We have discussed defensive adjustments or zone to keep Clingan in the paint, and not every team has enough three point shooting to retaliate. I'm not predicting we will see this much, but giving it a try might have an upside.
They can see minutes together (exploit mismatches, change the look for the other team, etc.) it just should not be both starting or 20+ minutes a game. Clingan isn't ready for that anyways, but the point remains.

Purdue did the giant human with great other passing big man. They had a top 5 NBA pick and incredibly shooting alongside them and did end up having a great offense (helps that Painter is an incredibly skilled offensive coach), but they got destroyed on defense despite the rim protection advantage. He ended up not playing both together in crunch time, and really not together much at all by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Sonogo is the 5. Clingan gets some backup minutes but also the occasional DNP depending on the opponent and situation. Think he is a bit of a development project. Springs makes sure the bench remains in place.

pj

Reaction Score
Because we have 4 shooters

Agreed. Hurley has had the recruiting success to get players that match his preferred style.

I wasn't saying UConn should play that style this year ... just that calling it "out-of-date" is a weak criticism. As if every team needs to pursue the same strategy, and it has to be the "current" one. That's a recipe for zero innovation and zero tailoring of strategy to players.

Reaction Score
Do we though?
Yes. Samson Johnson and Alex Karaban are both above average shooters at the 4 position. Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne are all above average shooters too. The wild cards are Jackson and Diarra, they've shown flashes but not the consistency yet where I can put them in the shooter category

Reaction Score
DH has shown in the past, and I’m not a fan, of reacting to who the other team has on the floor. Who plays and where can come down to matchups. I think DH is going to have a lot of options, which is a great thing.

Reaction Score
I love it when a big runs the court as a trailer. The opposing big won’t want to run with him and it will tire him out if he does. If all 5 guys run it makes the secondary break more effective
I like it too but I am not onboard that two Bigs can’t play together. McHale and Parrish did ok.

Reaction Score
Yes. Samson Johnson and Alex Karaban are both above average shooters at the 4 position. Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne are all above average shooters too. The wild cards are Jackson and Diarra, they've shown flashes but not the consistency yet where I can put them in the shooter category
We all hope that's the case but Alleyne is the only one who has shown he's an above average shooter.

Reaction Score
People are funny thinking there’s no shot a 7 footer who can pass the ball and make some shots can’t be on the court with a 6’8 PF in Sanogo. Will it be a lot, no but get ready because it’s going to happen and why wouldn’t it?

And DNPs? Nope not unless both Samson and Karaban are off the charts.

Ye of little faith!

Reaction Score
People are funny thinking there’s no shot a 7 footer who can pass the ball and make some shots can’t be on the court with a 6’8 PF in Sanogo. Will it be a lot, no but get ready because it’s going to happen and why wouldn’t it?

And DNPs? Nope not unless both Samson and Karaban are off the charts.

Ye of little faith!
DNPs because:
a. We have other bigs who have experience and are more skilled at this point.
b. He isn’t a dominant big man yet. He is a bit Behind the curve having stayed at Bristol Central and played against 6-2 centers in high school.
C. I’m.not so sure he is a great athlete Who plays basketball instead of football because he is 7-1. He isn’t a guy who would be a top prospect if he was 6-9, so to speak.
I think he will be good but it will take a while to adjust to the the speed and strength of top college bigs.

Reaction Score
I like it too but I am not onboard that two Bigs can’t play together. McHale and Parrish did ok.
I expect lots of hi low offense but Samson in the high post and Adama in the low block. Again though this will be effective only if Adama can pass from the low block

Reaction Score
DNPs because:
b. He isn’t a dominant big man yet. He is a bit Behind the curve having stayed at Bristol Central and played against 6-2 centers in high school.
C. I’m.not so sure he is a great athlete Who plays basketball instead of football because he is 7-1. He isn’t a guy who would be a top prospect if he was 6-9, so to speak.
I think he will be good but it will take a while to adjust to the the speed and strength of top college bigs.

A. We don’t have any 7’2 bigs and for now I’ve only seen one who is proven more skilled come game time.

B. He’s 7’2 whether he played against Bristol Eastern or not and knows how to score the ball

C. He’s NOT 6’9 so to speak so who cares about what ifs.

Kid will play minutes, how many not sure but DNPs will be few and far between.

Reaction Score
Sanogo 30mpg at 5
Clingan 5-10mpg at 5
Johnson 15-20mpg at 4, 0-5mpg running 5 depending on DC Matchups/fouls
Springs 0-10 mpg depending on fouls of the above bigs and matchups

There may be 10-20 mpg where Jackson runs as 4 given his superlative defense/rebounding against smaller lineups

Reaction Score
Sanogo 30mpg at 5
Clingan 5-10mpg at 5
Johnson 15-20mpg at 4, 0-5mpg running 5 depending on DC Matchups/fouls
Springs 0-10 mpg depending on fouls of the above bigs and matchups

There may be 10-20 mpg where Jackson runs as 4 given his superlative defense/rebounding against smaller lineups

Think this is close but also believe Karabans ability to hit Js will put him in the minutes as well.

Reaction Score
Will it be a lot, no but get ready because it’s going to happen and why wouldn’t it?
I’m going to ignore the very obvious offensive reasons because they’ve been covered plenty. Defensively, Sanogo already really struggles against quicker 5s who can put the ball on the floor. Presumably in this lineup he’s at the 4 against even quicker players. This is a great recipe for a) giving up a ton of easy buckets, and b) getting Sanogo in very quick foul trouble. That lineup is a truly terrible idea that I hope DH isn’t insane enough to run out in any meaningful game time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
methinks DC is the best passer of that group.
that's two best's. so far.

springs is getting hosed. even tho every time he stepped on the court he belonged, yet, once again, he gets no time for us to really know what he can contribute. i do know that he has attitude, the good kind, the kind that makes his team mates feel more teamlike.

didn't youse just go on and on in the ko thread aboot how the bazz championship team was undertalented compared to the comp? what do yoo think the delta is between undertalented champ and talented also rans? and why haven't the zags won a championship?

Reaction Score
DNPs because:
Your wrong…he would be good at 6-9…he’s a good athlete…he’s a good passer…a good shooter and he knows how to play… he will be a great player for uconn

Reaction Score
If Sanogo's path to the NBA is to develop his perimeter defense and facing-the-basket game, then you might see some minutes with this as a developmental tactic. Perhaps in blowouts
If it's a true blowout and Sanogo sniffs the floor, then Hurley will need to get his head examined. Especially after what happened to Bueckers on the woman's side, who was only the floor when she got injured because they basically had no one else to put in.

Reaction Score
I’m going to ignore the very obvious offensive reasons because they’ve been covered plenty. Defensively, Sanogo already really struggles against quicker 5s who can put the ball on the floor. Presumably in this lineup he’s at the 4 against even quicker players. This is a great recipe for a) giving up a ton of easy buckets, and b) getting Sanogo in very quick foul trouble. That lineup is a truly terrible idea that I hope DH isn’t insane enough to run out in any meaningful game time.

Sanogos feet have improved dramatically on defense not sure of the struggle you point to? They will be challenged on the defensive end with them both on the floor so it would need to be versus certain lineups. But it could also challenge the other teams defense right?

Terrible idea? We don’t even know what lineup works yet so for now their all terrible.

Reaction Score
If it's a true blowout and Sanogo sniffs the floor, then Hurley will need to get his head examined. Especially after what happened to Bueckers on the woman's side, who was only the floor when she got injured because they basically had no one else to put in.

On Paige, they were up almost 20 with under a minute to go. They could have used a walk on or a fan from the stands, and they would have won.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom