Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs

Reaction Score
I must say, the near total write-off of DC and the persistent under-valuation of AK, two of the more exciting freshmen prospects we have recently recruited, is breathtaking!

These two were not recruited for their athleticism, which invariably takes time to adjust to college-level play (e.g., Hawkins, Jackson, etc.). They were recruited rather for their specialties, DC specializing in massive interior intimidation and AK in deadeye sharpshooting. Besides which, both have demonstrated a degree of passing skill and overall court awareness -- bonus traits that nicely enhance their immediate potential. Pardon me if I expect a contribution from these two that is likely to exceed the improvement we hope for from several aforementioned returnees.
But this and some of the delusional DC takes on here are the perpetual UConn fan offseason problems. We had a whole other set of exciting freshmen prospects last year, and almost none besides Hawkins got any run. Hawkins himself was touted as a more NBA ready prospect than anyone we have coming in this year and he looked like he couldn't dribble a basketball for large stretches of the season.

Long story short, I think we need to pump the breaks on the impact these kids have next year. If DC plays around 8 mpg in the BE portion of the schedule and looks like he belongs that would be a huge win. If Karaban can come off the bench once in awhile and provide some three point shooting, another huge win. Let's stop acting like these are top 10 recruits saddled with coming in and immediately setting the world on fire. We have enough talented returning kids/transfers in not to expect too much too soon from these guys.

Reaction Score
Curious what folks think about how Hurley will use these four players.

Karaban and Jackson will play at the 4 spot, but the four players I listed are essentially our 'bigs'. We know primarily how Hurley will use Sanogo, but I'm thinking it might be smart to throw Clingan into the fire with backup center's minutes early and consistently, so he might contribute later in the season when Sanogo is out of the game with fouls etc.. And if not, do Johnson and Springs spend any time at the 5? I know Johnson will spend time at the 4, but what about Springs, might he get some time at the 4? Will Springs be part of the rotation?

Whatya all think?
No one knows how this offense or the new talent will play out..everything is speculation..so I'll just wait and see ..no need to be the nay sayer

Reaction Score
But this and some of the delusional DC takes on here are the perpetual UConn fan offseason problems. We had a whole other set of exciting freshmen prospects last year, and almost none besides Hawkins got any run. Hawkins himself was touted as a more NBA ready prospect than anyone we have coming in this year and he looked like he couldn't dribble a basketball for large stretches of the season.

Long story short, I think we need to pump the breaks on the impact these kids have next year. If DC plays around 8 mpg in the BE portion of the schedule and looks like he belongs that would be a huge win. If Karaban can come off the bench once in awhile and provide some three point shooting, another huge win. Let's stop acting like these are top 10 recruits saddled with coming in and immediately setting the world on fire. We have enough talented returning kids/transfers in not to expect too much too soon from these guys.
Freshmen not playing every year and transferring out is a recipe for no success.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hopefully not. Hopefully we are less of a hard hedging one trick pony.
Maybe. In theory, with a team loaded with wings, big guards and guys who can defend multiple positions, they could switch more. Play D more like the Celtics. It's something I'm watching to see. If so, then the 5 should sag more in the paint against most teams. Cole was a limiting factor in our ability to switch last year, and probably Polley as well, guarding quicker guys.

Reaction Score

Your take on DC is perfect and I don't think there's many if any who believe he will ever be putting in 10-12 minutes games. If he can put in 5-8 minutes a game when AS is tired or in foul trouble it will be excellent. I realize there are others and other lineups that can be played but having that big in is important most of the time.

Reaction Score
The PPG that Donovan contributes misses the point.

In some games he will get meaningful minutes. In others he will barely see the floor. His impact will be felt if he can help us win a few more games. If he can deliver or even just hold his own in a match up that favors our opponents. That he has a game or two where he blows up and makes a major contribution. Can he help us stay above water in a game or two where fouls force him on the floor?

These are the minutes that will count for DC this year. They will determine his value. And that value could, indeed, be significant.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
by now, i thought we'd be discussing how deep we could go in the tourney with this crew
jax, hawk, adama, alex, donovan, jalen, corey, samson, cook.
nice looking squad, no?
but, alas, no.
instead, we get a seemingly hodgepoge group that we are all wondering 'who stands where on the court? who does what?'

im told 'we have shooters.' who are these shooters? can they shoot when it means something, ya know, like 'clutchtime?'
to be fair, these guys say that im all wet, and beyond wrong by asking the question:
'These teams are set up to put on a shooting display in 2022-23:'
Projecting college basketball's best shooting teams in 2022-23
of course, i don't pay much attention to tv stock geniuses either, so there's that.
im told that we have wall guys, and guys who are locks for the league. who are these wall people, and who are these nba locks? if the draft indicated anything aboot all these superstars in our league, well, mebbe blowing smoke should be a league stat.
and, there seems to be a lot of chat here devoted to, not the upcoming season, but the season after next. not really the way it is supposed to work, unless ncaa tourney futility defines our recent past.

given these facts at hand, for alex, donovan, and samson not to see meaningful court time this season (what can they do? how will we know if they never get to actually show us?) would be, prima facially, coaching malpractice.
what do we have to lose?

mr newton is a lifetime .31% 3 baller.
mr alleyne is a lifetime .39% 3 baller, so there's that.
of course, tyler was a .37% 3 baller...

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
dang, somtimes the hate stalkers just come flyin at me. pretty funny to watch the meter spin backwards. hey management! i should get some kind of award for reverse spins at the next BY awards banquet. i got skilz. 50s or benjy's would be nice.
u mad, brahs?

i mean, sumone has to take out the trash. can get smelly, real quick, if not.

Reaction Score
i could see us beginning the season with a small ball lineup (newton, hawk, alleyne, aj, sanogo) but Samson replacing alleyne in that lineup and aj shifting back down to SF by the start of BE play raises the team's ceiling the highest. he could be akok 2.0.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Of course you don’t know where to start we have no idea who’s going to step up, none. Not sure what you’re thinking or if you even are. Are they playing 4 guards with Sanogo? I mean no way Clingan is starting I do realize that but who is, Johnson or Karaban? Alleyne? Who? We probably have a clue on 3 or 4 that’s it. There will be many different lineups, starting as well I’m guessing.
LOL. You are correct. All of the suggestions in this thread are based on conjecture. There are a lot of unknowns given the amount of change including the loss of important contributors.

Now there are better and worse probabilities of what might take place. But never say never or say absolutely something will happen. We've seen so many predictions or surprises over the years to realize that the only predictable thing is nothing is predictable absolutely. You'd think by now most posters would realize this but that failure supports our contention that things don't follow expectations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom