Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs | The Boneyard

Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs

Reaction Score
Curious what folks think about how Hurley will use these four players.

Karaban and Jackson will play at the 4 spot, but the four players I listed are essentially our 'bigs'. We know primarily how Hurley will use Sanogo, but I'm thinking it might be smart to throw Clingan into the fire with backup center's minutes early and consistently, so he might contribute later in the season when Sanogo is out of the game with fouls etc.. And if not, do Johnson and Springs spend any time at the 5? I know Johnson will spend time at the 4, but what about Springs, might he get some time at the 4? Will Springs be part of the rotation?

Whatya all think?

Reaction Score
Sonogo will play first team minutes and be our primary offensive threat. Jackson starts at the 3. Johnson plays significant time at the 4. Clingan backs up Sonogo and may play with him at times. Springs plays minutes at times. And I think he plays well.

Reaction Score
Sonogo will play first team minutes and be our primary offensive threat. Jackson starts at the 3. Johnson plays significant time at the 4. Clingan backs up Sonogo and may play with him at times. Springs plays minutes at times. And I think he plays well.
On what planet is Clingan going to be on the court at the same time as Sanogo? That is asking for absolute disaster on offense and defense.

And the only way Springs cracks the rotation is if he plays back up, back up minutes at the 5. The 4 spot is going to be a mix of Jackson, Karaban, and Johnson at all times. I don't see him getting any playing time over Clingan unless he is really struggling to adjust - and you definitely are not taking the likely BE Preseason POY off the court to give Springs additional minutes.

Reaction Score
On what planet is Clingan going to be on the court at the same time as Sanogo? That is asking for absolute disaster on offense and defense.

And the only way Springs cracks the rotation is if he plays back up, back up minutes at the 5. The 4 spot is going to be a mix of Jackson, Karaban, and Johnson at all times. I don't see him getting any playing time over Clingan unless he is really struggling to adjust - and you definitely are not taking the likely BE Preseason POY off the court to give Springs additional minutes.
Will it be for long stretches, prob not. But I think we’ll see small samples of Adama at the 4 next to Clingan this year

Reaction Score
Stop. I do t think this happens until DC figures “it” but what evidence do you have that Johnson or Karaban are better than DC?

Reaction Score
Stop. I do t think this happens until DC figures “it” but what evidence do you have that Johnson or Karaban are better than DC?
Both of them have already been in the program, and Johnson already has game action, what evidence do you have DC is better? And that's really besides the point anyway, because it's not a question of who's better, it's a question of who's a better fit at the 4 position

Reaction Score
Both of them have already been in the program, and Johnson already has game action, what evidence do you have DC is better? And that's really besides the point anyway, because it's not a question of who's better, it's a question of who's a better fit at the 4 position
I never said he was better. I’m just saying that a top 50, 7’2” kid may get some playing time and there is no evidence that the older kids are better.

Reaction Score
I never said he was better. I’m just saying that a top 50, 7’2” kid may get some playing time and there is no evidence that the older kids are better.
Yes, we're not arguing the claim that Clingan is going to play which is perfectly reasonable. We're arguing the claim that Clingan is going to play next to Sanogo which is insane

Reaction Score
If Springs wins rotation minutes good for him, and I fully admit that when we play him in garbage time he generally looks fine. But I can’t think of a player who has gone three years in the program without a single meaningful minute and then becomes a real rotation player in his fourth year, and I have no reason to think Springs will now make the rotation.

Whether DC ever lines up with Sanogo will be totally dependent on whether Sanogo has successfully developed a perimeter game because doing so is the only way he’s ever going to play in the NBA. I doubt it but given how hard he works who knows.

Reaction Score
Yes, we're not arguing the claim that Clingan is going to play which is perfectly reasonable. We're arguing the claim that Clingan is going to play next to Sanogo which is insane
These things go in cycles. At some point, a double big team is going to make a smaller team pay dearly in the paint. The other thing is you don’t need 5 guys to run. You need 2 guys to get the rebound and 3 guys to run the break with perhaps one trailer.

pj

Reaction Score

If Sanogo's path to the NBA is to develop his perimeter defense and facing-the-basket game, then you might see some minutes with this as a developmental tactic. Perhaps in blowouts.

Reaction Score
Sanogo - 32 mpg at the 5
Clingan - 5-7 mpg backup at the 5

Johnson - 15-20 mpg at the 4, maybe a few minutes at the 5 when we go small or if Clingan is unplayable

Springs - no meaningful minutes, a dozen or so appearances throughout the year in blowouts

Reaction Score
Whatya all think?
Sanogo: Continues to play close to 30 minutes per game, makes Big East first team.

Clingan: A few DNPs, but will play most of the backup minutes at the 5. If posted here numerous times that it's very normal that freshman bigs play sparingly, especially when behind a dominant big, so if he finishes the season playing like 25 games and averaging about 8 mpg, that's really the most could expect, assuming Sanogo stays healthy.

Johnson: With Sanogo and Clingan only playing the five, imagining Johnson's role is hard to pin down considering I see Hurley's utilizing the versatility of this roster to give a lot of different looks.

Johnson's PT will be inconsistent, but he'll probably play close to Akok's minutes last season, 14 mpg, playing most of his minutes at the 4 and maybe some small ball 5 against the smaller teams, however at first glance of our schedule, most of the smaller teams we play will be the cupcakes: Oregon (Dante/Ware), Oklahoma State (Cisse) and Florida (Castleton) all have very capable bigs, although Oklahoma State played a lot of small ball last season. To be honest, I don't see Johnson's future as a big, so I've kinda sailed away from Johnson as a small ball big dream and see him more as a rim-running four who stretches the floor enough to create space.

Springs: He's our 11th guy and will play garbage time. Good depth piece, but if he's getting regular playing time, it's for a reason we don't want: an injury to one of the bigs/forwards, Karaban/Johnson don't step up, etc. I like him though and hope he finishes out his career here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t understand the people who watched us struggle to score with Whaley and Sanogo on the court at the same time, and then want us to do the exact same thing again this year. Clingan and Sanogo should never be on the court together unless Hurley has lost his damn mind

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don’t understand the people who watched us struggle to score with Whaley and Sanogo on the court at the same time, and then want us to do the exact same thing again this year. Clingan and Sanogo should never be on the court together unless Hurley has lost his damn mind
Clingan’s not Whaley. Not by a longshot. Different strengths and weaknesses.

BL has this right though. If this happens it will be more a statement of where Sanogo is them where Clingan is.

In any event, one thing I am hoping for this year is that early gives the new guys more burn earlier in the year to let them get used to the college game. Given the amount of turnover on our roster, that may be unavoidable, but I hope he goes deep into the bench early and often during blowouts.

Reaction Score
I don't see why it is 'insane' to try Sanogo & Clingan on the court at the same time in certain game situations. Clingan has said he expects it, and a while back there was an idle comment from Hurley about that possibility, so they obviously don't think its insane. Noone expects that that will be our lineup, but if Clingan can hit and pass from the foul line to Sanogo on the baseline, or Karaban/Alleyene in the corners, that would be tough to defend in a possession by possession sequence at the end of a game or half. We have discussed defensive adjustments or zone to keep Clingan in the paint, and not every team has enough three point shooting to retaliate. I'm not predicting we will see this much, but giving it a try might have an upside.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
My feeling is SJ is going to get the majority of the minutes at 5 with AS getting rest. Seems unlikely that we are getting meaningful minutes in meaningful games from DC until 2023 at the earliest…

Reaction Score
These things go in cycles. At some point, a double big team is going to make a smaller team pay dearly in the paint. The other thing is you don’t need 5 guys to run. You need 2 guys to get the rebound and 3 guys to run the break with perhaps one trailer.
I love it when a big runs the court as a trailer. The opposing big won’t want to run with him and it will tire him out if he does. If all 5 guys run it makes the secondary break more effective

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
AJ, SJ, AK, and Richie should all get time at the 4 before Clingan. The spacing would be horrendous if DC and Sanogo were on the floor together and be bad defensively. We saw how it was with Whaley and he was a veteran who could somewhat shoot from 3 and was a DPOY.

No way should that lineup ever be a thing. Also this year is now or never for Richie. If DC isn’t all the way ready it’s time for him to see some minutes at the 5.

Reaction Score
Hearing that Clingans offensive game in particular passing and mid range shooting is further along than expected. Good early reviews
What's going to keep him in the floor is the other end.

Reaction Score
I don't see why it is 'insane' to try Sanogo & Clingan on the court at the same time in certain game situations. Clingan has said he expects it, and a while back there was an idle comment from Hurley about that possibility, so they obviously don't think its insane. Noone expects that that will be our lineup, but if Clingan can hit and pass from the foul line to Sanogo on the baseline, or Karaban/Alleyene in the corners, that would be tough to defend in a possession by possession sequence at the end of a game or half. We have discussed defensive adjustments or zone to keep Clingan in the paint, and not every team has enough three point shooting to retaliate. I'm not predicting we will see this much, but giving it a try might have an upside.
This is pretty out-of-date thinking, no offense. There really isn't a "high post" role anymore, it's not differentiated from the low post enough and clogs things up just the same, while the foul line jumper is usually not a good shot. This is why virtually everyone plays 4-out.

Your #4 simply has to be a threat from the perimeter, because that's where he's going to be camping when Sanogo (in our case) has the ball down low. Akok sort of was, though he couldn't do much else. Whaley became a better shooter than he got credit for, but even that wasn't enough most of the time. Neither Sanogo nor Clingan will be enough of a threat from the 3 point line for them to play together.

Reaction Score
Sanogo: Continues to play close to 30 minutes per game, makes Big East first team.

Clingan: A few DNPs, but will play most of the backup minutes at the 5. If posted here numerous times that it's very normal that freshman bigs play sparingly, especially when behind a dominant big, so if he finishes the season playing like 25 games and averaging about 8 mpg, that's really the most could expect, assuming Sanogo stays healthy.

Johnson: With Sanogo and Clingan only playing the five, imagining Johnson's role is hard to pin down considering I see Hurley's utilizing the versatility of this roster to give a lot of different looks.

Johnson's PT will be inconsistent, but he'll probably play close to Akok's minutes last season, 14 mpg, playing most of his minutes at the 4 and maybe some small ball 5 against the smaller teams, however at first glance of our schedule, most of the smaller teams we play will be the cupcakes: Oregon (Dante/Ware), Oklahoma State (Cisse) and Florida (Castleton) all have very capable bigs, although Oklahoma State played a lot of small ball last season. To be honest, I don't see Johnson's future as a big, so I've kinda sailed away from Johnson as a small ball big dream and see him more as a rim-running four who stretches the floor enough to create space.

Springs: He's our 11th guy and will play garbage time. Good depth piece, but if he's getting regular playing time, it's for a reason we don't want: an injury to one of the bigs/forwards, Karaban/Johnson don't step up, etc. I like him though and hope he finishes out his career here.
I don't see Johnson as being too effective at the 5 defensively especially; I think he will find his niche as a secondary rim protector as a 4 man, just like Akok. On offense this year he'll have a a mostly green light to shoot, so I'm hoping he can knock them down, or have an effective first step.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Curious what folks think about how Hurley will use these four players.

Karaban and Jackson will play at the 4 spot, but the four players I listed are essentially our 'bigs'. We know primarily how Hurley will use Sanogo, but I'm thinking it might be smart to throw Clingan into the fire with backup center's minutes early and consistently, so he might contribute later in the season when Sanogo is out of the game with fouls etc.. And if not, do Johnson and Springs spend any time at the 5? I know Johnson will spend time at the 4, but what about Springs, might he get some time at the 4? Will Springs be part of the rotation?

Whatya all think?
'Whatya all think?'
methinks DC is the best 3 baller of the bunch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom