Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sanogo, Clingan, Johnson, and Springs

Reaction Score
How much have we seen Johnson, Springs and Clingan? Answer, hardly at all. I love these definitive pronouncements about how these guys will definitely perform. There’s one thing that I say Clingan will definitely be able to do and that is be over 7 feet tall and grab rebounds, probably without even jumping.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Curious what folks think about how Hurley will use these four players.

Karaban and Jackson will play at the 4 spot, but the four players I listed are essentially our 'bigs'. We know primarily how Hurley will use Sanogo, but I'm thinking it might be smart to throw Clingan into the fire with backup center's minutes early and consistently, so he might contribute later in the season when Sanogo is out of the game with fouls etc.. And if not, do Johnson and Springs spend any time at the 5? I know Johnson will spend time at the 4, but what about Springs, might he get some time at the 4? Will Springs be part of the rotation?

Whatya all think?
Disagree with your initial premise. I think Johnson will start at the 4. Karaban will play some 4 and some 3. Jackson might play 5-10 mpg at the 4 but will mostly be the 3 like last year. I don’t see many minutes for Clingan in league games, unless Hurley completely changes his defense. I’d say Johnson gets as much time as the backup 5 as Clingan. Those may be the minutes where AJax is a 4. I expect Alleyne to be the 6th man.

As for Sanogo and Clingan, it wouldn’t make sense. Sanogo can show his face up game on offense as a 5. He doesn’t need to do that with Clingan standing in the paint. In fact, he’d be more effective with if we essentially leave the post empty. Sanogo and Clingan together is a bad defensive lineup.

Reaction Score
Sanogos feet have improved dramatically on defense not sure of the struggle you point to? They will be challenged on the defensive end with them both on the floor so it would need to be versus certain lineups. But it could also challenge the other teams defense right?
It’s not a shot against him, that’s just not his game. He’s a big traditional low-post center that doesn’t have the foot speed to match up well when he has to guard the perimeter (especially with someone that can put it on the floor, see Nova). You deal with it to keep his offense in the game but asking him to do that when it’s not totally necessary is bonkers. There’s literally no upside in this situation. What is the challenge it poses to the opposing defense? That we have a 7 footer who isn’t a threat to create from the perimeter forced to camp out at the three point line and hopefully shoot/pass well enough to not be a total non-factor on offense? It’s a lineup that hurts UConn offensively and defensively.
Terrible idea? We don’t even know what lineup works yet so for now their all terrible.
I have no clue where to even start with this point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
People are funny thinking there’s no shot a 7 footer who can pass the ball and make some shots can’t be on the court with a 6’8 PF in Sanogo. Will it be a lot, no but get ready because it’s going to happen and why wouldn’t it?

And DNPs? Nope not unless both Samson and Karaban are off the charts.

Ye of little faith!
I expect several DNPs. The problem is defense. Not offense. We have to completely change our defense any time he’s on the court.

Reaction Score
Disagree with your initial premise. I think Johnson will start at the 4. Karaban will play some 4 and some 3. Jackson might play 5-10 mpg at the 4 but will mostly be the 3 like last year. I don’t see many minutes for Clingan in league games, unless Hurley completely changes his defense. I’d say Johnson gets as much time as the backup 5 as Clingan. Those may be the minutes where AJax is a 4. I expect Alleyne to be the 6th man.

As for Sanogo and Clingan, it wouldn’t make sense. Sanogo can show his face up game on offense as a 5. He doesn’t need to do that with Clingan standing in the paint. In fact, he’d be more effective with if we essentially leave the post empty. Sanogo and Clingan together is a bad defensive lineup.
That's not my original premise. Yes, Karaban and Jackson will play at the 4, but they will both also see time at the 3. As far as who starts at the 4 I think it will be Johnson, if he can earn that over Karaban. Johnson can potentially make it much harder to attack the rim on defense, and that is a significant part of the puzzle. So if Johnson's whole game has improved, both defensively, and he's a legit threat on offense, then I think he'll start, unless Karaban is ridiculously good right out of the gate.

A third possible lineup is Jackson at the 4 and Hawkins and Alleyne at the 2 and the 3 with Newton at the 1, Sanogo in the post. It's a smaller lineup though.

We shall see :)

Reaction Score
I must say, the near total write-off of DC and the persistent under-valuation of AK, two of the more exciting freshmen prospects we have recently recruited, is breathtaking!

These two were not recruited for their athleticism, which invariably takes time to adjust to college-level play (e.g., Hawkins, Jackson, etc.). They were recruited rather for their specialties, DC specializing in massive interior intimidation and AK in deadeye sharpshooting. Besides which, both have demonstrated a degree of passing skill and overall court awareness -- bonus traits that nicely enhance their immediate potential. Pardon me if I expect a contribution from these two that is likely to exceed the improvement we hope for from several aforementioned returnees.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I expect several DNPs. The problem is defense. Not offense. We have to completely change our defense any time he’s on the court.
Hopefully not. Hopefully we are less of a hard hedging one trick pony.

Reaction Score
Editing my last post just above; ran out of time apparently, first time ever.

About that third possible lineup, the size of it may not matchup well with some of our opponents and I don't know enough to know how good the veteran Alleyne might be this year, but if he is smoking good this season it might be a possibility. Just a thought, who knows?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sanogo needs to use the glass and all his problems will be solved. Some staffer needs to put a video together with the best of Duncan and McHale for inspiration.

Reaction Score
College basketball has and will always be about match ups. So there may be times when Sanogo/Clingan makes sense.

Last year's home game versus PCU is an example where it could have helped.

Reaction Score
On Paige, they were up almost 20 with under a minute to go. They could have used a walk on or a fan from the stands, and they would have won.
Agreed, I just think Geno figured she just had to walk the ball up the floor. It really was as 'freakish' an injury as I've ever seen. She just kind did one of those change of pace jab step type moves and it shows how quickly things can change. It's why I wouldn't want Sanogo out there in a blowout polishing his game at one end and going full tilt doing so.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is # 13’s lucky year. He will start at the 4 and play 28-30 minutes a game.

Now I don’t believe a word I’m writing. But someone has to give Richie some love!

Reaction Score
Agreed, I just think Geno figured she just had to walk the ball up the floor. It really was as 'freakish' an injury as I've ever seen. She just kind did one of those change of pace jab step type moves and it shows how quickly things can change. It's why I wouldn't want Sanogo out there in a blowout polishing his game at one end and going full tilt doing so.

My heart stopped every time RJ did one of those violent, full force jump-stops when UConn was up double digits with just a couple minutes to go

Last year we didn't have a garbage time unit that could close out blowouts without giving up a 10-0 run in 90 seconds. Hopefully we have that this season so we can avoid situations like those. On paper we certainly have that squad

Reaction Score
On what planet is Clingan going to be on the court at the same time as Sanogo? That is asking for absolute disaster on offense and defense.

And the only way Springs cracks the rotation is if he plays back up, back up minutes at the 5. The 4 spot is going to be a mix of Jackson, Karaban, and Johnson at all times. I don't see him getting any playing time over Clingan unless he is really struggling to adjust - and you definitely are not taking the likely BE Preseason POY off the court to give Springs additional minutes.
BS Look for Clingan to be IMPACT.
TOO BIG WITH BIG WINNING ATTITUDE.

Reaction Score

Last year's lineup was a loser. Hurley better find a lot of time for Clingan somewhere if he wants to win. UC has never had anyone like him.
How many 3 pt attempts did Clingan block from NWC et all last year.
Clingan is a BASKETBALL PLAYER. WATCHED EVERY CIAC TOURNAMENT GAME HE PLAYED LASTYEAR.

Reaction Score
Last year's lineup was a loser. Hurley better find a lot of time for Clingan somewhere if he wants to win. UC has never had anyone like him.
Clingan is a BASKETBALL PLAYER. WATCHED EVERY CIAC TOURNAMENT GAME HE PLAYED LASTYEAR.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say he might be asked to defend some better players and systems than he did against NWC. Love his potential, but let’s maybe keep the expectations for a freshman center in check.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Is UConn playing CIAC teams next year? I hope he’s great. But he’s slow, and I’m not sure he can overcome that.

Reaction Score
It’s not a shot against him, that’s just not his game. He’s a big traditional low-post center that doesn’t have the foot speed to match up well when he has to guard the perimeter (especially with someone that can put it on the floor, see Nova). You deal with it to keep his offense in the game but asking him to do that when it’s not totally necessary is bonkers. There’s literally no upside in this situation. What is the challenge it poses to the opposing defense? That we have a 7 footer who isn’t a threat to create from the perimeter forced to camp out at the three point line and hopefully shoot/pass well enough to not be a total non-factor on offense? It’s a lineup that hurts UConn offensively and defensively.

I have no clue where to even start with this point.

Of course you don’t know where to start we have no idea who’s going to step up, none. Not sure what you’re thinking or if you even are. Are they playing 4 guards with Sanogo? I mean no way Clingan is starting I do realize that but who is, Johnson or Karaban? Alleyne? Who? We probably have a clue on 3 or 4 that’s it. There will be many different lineups, starting as well I’m guessing.

Reaction Score
Is UConn playing CIAC teams next year? I hope he’s great. But he’s slow, and I’m not sure he can overcome that.

I think the board has now officially gone wayyyy overboard burying Clingan to psychologically self-protect and depress expectations for the Boneyard Hive-Mind.

But I hope the pendulum comes back just a bit - I think its hard to properly calibrate how valuable a 7'2 skilled offensive big is. Is defense a question mark - sure. But the first time you see Clingan out there towering 6" taller than some 6'8 kid playing center for (fill in random school here) just mauling him at the rim will be quite satisfying and just hard to stop period.

And on defense, just to stand up to a Kalkbrenner type who crushed our undersized bigs last year will be hilarious when he turns and just looks up at DC and knows its a different matchup this year.

Reaction Score
Being 7’2” with a gigantic wingspan helps overcome that.

Reaction Score
Being 7’2” with a gigantic wingspan helps overcome that.

I highly doubt he's blocking many people on the perimeter as coachn suggested. His blocks are going to come in the helpside

Reaction Score
Of course you don’t know where to start we have no idea who’s going to step up, none. Not sure what you’re thinking or if you even are. Are they playing 4 guards with Sanogo? I mean no way Clingan is starting I do realize that but who is, Johnson or Karaban? Alleyne? Who? We probably have a clue on 3 or 4 that’s it. There will be many different lineups, starting as well I’m guessing.
My point is that having some question marks does not make a lineup necessarily a terrible idea. Having two centers with questionable at best foot speed and little to no ability to create from the perimeter does. All July rotation speculations are not created equal.

Reaction Score
I think the board has now officially gone wayyyy overboard burying Clingan to psychologically self-protect and depress expectations for the Boneyard Hive-Mind.

But I hope the pendulum comes back just a bit - I think its hard to properly calibrate how valuable a 7'2 skilled offensive big is. Is defense a question mark - sure. But the first time you see Clingan out there towering 6" taller than some 6'8 kid playing center for (fill in random school here) just mauling him at the rim will be quite satisfying and just hard to stop period.

And on defense, just to stand up to a Kalkbrenner type who crushed our undersized bigs last year will be hilarious when he turns and just looks up at DC and knows its a different matchup this year.
You unintentionally hit the nail on the head here, Kalkbrenner is the perfect comp for Clingan. He did crush our bigs last year, but that was as a sophomore. His freshman year went how I expect Clingan's to go. He averaged 13 minutes, with more against weak competition, and showed flashes on offense. But lots of games where he looked lost on defense and was in foul trouble which kept his minutes limited

Reaction Score
My point is that having some question marks does not make a lineup necessarily a terrible idea. Having two centers with questionable at best foot speed and little to no ability to create from the perimeter does. All July rotation speculations are not created equal.

Wait, what makes you think Adamas foot speed is questionable? He was so much better at guarding the opposition, frankly very good for his size by years end. I have no doubt Clingan will have trouble on the defensive end if he needs to go out tot he perimeter, much like AS as a freshman but he still brings things to the table which can create a nuisance for the other teams defense and he can shoot it a bit from the perimeter. By no means do I see tons of minutes but so many are leaving him as "wait until he's a junior." Guess we will all see.

Most importantly is what we get for improvement from others anyway, it's all about Hawkins, Johnson and Karaban as well as how the transfers fit in. So many question marks yet so much excitement about the potential lineups.

Reaction Score
Wait, what makes you think Adamas foot speed is questionable? He was so much better at guarding the opposition, frankly very good for his size by years end.
We were clearly watching different games. I'm not saying the dude has lead feet, but he's a 240-250 lb center and if you're asking him to go guard a modern 4 the can create from the perimeter, it's going to be a bad time for everyone, which will end with some very quick foul trouble. It's the same reason I don't think Hurley should be asking Hawkins to defend a post player, it's just not his game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom